About Margarine

Options

Replies

• cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    but few will say it's "good for you".

Everything in moderation, no nobody will tell you to eat a tub a day, but too many people are afraid to have ANY because it has fat in it. Our bodies still need some healthy fats in our diet and we shouldn't avoid anything only to replace it with something like margarine.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    transfats
    hydrogenated anything
    high fructose corn syrup

these are a few of my favourite things. Don't attack margarine, attack the processed food producers and consumers for wanting everything at a price point so that enables the food factories to keep on very profitably churning out the garbage.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Butter for the win! It's natural, it's real, it's delicious, and my body knows how to process it! :drinker:

I eat it almost daily on my toast at breakfast, and use it in cooking all the time. Sure, I swap out butter for olive oil, or will do half & half in some cases, but sometimes you just need real butter. Like my dinner last night - Fish Meunière with Browned Butter & Lemon - one of my all time favorite recipes, and it's full of butter. Actually my entire dinner last night was heavy on the butter, but not super excessive, and as long as I don't eat that way EVERY night, it's all good.

But yeah - I'll take natural butter over a highly processed "spread" any day. :bigsmile:

How is butter natural?

This is funny. My 5 year old made delicious butter at school by... wait for it... churning cream and adding salt.

so...... its man made?
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I only eat Paleo margarine made from Triceratops

Question: How did cavemen get cream from a Triceratops?
    Answer: Very carefully.

Cue the reference to cats and Meet the Parents in 3...2...1...
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Dear OP

There's a really cool website called Snopes that you can search before you post complete falsehoods. Give it a try.

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Dear OP

There's a really cool website called Snopes that you can search before you post complete falsehoods. Give it a try.

No way for me to know about this website before you posted it and honestly why not ask MFP? You all know everything right? :yawn:
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Dear OP

No way for me to know about this website before you posted it and honestly why not ask MFP? You all know everything right? :yawn:

^^ *Like* ^^
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT.

Yes! I learned and confirmed this in my organic chemistry classes in college, as a chem minor/ bio major, have learned lots of scary truths about some of these things... knowing this, I avoid it... never really liked it anyways! And as others have said, check ingredients but butter IS GOOD for you, healthy fats are GOOD!

Did they also teach you that water is one molecule away from being explosive hydrogen gas? That's an absolutely meaningless distinction, and one that you'd think a chem minor would be able to recognize as such.
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I eat real butter only. Margarine is awful tasting and awful for your health!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    People have had their reputation ruined by non-critical thinking like this.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    All I will say is, please read this link in full.

Snopes is your friend. Especially if you see something posted on Facebook.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Butter for the win! It's natural, it's real, it's delicious, and my body knows how to process it! :drinker:

I eat it almost daily on my toast at breakfast, and use it in cooking all the time. Sure, I swap out butter for olive oil, or will do half & half in some cases, but sometimes you just need real butter. Like my dinner last night - Fish Meunière with Browned Butter & Lemon - one of my all time favorite recipes, and it's full of butter. Actually my entire dinner last night was heavy on the butter, but not super excessive, and as long as I don't eat that way EVERY night, it's all good.

But yeah - I'll take natural butter over a highly processed "spread" any day. :bigsmile:

How is butter natural?
    *Looks at butter label from my stockpile in the freezer*
    Ingredients: Pasteurized cream, salt.

So take cream, add a little salt, shake real hard, voila - BUTTAH! :bigsmile:

Natural ingredients, natural butter. Unless of course you meant that butter does not naturally come out of cow teats, all cubed and by the 1/4 pound? :tongue:
  • amarna13
    amarna13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I only use butter. I'm not sure how accurate that FB post is but I think butter is better for you if you have to have something like that (in moderation of course).
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I can't believe that these things are still being circulated. My mom used to send stuff like this (including this exact one) to me a decade ago it seems now. And I would always just reply with the snopes.com link.

If you're worried about that, then you should really check out these facts about water - http://9gag.com/gag/5055611
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

How is butter natural?

This is funny. My 5 year old made delicious butter at school by... wait for it... churning cream and adding salt.

so...... its man made?

No. 5 year old boy made.
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    Natural ingredients, natural butter. Unless of course you meant that butter does not naturally come out of cow teats, all cubed and by the 1/4 pound? :tongue:

Yes, that's exactly what they mean.

Butter goes through a process, just like margarine does... I don't know why people think one is more natural than the other.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Butter goes through a process, just like margarine does... I don't know why people think one is more natural than the other.

You can't be serious. Right? Right?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

The process of shaking cream until it becomes butter is still NATURAL. Is ice unnatural because it was water but was processed by freezing it into cubes?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I wouldn't even know where to begin to make margarine, but I'm sure I'd need a lot more than one or two ingredients and a jar. Two natural ingredients in butter - cream, salt. Unless of course you buy the unsalted variety, then it's just one - cream.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

The process of shaking cream until it becomes butter is still NATURAL. Is ice unnatural because it was water but was processed by freezing it into cubes?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I wouldn't even know where to begin to make margarine, but I'm sure I'd need a lot more than one or two ingredients and a jar. Two natural ingredients in butter - cream, salt. Unless of course you buy the unsalted variety, then it's just one - cream.
    I was whipping cream in my mixer, when the phone rang, then realized I didn't need to go buy butter, but my berries were naked.:smokin: