Do you need to lift weights when you are very overweight?

Options

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I focused 100% on cardio. I had a goal in mind - get the weight off. Once I got a lot of the weight off, I started with more of a cross training (combining weights AND cardio). For me, weight loss only comes with cardio. But, I definitely wanted the weight side of it once I was thinner so I could have a leaner look to me. Different people will likely tell you different things. You'll get the anti-cardio people who tell you that cardio isn't necessary. There will be people who do both (like me) and people who only want to do cardio.

In all honesty, none of them are "right" or "wrong" - it all depends on YOUR goals.

^This.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Cardio will burn more fat, so listen to your doctors. But strength training (including, but not limited to, weights) will help keep more muscle as lose, so I'd suggest doing both.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You should absolutely be doing some type of resistance training to round it all out
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly how much weight I want to lose but it's significant, maybe 200lbs. My doctor and others just say cardio, cardio, cardio to get the weight off. Should I also be lifting weights or is that not important until an initial 100 lbs is off or so?

Well, here's my opinion.

With cardio it seems generally easier to work off a calorie deficit. If you have a hard time eating under your TDEE (look it up if you don't know what it is, it is not the number mfp gives you), then cardio is great if you have little time to exercise. It is also included easily in daily activity (walk to work instead of drive etc).

Weight training seems to make everyone look phenomenal. And I think it's more important to get rid of the fat vs the weight. The weight people get rid of on high calorie deficits is not all fat, it's muscle/water/other. If I had my time back I would have went harder at the weights, that's coming from someone who doesn't enjoy it. I want stronger bones, a higher resting metabolic rate and I want to be stronger in general. Cardio can't do that for me.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Here's me at the beginning of 2012:

30271570_1429.jpg

all I did to lose weight was calorie restrict and lift weights. Granted, I've been leaner and nearly as strong as I am today before, so my body has an advantage when I decided to rededicate myself this past year.

Resistance training (done safely) is so superior to cardio in an either/or situation it's not even funny. Everyone who strives to be healthy and goes out of their way to exercise should strength train. I firmly believe that.
  • Siany1969
    Options
    I recently joined a gym and was informed at the induction that the non-cardio exercises (can't remember the technical term) are actually better for weight loss than cardio, although they obviously advise a combination of both. Good luck :)
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    YESYESYESYESYEYES!

oh, noob posted a pic...are we posting pics?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am actually going to go against the grain and against what I usually advise. With the amount of weight you have to lose, I would focus on cardio at first. There are a couple of reasons for this

- you will already have significant LBM due to your size
    - at your weight (no offense) the focus should be on losing weight rather than body comp for health reasons
    - seeing results quicker will be more satisfying when you have such a large amount to lose

That being said, when you get down to where you have say 100lb or even 200lb to lose, definitely start lifting.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    Alactic system of burning fuel in the body
    Anaerobic system of burning fuel in the body
    Aerobic system of burning fuel in the body

Exercises that match the way to burn fuel

Muscle fibers contained in the body and how they are best exercised and fuelled - Type 1 and Type II (argue over a and b later)

So, if you research those factors you will only conclude that to aid your weight loss you must do not just aerobic and weight lifting you must make sure that the weight lifted is HEAVY/low reps, Medium/Medium Reps and Light/high reps and cardio should be done at at least 65%-75% of your maximum heart rate.

Or as a trainer, who has been in the business for 40 years, said to their new client looking for weight loss. Cardio burns fat (in lay terms, plus all the other benefits for heart, lungs etc.) and weight training burns inches (body recomposition)

So, cardio burns fat, weights burn inches.

What?

What do you mean, what? What you do not understand, what I wrote is rubbish. What? what what
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Muscle fibers contained in the body and how they are best exercised and fuelled - Type 1 and Type II (argue over a and b later)

So, if you research those factors you will only conclude that to aid your weight loss you must do not just aerobic and weight lifting you must make sure that the weight lifted is HEAVY/low reps, Medium/Medium Reps and Light/high reps and cardio should be done at at least 65%-75% of your maximum heart rate.

Or as a trainer, who has been in the business for 40 years, said to their new client looking for weight loss. Cardio burns fat (in lay terms, plus all the other benefits for heart, lungs etc.) and weight training burns inches (body recomposition)

What?

