MIght get blasted but.....This is what I have learned.

Options

Replies

• PaulineKK
    Options
    I just started, but I can already feel a difference. With the food tracker I am going from mindless eating to mindful eating! I think too often we just reach and chew. One other thing I'm trying: I walk for 20 minutes in the morning when I get up, 20 at lunch, and then 20 after work (I'm on a regular 9-5 type schedule). If your metabolic rate is raised for an hour or so after exercising, I thought, this might help to keep it up for more hours. If I can't make one of the scheduled walks, I've still gotten something in. In just one week I can't believe how much more energy and alertness I'm feeling.

Another trick, as a first-timer, is I have a 24 oz glass with a lid and straw. I am a heavy-duty coffee drinker. I've found if I switch between my coffee and the water, while I'm sitting at my desk it is all about sipping (that mindless thing again?). I'm now easily drinking the 60 ounces a day that's recommended. Also, my natural thirst has returned. I'm down from three pots of coffee a day, to just under one and that was without even trying.

Thanks for a great article. It made a lot of sense to me.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    excellent points why would you get blasted for the truth?
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I love this! I was feeling sooooo tempted tonight to do some late night snacking and came to mfp to try to talk myself out of it. I'm glad I saw your post! I totally agree that you can "reprogram" your brain to stop craving the bad stuff. It takes awhile, and it takes of discipline, but you can do it. I have exercised for years and have GAINED weight because I filled my body with junk. Now I'm eating healthier and continue to exercise because I feel the exercise makes my body healthier, and it makes me feel good...and because Zumba is so fun. :-)
    Thanks for sharing!
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed what you put for #3. I think the greatest thing I've come to learn is that feeling good about myself is better than a low number on the scale. I was 102lbs and soooo miserable. Now that I'm up from that (and eating much better, getting rid of my urges to purge), I feel wonderful. Weight is insignificant, in the long run. I feel that people can get so caught up in wanting to be xxxlbs or size x, that they forget that they need to take good care of themselves. Being skinny but really unhappy sucks, adding in the fact that you're restricting heavily and unable to really enjoy food. I'd rather be heavier and loving life (like I am now), while fueling my body with the "good stuff" (fruits/veggies/protein) and no longer binging!
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    One thing I've noticed on my nearly 3 months on here is that you can say it's a sunny day and all is right with the world and without fail, someone will take exception to it! It's really turned me off to so much of what I see on these message boards, but the OP's post is spot on! Could not agree more!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Bravo- I totally agree!
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    well said!
  • pleasant_dreams
    pleasant_dreams Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Way too many people trying to cardio away bad diet

Wow. This is exactly what I needed to read! I've never seen it written before.
    Thank you :)
  • kikilita
    kikilita Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Totally agree!! I just started cutting out soda and even though I'm negative in my calories the past few days I know it's better to have no soda than to have soda and be positive calorie count wise. I'm sure this will pay off, but it's a process. No instant gratification, LOL! I do find that tracking what I eat is helping start to make more healthy choices. Very good post!
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    good stuff....thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • midnite81
    midnite81 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Very well said - thanks for taking the time to share. Couldn't agree with you more :)
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for all the "thank you's" It makes me really happy to see all of your responses and if they make sense to YOU great, if not just take it with a grain of salt. Is all about what is RIGHT for you and not me or your neighbor!! ;)
  • sarahi2009
    Options

5. Excercise is good, it keeps your endorphins up and frankly it puts you in a better mood. However, you don't need to kill yourself at the gym. It is proven that excercise is mainly so you don't lose muscle but you can lose weight just by changing your eating habits! Don't get me wrong, please excercise if you so desire, but don't feel that you can't be healthy if you don't.

Finally, have fun...don't stress too much because that also keeps your weight on!

While I agree with much of what you said, and even that you don't have to go crazy at the gym, I do take issue with part of it. You can be thin if you don't exercise, but that is very different from being healthy. Exercise does much more than upping your endorphins and has been shown over and over again to have HUGE health benefits, regardless of weight. It's not just for weight loss and thin doesn't always = healthy.

I completely agree with you, and I think THIN DOESN'T MEAN HEALTHY.....However, I don't think that YOU HAVE TO go to the gym to be healthy. I have been lucky to know HEALTHY people that don't go to the gym. I am not against going to the gym, but my point was that you can be healthy and not go to the gym. Sorry if it came across diferently ;)
  • pondmermaid
    pondmermaid Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    nice! thanks :)
  • sarahi2009
    Options
    I so agree with your post..thanks for all the get information. I only started back with MFP on 12/27/12, but was on it for almost 6 months last year and only lost about 5 pounds during that time according to the scale and I got so so discouraged that I stopped tracking and put 6 lbs back on. Now I am trying to not look at the scale as often and go by the way I feel instead and how my clothes fit. I am already seeing a difference in my clothing...my bra isn't as tight as before and my pants too. I am also doing a 20 min walking dvd (indoors) at least 5-6 times a week as well. Hoping to see better results this time from that. I really want to lose at the min. 15-20 lbs by July and 30-40 lbs by the end of the year.:smile:

Keep at it, don't get discouraged!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    well said. I agree with you!
    I think if you approach exercise differently it helps. Yes, doing exercise maintains and builds muscles, which changes how I look, but there's more to it than that. Doing cardio and doing weight training would be good for me even if it didn't change how I look. Its good for the stuff going on inside me...my heart, my lungs, my blood chemistry. Those things don't show up on the scale or in the size Im wearing, they show up in a healthier me that will stay healthier and live longer, enjoying life. Sort of a nebulous idea to try to keep in mind hauling out of bed on a frigid morning to go to the gym before work, but it pays off. It really does. AND I look and feel great!
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i love you post, words of wisdon. Thanks for taking the time to share it.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I agree! I do think exercise is very important to be fit and healthy though. Sure you can loose weight without exercising, just like you can loose weight by eating junk food. Neither is a good way to be as healthy as you can be in my opinion. To me, loosing weight is a nice side effect of living a healthy lifestyle, which includes healthy foods and exercise. That being said, I don't think it's necessary to spend hours and hours at the gym. Exercise can be much more simple like walking, running, dancing, and stuff you can do in your own home.
  • sarahi2009
    Options
    I agree! I do think exercise is very important to be fit and healthy though. Sure you can loose weight without exercising, just like you can loose weight by eating junk food. Neither is a good way to be as healthy as you can be in my opinion. To me, loosing weight is a nice side effect of living a healthy lifestyle, which includes healthy foods and exercise. That being said, I don't think it's necessary to spend hours and hours at the gym. Exercise can be much more simple like walking, running, dancing, and stuff you can do in your own home.

Yes, I think that exercise is GREAT, I think that it doesn't have to be going to the gym, I love to dance so thats my excericise. Until a f ew months ago I loved running...but it's something I LOVED to do, not forced to do and I find that people get discouraged sometimes when they think that without excercise they can't get healthy...I strongly believe that as your getting healthier you start wanting to do more and more and "exercise" then comes natural ;)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It is proven that excercise is mainly so you don't lose muscle but you can lose weight just by changing your eating habits! Don't get me wrong, please excercise if you so desire, but don't feel that you can't be healthy if you don't.

I'm not sure some of the things you suggest are "proven" by studies actually are, but I completely disagree with the statements quoted above. Exercise has many benefits beyond not losing muscle as you lose weight. Of course you can lose weight just through diet, but that does not mean that exercise has no benefits. The risk for nearly all preventable illnesses can be lowered through regular exercise. And while it is possible to be healthy without it at any given moment, it is unlikely that one will remain healthy without regular exercise.

Exercise is about so much more than what you see on a scale.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!