Some guidance for a new runner ?

Options
I've wanted to run for a while but never seem to get anywhere... since it's January the season of fitness I wanted to give it a go again.

First of all there are a few reasons why I end up not getting anywhere with it:

I feel extremely heavy when I run.
I can't run properly - it feels like I land on each foot in one go rather than heel to toe much like they are just slapping the ground.

Aside from the above, what is a good distance to run for a first(ish) timer ? Am I better for example to run for 20 minutes and or for 2 miles.

Any tips, guidance etc for me and any other new runners would be really appreciated :)

Replies

• rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Don't go for the gusto all in the 1st time. Start out walking and come up with a pre-determined route that you just enjoy walking. Then grab a stop watch and walk again, but run for a minute, then walk some more, then run for another minute. After your comfortable with that, run for 2 minutes, then walk, so on and so forth.

I hear ya with the "form" of running. I have to continually remind myself to not go flat footed when I run. It's a continuous mind game to remember to run heal to toe. Also remember, that even the best runners, still feel it the next day, so don't think that running is pain free, cause you'll feel it either way.

Lastly, the best advise I can give is SHOES, SHOES, SHOES. When you are planning to rock your joints and your feet with that kind of a workout, you want proper footwear. Make sure you have comfortable shoes or you most certainly won't enjoy running at all. Your knees and hips will thank you for taking these pre-cautions.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of running. It is addictive. First, I would recommend that you start with a couch to 5K program. There are lots out there and you can find an app for your phone that will help you. This type of program gradually increases running time over the course of the program. They are usually a walk/run set up and usually pretty easy to follow. If you can't complete all the running in one of the days you just stay on that day until you can, then you progress. Second, please make sure that you go to a reputable running store and get fitted for the proper shoes. This makes all the difference when you start a running program. They will watch you run and put you in the correct shoes to help prevent injury. Also, heel toe is not actually the best running form. You want to strike on the middle part of your foot. Landing on your heel puts extra pressure on your knees and back and can lead to injuries. Sounds like you might already be a mid-foot striker which is an advantage to you.

Good luck on your running journey. Add me if you'd like :-)
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    From one newbie to another.... here's my advice.

Start with a program like c25k... but don't run... jog! Run for the time, not for the miles. I finished week 8 of C25k on 12/7/12. This week, I'm starting over, but now I'm running all the "runs" and "jogging" all the walks, and I'm adding walking warm-up/cool-down. Now that I can run a 5k (in 43 minutes), my goal is to increase my speed so that I can run a 5k in about 35 minutes. But I need to get my body use to running at a faster pace, so I figure doing c25k a second time is a good thing for me.

Also, to heck with how your feet land. If that is your natural gait, then that is your natural gait. From what I've read, landing on your heel is actually really hard on your legs and will cause shin splints more easily. if you land near the center of your foot, or towards the ball, it is healthier since you are putting the stress on your calf muscles instead of your shin bone. (I'm not a professional anything; this is just what I remember from what I read).

So, my recommendation is to go to a running store and get fitted for running shoes that are appropriate for your running style. I found out that my first pair of shoes were the correct ones for my running style, so I was lucky... but they were worn out and needed to be replaced anyway.
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Heel to toe running puts the most stress on your ankles, knees and hips and is often to blame for shin splints, so you're probably better off not running that way anyway. I usually tend to run toe first, which is great for speed but not so great for long distance running.

When I first started running I had a problem with my throat drying out which would make me start gagging, so my friend told me to try chewing gum while I run to keep my mouth and throat from drying out and it works. I never go for a run without gum now.
  • kegan5
    kegan5 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, looks like my slapping feet might be of benefit to me hooray!

I have some running shoes, generic ones though nothing fitted so perhaps I'll find a running shop and see what they say :)

Thanks for the tips about increasing running/walk times over a period of time, I'll download one of the running apps to keep track of things and I would imagine it'll be easier to keep up with it too :D

On a slight side note, I downloaded Zombie Run last night, I'm wondering whether I should build up a little bit of stamina before starting these missions

K :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I call my gait a frankenstein gait. And you know what? It's better for you! Mid foot landing (NOT heel to toe) and short strides. Better for your body all around.

Look into a C25K program.

Get fitted for shoes at a running specialty store - not a sporting goods store. It WILL make a difference. It should help you avoid injuries and the dreaded shin splints.

Zombies Run is awesome! Will it bother you if you get eaten a lot? If so, wait until later to start it. But, the game doesn't end if you die, so no real reason to wait. I don't use it for every run. Makes me realize I'm due for another Zombie run soon!
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    The people who did Zombies, Run have a 5k training app now.
  • dmeyers1969
    dmeyers1969 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you look into a "couch to 5k" training plan. It is a great plan for people who are not runners to build slowly to be able to run a 5k. Includes walking, running etc.

