Confused newbie....

Options
2»

Replies

• krowanvil
    krowanvil Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The answer is ... it depends on how you set up you MFP. When you set up your MFP, it asked you if you were sedentary, moderately active, etc.; if you picked sedentary, but you are now exercising and not actually being sedentary, you can eat the calories you burned off without impacting your weight loss goal. If you took your exercise and your daily routine into account by choosing moderate, very active, etc., you do not need to eat the calories you burned off (you already counted them in the estimate).
    Looking at your stats, your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is 1630 calories/day. This is the minimum amount of calories (net) your body needs to function properly (you would burn this many calories if all you did was sleep all day). Even if you were sedentary, you could eat 2000 calories without gaining weight.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    But eating more just because you can and not hungry is idiotic. I am learning how MFP works, I'm new not stupid. I thought it was only supposed to be positive things not snappy unnecessary remarks. I didn't appreciate that.

You are the one using insults like idiotic, that could be deemed a personal attack. Calories are not everything, we eat enough overall food to tell our body there is no famine, to supply all the nutrients the body needs for health and to support the metabolism and energy production. Hunger is a sign that we have failed to give our body the nutrients it needs, not an early warning system it is a meal time. It is fairly easy to mess up natural hunger and satiety signals by eating the wrong foods, skipping meals, being dehydrated, consistently overeating or simply being obese (fat produces hormones).
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in eating back the calories. After I have a nice sweaty cardio session I drink 14 oz of 1% TruMoo Chocolate milk. I eat dinner after I work out ( I work out after work ) because I get nasty heartburn if I do before. I fully intend to save those "extra calories I've earned" for my wine night with my girlfriend or takeout night with my family. Don't shove food down your throat just because you have the extra calories. Good Luck and keep on keepin on! :drinker:

Because you might be creating too much of a calorie deficit which could be unhealthy and not result in the weight loss you want.

Please learn how MFP works.

But eating more just because you can and not hungry is idiotic. I am learning how MFP works, I'm new not stupid. I thought it was only supposed to be positive things not snappy unnecessary remarks. I didn't appreciate that.

You eat more because your body needs it, not just because "you can". You need the nutrition, vitamins, minerals, etc, and you need the "fuel" or calories. Eating too little can be just as detrimental as eating too much.

I don't know what your calorie goal is, but new people here tend to choose "lose 2 pounds per week" which often makes MFP set you to 1,200 calories a day. This number is not appropriate for a lot of people, and especially active people, so if you work out, you definitely NEED to eat those calories back. It isn't idiotic, it is sensible and healthy.
  • samheron1993
    samheron1993 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thank you for your help :)
  • jlyoung913
    jlyoung913 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in eating back the calories. After I have a nice sweaty cardio session I drink 14 oz of 1% TruMoo Chocolate milk. I eat dinner after I work out ( I work out after work ) because I get nasty heartburn if I do before. I fully intend to save those "extra calories I've earned" for my wine night with my girlfriend or takeout night with my family. Don't shove food down your throat just because you have the extra calories. Good Luck and keep on keepin on! :drinker:
    [/quote

I havent finished reading the posts that follow this one...but I posted earlier on this and simply stated you are not eating back calories but simply rebuilding what has broken down during exercise. I truly feel that we exercise in order to get some of those goodies in like wine or take out. For example I knew ahead of time that my dinner was not going to be low cal and so I went out for a run before in order to eat what I wanted. It allowed me to be happy and satisfied with some room to spare for dessert. I have earned it but dont look at it as eating back calories...we must eat to lose weight!

Great job with with chocolate milk...did a lot of research for sports nutrition class and that is one of the best recovery drinks after a work out if your GI tract can handle it.