Weird rash-- what is it?

Options
13»

Replies

• SleepingBeauty12345
    SleepingBeauty12345 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    last year when i first got on MFP i was working out regularly.and my scalp started burning! i kept washing my hair over and over and couldnt figure out what was going on! come to find out....i put my hair back in a ponytail,when i workout.therefore i ended up getting a heat rash on my scalp because the pony tail tightens everything back tightly.kept the heat in my hair!
    it was uncomfortable for a while.
    so yes,beginning diets and working out ect can sometimes cause things that are different from your norm! the body does release toxins,
    my end result....when i workout i wear a very lose pony tail.now
    good luck!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    You said you're worried about it, then say it's no biggy because your doctor feels that way....My conclusion: Neck herpes.

i knew someone was going to say it.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all, for your responses. I'll try to fungal cream tonight and hope that it's just a sexy neck fungus. If it's not even a little better in the a.m., I'll call the doc for a referral. Thanks again!
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    See another Dr ASAP for your own piece of mind. I was having trouble breathing the Dr I was seeing said it was my asthma acting up. I told her I have had asthma for years this is different. She gave me another type of inhaler. After a week & getting worst went to another Dr.. who gave me a blood test. Results were I was so anemic that there was little oxygen in my blood cells I was told to go to hospital & given infusion of iron. Had I not gone in Dr said I would of died within 2 months & would of never found the cause of the problem ,after more test, I had a 10 pound tumor that was pushing up against my other organs. We have that "gut feeling" when something isn't right for a reason. Don't delay finding another Dr. If necessary try a community clinic pay on a sliding scale based on income. Take care of yourself. Call your insurance explain your experience with that Dr & you want another one in your network plan .
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I get something similar after working in the garden. You are probably allergic to something. Honestly, I wouldn't worry. I have had shingles three times. The rash is not on your neck. I would try some hydrocortisone creme and don't scratch. :wink:
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Google hives. It may be a mild case. Try benadryll and see what happens.
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    Try an antifungal cream...if you have cats they can spread it. It won't hurt to slap some on there just to see if it helps. It sounds very similar to ringworm. I work at a vet clinic and we randomly get it from cats. It starts with a weird tingling sensation then those raised area's show up. that's my NON-MEDICAL opinion. it couldn't hurt.
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I used to get a similar rash years ago. It was basically a stress rash. Every time I was under pressure or stress I would get it, right there on my neck. Remember too that you can develop an allergy to anything at anytime no matter how long you've been exposed to it and the only way to know for sure is to have an allergy test. It's a pain in the buns but worth it.
  • NHLeah
    NHLeah Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It looks like the Seborrhoeic dermatitis my husband gets on his chest, shoulders and back. His doctor had him shower with a ZNP bar of soap to clear it up. ( http://www.amazon.com/ZNP-Bar-4-2-oz/dp/B000RJHHRS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top ) You can get it at the pharmacy OTC, they maybe need to order it in for you if they don't have it on hand. But I looked at the ingredients and the directions (says for body and hair) and determined that if my husband uses dandruff shampoo it would have the same effect since the shampoo runs down his shoulders, chest and back. Since that switch, the rash has not been a problem.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    MFP is the next best thing after WebMD.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't wait I would get a referral to a dermatologist and get it checked out. It very well could be herpes zoster or shingles but those are usually painful. Might be a pain but you never want to play around with your health.

Just to clarify herpes zoster IS shingles, they are one and the same. That rash doesn't resemble shingles. Shingles usually lasts 3-6 months, is very painful, and presents as a unilateral rash (one side of the body only). I agree that it looks more like some type of fungal infection, especially if it comes and goes in the same spots on your body. I'd go see the dermatologist before self treating, though because fungal infections take a long time on an antifungal medication to clear up, often months as opposed to a week or so on a med for a bacterial infection
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, guys-- I'm not coming here as an alternative to seeing a doctor. I appreciate the thoughtful responses. I'm going to have to beg my PCP for a referral to a dermatologist. Blah. I hate insurance sometimes.

Why do you think you're doctor won't give you a referral? I have an HMO too and all I have to do is say I want to see such and such doctor and be on my way. If your doctor is so dismisive find a new PCP. This is your health. If you your current doctor is an *kitten* then find a new one.