Good luck!!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    couch 25k!!!!

Look into minimalist running. Heel toe is going to just hurt and mess you up.
    Just go with a slow pace. pace pace.

Speed will come after endurance
  • waynec60
    Options
    I have started the couch to 5k program myself. It seems to be working for me!! I started out trying to do to much, and ended up not running for about five days. Healed up and started that program. I will stick to that for now!!
  • FriggnFantastik
    Options
    Welcome to the world of running. It is addictive. First, I would recommend that you start with a couch to 5K program. There are lots out there and you can find an app for your phone that will help you. This type of program gradually increases running time over the course of the program. They are usually a walk/run set up and usually pretty easy to follow. If you can't complete all the running in one of the days you just stay on that day until you can, then you progress. Second, please make sure that you go to a reputable running store and get fitted for the proper shoes. This makes all the difference when you start a running program. They will watch you run and put you in the correct shoes to help prevent injury. Also, heel toe is not actually the best running form. You want to strike on the middle part of your foot. Landing on your heel puts extra pressure on your knees and back and can lead to injuries. Sounds like you might already be a mid-foot striker which is an advantage to you.

Good luck on your running journey. Add me if you'd like :-)

BEST SUGGESTION EVER!
  • aestrusz
    Options
    Hey Kegan! I started running about 7 months ago using this plan: http://findingmyforever.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-modified-couch-to-5k-plan-how-i.html. It really worked for me because it starts slow and is really modify-able.

As far as form goes, I don't have any expertise. I think it'll come as you practice. Also, I'd advise you to check out running shoes as soon as you feel like you're committed enough that it won't be a waste of money (I'd hate if I bought them and then decided running wasn't for me, you know?). I started running in an old pair of Nike shocks, though, and experienced no serious injury or anything.

Not sure what else you might have talked about, but I can see that others have mentioned pace -- don't worry about pace at all when you're starting!! Slow and steady is fine. :)

Good luck!
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    1&1's is a good idea to start. ("Run" 1 minute, walk 1 minute).
    Stick to MAX 20 minutes your first dozen times out.
    Try for 3 times a week -- no more than that.
    Take short steps. It may feel unnatural, but do it. Trust me. It will minimize injuries.
    Visit a good running store, have them look at your gait, and give you proper shoes.
  • levicrouch
    Options
    1&1's is a good idea to start. ("Run" 1 minute, walk 1 minute).
    Stick to MAX 20 minutes your first dozen times out.
    Try for 3 times a week -- no more than that.
    Take short steps. It may feel unnatural, but do it. Trust me. It will minimize injuries.
    Visit a good running store, have them look at your gait, and give you proper shoes.

+1.

My recommendation is start slowly. Just walk for a while, then gradually run for a bit, then back to walking. Make sure to integrate stretching into your routine, as you start running more you should be in a routine of stretching to prevent injury and to have an overall good experience running.

Once you get to the point where you are running more, be sure to pay attention to your body as you run. Your body will tell you when you are doing something wrong. If you have non-muscle soreness when you run, you are doing something wrong, and should identify what is wrong and correct it before you injure yourself.

In my experience, 90% of what was wrong when I run, is that i need to stretch a muscle better. The other 10% is incorrect running form.
  • kegan5
    kegan5 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hey Kegan! I started running about 7 months ago using this plan: http://findingmyforever.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-modified-couch-to-5k-plan-how-i.html. It really worked for me because it starts slow and is really modify-able.

As far as form goes, I don't have any expertise. I think it'll come as you practice. Also, I'd advise you to check out running shoes as soon as you feel like you're committed enough that it won't be a waste of money (I'd hate if I bought them and then decided running wasn't for me, you know?). I started running in an old pair of Nike shocks, though, and experienced no serious injury or anything.

Not sure what else you might have talked about, but I can see that others have mentioned pace -- don't worry about pace at all when you're starting!! Slow and steady is fine. :)

Good luck!

Thanks for the link, I think I'll give this one a go :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    couch 25k!!!!

Look into minimalist running. Heel toe is going to just hurt and mess you up.
    Just go with a slow pace. pace pace.

Speed will come after endurance

Good advice here. I recently re-introduced myself to running (former track guy) and it's been a slow process. Just take it slow and don't push yourself too hard...you'll a.) injur yourself or b.) get burnt and not want to do it or c.) both. I've been training now for about 1.5 months and I still can't quite run 2 miles and I can literally walk faster than I run. I see little improvements every week and I'm going further and further on my "run" days. My plan has me doing a run day, a HIIT day, and a walk day...I now also go for a nice walk on my non-training days as well, which I couldn't have done a couple months ago.

Also, go get a good pair of shoes...go to a professional running specific store that will take video or you and determine if you pronate or not. The wrong running shoe, even if it's a good shoe will cause all kinds of problems.