On-the-go Breakfast

Options
I am a working mother who has been forgetting to take the time to eat breakfast.

I have cut breads and potatoes out of my diet (for the most part) and I need some ideas for breakfast (other than waffles and poptarts) that I can eat on the go.

Replies

• changejen2013
    Options
    My breakfasts lately have been oatmeal and fruit. Cut up fruit and prepare it the night before.
    Low calorie, filling, and warm on a nice cold morning like we've had.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, a half serving of grape nuts and BERRIES.

Ok, we don't get berries very often, but they were on sale last week!
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    A lot of people dont like this but I LOVE it...

Refridgerator Oatmeal [get recipes from theyummylife.com] - When I was eating oats it was a great "on the go" breakfast that I could eat on the bus.

Eggs in a wrap are also good. If you've cut out breads to lower carbs, you can get low carb tortillas - actually regular tortillas dont have a lot of carbs if you get the small ones.

Hard boiled eggs.

Greek Yogurt with fixin's - chia seeds, cereal, berries, other fruits

Cottage Cheese - with or without fixin's

ETA: Breakfast Egg Muffins [recipes fromhttp://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.ca/2009/10/party-time-confetti-bites.html ] - she calls them Egg Bites
  • sevin2
    sevin2 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - working mom and always busy, busy, busy! I hard boil a dozen eggs every Sunday and they work great for an on the go or quick breakfast. I have to pack breakfast/lunch for my kiddos (3 &1) two days a week in addition to my own lunch every day. So it works for the kids, me, and even the hubs steals them for his breakfast when he's in a hurry...
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Hard-boiled eggs, LF cheesesticks, a handful of cherry or grape tomatoes, some green or red pepper slices, cut up fruit .......
  • Jen21878
    Jen21878 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My go to breakfast as a lately are egg muffins. They are delish! You can make them ahead of time - then pop them in the microwave for a minute and you're good to go! You can add whatever veggie/meat you want! You can add cheese too - but I'm currently cleansinig so I'm staying away from dairy. I make mine with turkey sausage and red pepper!
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I too am an on-the-go mom.

Put fruit on the counter so it's quick to grab. Bananas and apples are good to-go foods.

I hardboil eggs on Sunday and grab one or two in the morning when I'm out the door.

Also, if you have 5 minutes, take 2 eggs, a splash of milk, whisk them in a mug/bowl and toss it in the microwave for 40 seconds. Whip it, and then put back in the microwave for another 40. Whip it again, add some pepper, and BAM scrambled eggs.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I made a really good smoothie this morning and put it in a take out thermos to have on the way to work. Skimmed milk, banana, peanut butter and chocolate protein powder. Yummy!
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Oh! And I used to get 2 nutrigrain waffles, put some peanut butter on them, and eat it like a sandwich. You can get fancy and sprinkle some cinnamon on em too.
  • randilious
    Options
    i have been eating half a protein bar, or a protein shake, about 150 cals and lots of protein! seems to keep me full for a couple hours!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i also find that protien in the morning keeps me satisfied but the protien shake doesn't usually cut it for me. I"ve been doing scrambled eggs a lot lately because the diet i am on calls for more protien, but i used to do a bowl of oatmeal (fairly low GI) with frozen fruit, and strawberry protien mix.

Heres something you can do the night before and throw in the microwave:

banana blue berry pancakes

mash one large banana with one large egg to make a batter

poor onto medium heat skillet (makes like 3)

add 5-7 blue berries per cake

heat till golden brown

approx 65 calories, like 28 g of carbs, 9 g of protien, 2 g fat per pancake (if cakes are equal size)

honestly think they taste better then pancakes. the carbs are all natural fructose (super low GI). I didn't even need syrup which is unheard of for me.
  • sevin2
    sevin2 Posts: 19
    Options

heat till golden brown

approx 65 calories, like 28 g of carbs, 9 g of protien, 2 g fat per pancake (if cakes are equal size)

honestly think they taste better then pancakes. the carbs are all natural fructose (super low GI). I didn't even need syrup which is unheard of for me.
    That sounds easy and like something my kids will eat too... I'm going to try these! Thanks for sharing!
  • 52in13
    52in13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I love me some good oatmeal too.

Sometimes I will prep it all in a tupperware and then heat it and eat it at work. Takes 2 minutes to cook...not much longer to eat! LOL
  • 52in13
    Options
    My breakfasts lately have been oatmeal and fruit. Cut up fruit and prepare it the night before.
    Low calorie, filling, and warm on a nice cold morning like we've had.

I don't have much time for oatmeal, but you just gave me a great idea for some pre-prepared, home-made fruit cups. Yum!
  • kw0205
    kw0205 Posts: 62
    Options
    i also find that protien in the morning keeps me satisfied but the protien shake doesn't usually cut it for me. I"ve been doing scrambled eggs a lot lately because the diet i am on calls for more protien, but i used to do a bowl of oatmeal (fairly low GI) with frozen fruit, and strawberry protien mix.

Heres something you can do the night before and throw in the microwave:

heat till golden brown

YUM - thank you!!
  • 52in13
    Options

heat till golden brown

That sounds easy and like something my kids will eat too... I'm going to try these! Thanks for sharing!

I am definately going to try these too!
  • LAD1981
    LAD1981 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Recently did egg muffins, they're great.
    12 eggs, some chopped up low fat ham or turkey, whatever, some chopped onion and zucchini (pan fried with s&p, herbs, whatever you want) little bit of parmesan and anything you like.. whisk it all up and pour into muffin pan, bake for about 15 mins.

I pop 2 muffins into freezer bags, freeze, then take out 2 the night before and eat on the go! Heat up in microwave if you have access but whatever suits. You can add what you like too.
  • amarna13
    amarna13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Usually I just grab a yogurt, fruit of some sort like a banana, apple or orange, a cheesestick or a hard-boiled egg, or some combination of the above.
  • mrg68
    mrg68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and drive into town for 15 minutes to take boys to school and get to work so oatmeal or mug breakfasts don't work for me most mornings. I like the nutrigrain bars, then I eat yogurt or fruit once I'm at work, if I get the chance. This week, I've been soooo hungry so I am trying to increase my protein to see if that will help with that. I bought some protein meal bars by Special K and had one today. It was good and I wasn't near as hungry as I was yesterday. I like the egg muffins mentioned earlier, too. I may have to try that. I also do the nutrigrain lowfat waffles with a little peanut butter, then slice a half a banana on it (then save the other half for a snack for later in the day). I also have recently discovered some breakfast sandwiches also by Special K that are made on flat breads (or thin buns). The egg and veggie ones are really good!

My choices are rather processed but I try to go less processed for the rest of the day. But the fact of the matter is, most quick, on the go meals are going to be rather processed, unless you can make ahead and freeze. I can get to that some times, but with my boys' schedules, weekends can be just as busy as weekdays!!