Sodium

Options
2»

Replies

• MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I had a stroke last March due to uncontrolled hypertension so I'm limited in my sodium as well. I try to keep it below 1600mg per day.

As was said before, anything processed is going to have more(usually a LOT) of sodium.

Frozen is better than canned
    bagged is better than canned (think dry beans)

It takes some time but it's not so bad once you get used to it.
  • ItsSoYummy
    ItsSoYummy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    MFP has mine set at 2500 but my doctor wants me to keep it between 1600 and 2000. My BP was out of control. In fact so high during a routine physical that they couldn't read it. Top number was over 300. By the time I got to the ER, they got a reading of 286/230 or something like that. I felt fine but the doctors never saw one read that high. I ended up in the hospital for a week while they worked to get it down. It's under control now with meds and diet. As I shed pounds, I should be able to cut back on meds...I hope.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    MFP has mine set at 2500 but my doctor wants me to keep it between 1600 and 2000. My BP was out of control. In fact so high during a routine physical that they couldn't read it. Top number was over 300. By the time I got to the ER, they got a reading of 286/230 or something like that. I felt fine but the doctors never saw one read that high. I ended up in the hospital for a week while they worked to get it down. It's under control now with meds and diet. As I shed pounds, I should be able to cut back on meds...I hope.

Ok, wow! That's just about where my BP was the night I had the stroke. You were *extremely* lucky you caught that in time. I'm glad you're home and it's more controlled.

I aim for 1600. The occasional meal that's double that doesn't do too bad but if I go over for a day or two in row then things get dodgie and I have trouble getting it back down again.

Feel free to add me if you want to talk, I hope you get it sorted out ad off the meds!
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I track sodium...I try to stay under 1500mg/day and really aim for under 1000mg/day. I'm trying to control my hypertension without medication. It's hard because even things like eggs, milk, chicken and seafood contain sodium.