Rice krispie bars

Options
I LOVE rice krispie bars! But I want to try to find a healthier version that still tastes great. Any ideas of what could be used in place of marshmallows? And a low fat chocolate to drizzle on top?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    It is a sugary treat. You aren't going to make Rice Krispies bars healthy, unless the puffed rice cereal is bound by kale and flax seed and you eliminate the sugar. As far as sugary snacks go, you could do a lot worse than Rice Krispies bars.

Sugary treats are OK, so long as you eat them in moderation and fit them into your calories.
  • Ilysandrew11
    Ilysandrew11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It is a sugary treat. You aren't going to make Rice Krispies bars healthy, unless the puffed rice cereal is bound by kale and flax seed and you eliminate the sugar. As far as sugary snacks go, you could do a lot worse than Rice Krispies bars.

Sugary treats are OK, so long as you eat them in moderation and fit them into your calories.

I agree with this....as long as you dont eat a full pan in one sitting and it fits into your daily calorie limit, then go for it!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Sorry but the Rice Krispies themselves are processed junk that turns swiftly to sugar in the body you cannot make them healthy. There is no such thing as low fat chocolate, cocoa itself is quite high in fat although you can purchase reduced fat cocoa powder, in chocolate it is bound with fat to give the right mouth feel. You can buy no added sugar marshmallows, but they are still artificial rubbish. You may as well eat the regular RK bars within the recommended 10% daily calories on sugary/ processed/ refined junk.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Marshmallows are marshmallows. There is no substitute. Sorry. :ohwell:
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    blah blah. rice krispies are not the worst thing to eat on planet earth. Have one.
  • tz841
    tz841 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    ....as long as you dont eat a full pan in one sitting

Back when I was 10 years old, Mom made a whole pan of Rice Krispy bars then she went out to cut the grass. I happened upon them cooling in the kitchen, ate the whole pan, and was sick for days afterward...it stopped me from ever wanting them again. :happy:
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Use a multigrain cereal and add some flax seed? You might not be able to lower the calorie count but you could up what it gives you instead so you can feel better about eating it :)
  • floopysandi
    floopysandi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You can make them with peanut butter instead... still not great calorie-wise though.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    There's always popcorn balls too, lol.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I just had one. Delicious.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    We vegans make theirs with either corn syrup (not healthy) or brown rice syrup. :)

http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2012/06/5-ingredient-vegan-rice-crispy-treats/
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    We just made two pans of Rice Krispie treats with melted chocolate chips over the top. We got the recipe from Skinnytaste.com and added the chocolate chips on our own. 1/16 of a 9x13 pan worked out to be 152 calories. I refuse to deprive myself of my treats and this is a really tasty one!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I add spinach or kale to mine (depending on which is on sale lol) and it makes it healthier.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Use a multigrain cereal and add some flax seed? You might not be able to lower the calorie count but you could up what it gives you instead so you can feel better about eating it :)

The idea of adding a little flax is actually a great idea... a suggestion for the cereal is to do the multi-grain chex cereals, just look at the box to get a better understanding of which type to use. It's not quite the same consistency but it will make them a tad better for you and still solve that sweets craving :)
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    try mashed up bananas.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Is nothing sacred?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    try mashed up bananas.

Have you tried this? I can't imagine what that would be like if you didn't eat them immediately. All brown and gross.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    try mashed up bananas.

This
  • PottsvilleCurse1925
    PottsvilleCurse1925 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Corn syrup!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    try mashed up bananas.

This

Bananas make you fat, haven't you seen those ads? Really you shouldn't answer unless you have good advice, this person is trying to FIX their diet not make it worse.