What do you mean, what? What you do not understand, what I wrote is rubbish. What? what what
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight and I started losing weight in November. I went from barely fitting a 2x to almost out of a size 1x. Every thing I have read says to incorporate cardio and strength training.
  • ssl444
    ssl444 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Weightlifting is still good when you have a lot of weight to loose, as the more muscle you have the more calories your body burns also the afterburn for the calories your body continues to burn after weightlifting is higher than after cardio.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Sounds like your doctor has prescribed cardio for you, this will have been done for the numerous other health benefits that cardiovascular exercise provides, not just for your weight loss.

You have said that you are very overweight, so at the moment you and your doctors priority is to minimise the risk of disease, perhaps reduce medication, improve your cadriovascular system, etc etc.

Keep it simple, you have 200lbs to loose, it's a long journey. The important thing is to start exercising and changing your lifestyle. Just start burning calories, getting in a good habbit, and making a lifestyle change. You aren't going to loose muscle that you don't have whilst your body has so much fat available, so don't be scared into thinking that the treadmill is going to leave you "skinny fat". Your a long way from that and your overall health and disease risk is the important thing right now.

I wouldn't prescribe a lifting program to someone in your situation until you'd made a significant lifestyle change and made good progress on your weight loss and cardiovascular fitness. This will benefit you in the future if you decide to follow a strenght training program.

Not aimed at the OP:

Why does every thread get jumped on by "lift, lift, lift"??? Not everyone is comfortable with a gym or lifting weights, not everyone needs or wants to lift weights. I love the way "muscles burn fat when your not exercising" is always thrown in as a sweeper that pushes all of the other health benefits of cardio under teh table with one big fat brush! There are plenty of ways to maintain muscle tone without lifting weights. None of them matter if your gonna be dead in a year because of heart disease. This isn't a weights v's cardio debate, it's what is appropriate for the person. Loosing weight one step at a time, not one rep at a time.

There's nothing wrong with prescribing cardiovascular exercise to someone with large amounts of weight to loose. Say the OP went to the gym and did 4x30mins lifting per week, what do you think the results for their disease risk, diabetes, weight loss etc would be in 6 weeks? I know it wouldn't be anywhere near what it would if they did 4x30mins cardio per week for 6 weeks.

The important thing for a newcomer or someone with weight to loose is a managable program with results that keep them at it and benefit them in daily life so they will STICK WITH IT.

Anyway, rant over. I'll run off before a dumbell lands my way ;p
  • notthatthis
    Options

What?

So, explain the reason. I would like to know. What is the rubbish part, alactic, anaerobic, aerobic systems?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

30271570_1429.jpg

all I did to lose weight was calorie restrict and lift weights. Granted, I've been leaner and nearly as strong as I am today before, so my body has an advantage when I decided to rededicate myself this past year.

Resistance training (done safely) is so superior to cardio in an either/or situation it's not even funny. Everyone who strives to be healthy and goes out of their way to exercise should strength train. I firmly believe that.

What's all that stuff on the bed?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

30271570_1429.jpg

Shakeweights.
  • iiijeniii
    iiijeniii Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    cardio is very important for fat loss when you are bigger. you want to balance with strength training so you don't lose too much muscle, but that being said, the effects of muscle loss won't occur until you have come down in weight....I would say once you hit 25% body fat, you should think about weight lifting....but why not start them both and build up experience. I don't think you will "lose" time by adding strength training (ie - I don't think your fat loss rate will decrease, although your weight loss may decrease as you won't be losing as much muscle) - although you won't build (much) muscle on a caloric deficit I think it will still stoke your metabolism during non-workout times. most people (like me) who ask this question just don't like weights - but cardio and weights go hand in hand w/ eating healthy and at a deficit. others advocate only active weight training (like circuits w/o much rest). But, in my opinion you would be foolish to neglect the fat reducing gains from cardio (as well as the heart healthy gains).

CRAP!!! I am at 31% body fat! Should I stop lifting weights?
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

30271570_1429.jpg

memory serves:

6 Curado 201D's
    3 Citica 201D's
    4 Curado 101D's
    2 Chornarch 51mg's
    2 Chronarch 101SF's
    1 Morrum ZX 1601 ICBV BJ

and I think I had 2 Citica 201E's at the time.

Fishing reels.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I would recommend doing a simple full body routine with machines 2x per week. No need to over-complicate things at this point.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

What?

So, explain the reason. I would like to know. What is the rubbish part, alactic, anaerobic, aerobic systems?

it's a little difficult to take someone seriously who a) looks like a smurf, 2) has no friends, no profile, just joined and X) post stuff that makes me have to google it or find a dictionary to understand.