Constantly craving!

Options
Hey all,

I started my diet on Saturday last week (5th January), and I am 24/7 craving junk food. I'm talking chocolate, tim tams, ice cream and most of all McDonalds and coke. I'm trying to see how long I can go without McDonalds and coke because I have an unhealthy addiction to these foods (I used to eat McDonalds at least four times a week), but it is so hard!

I have broken my healthy eating twice so far - I had 3 choc chip and 2 anzac cookies on Monday and last night I had the new maltesers iced chocolate from Gloria Jeans.

It's just so hard to stay away from my junk food! It also doesn't help that I hate the taste of 99% of food that is deemed healthy!

How do you resist the temptation to have junk?

Replies

• danielle887
    danielle887 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just keep telling myself that I am NOT going to see any results if I don't stick to the healthy foods! I'm going to allow myself one cheater day a week. But I plan on not going overboard with it. I look up all different kinds of recipes hoping to find stuff I might like that is healthy.
  • leangejolier
    leangejolier Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I gave up both fast food and soda by setting a goal of giving it up for one month. If I tell myself I can never have it again, I miss it way too much. If I set a goal that has an end date, it's easier to get there. I told myself that if I could go one month without fast food, I could then go in and have it once totally guilt free. By the time the month was up, the cravings were gone and I didn't need to go for my reward meal. 2 years later, I've only had McDonald's 4 times. I gave up soda the same way a year later.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    With no open diary, my initial question is: how many calories are you eating? Eating too low in calories can set you up for more cravings.
  • geekpryncess
    geekpryncess Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I gave up both fast food and soda by setting a goal of giving it up for one month. If I tell myself I can never have it again, I miss it way too much. If I set a goal that has an end date, it's easier to get there. I told myself that if I could go one month without fast food, I could then go in and have it once totally guilt free. By the time the month was up, the cravings were gone and I didn't need to go for my reward meal. 2 years later, I've only had McDonald's 4 times. I gave up soda the same way a year later.

I like that idea of the one month goal, I think that is something I could do.
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    I write it down. I keep a list of things I crave all week, sometimes i see the same things day after day. Then on Sunday, I get to choose one of the things and enjoy a portion. I'm not sure why but writing it down really helps me. I think my tummy figures I am making a promise to give it something tasty once a week and it gets all happy.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I learned to fast,
    Seriously, fasting helped me develop a strength to resist foods.
    It's like exercising a muscle to make it stronger.
    I'd go 16 hours without eating from 9pm all the way to 1pm the next day.
    It really helped me learn to resist foods, control calories, and I also lost fat little by little.
    Something to consider....GOOD LUCK :flowerforyou:
  • cbinnd
    cbinnd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I focus on getting lots of fiber in my food. Lately I've been cutting up a big container of fruit (one apple, two bananas, one orange) and bringing it to work for a morning snack. It's been so filling that I can't even finish it until about 3 pm. LOTS of fiber!! It helps me with my sugar cravings too. And when people in the office grab the snacks on the break table I just grab my fruit and I remember how full I really am and how much I don't really need the junk.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Could we see your diary?

Hard to give advice without.
  • junkiescum
    Options
    Most food in the world is healthy. You probably don't like it because you're, A) eating the things people in weight loss forums tell you to eat or, B) addicted to junk because it's most of what you've known. If you don't like the "healthy" stuff you're eating, try some other stuff! In fact, try everything! Take a tour around the world. Sample "healthy" food from China, India, Africa, Scotland (there's not much there), South America, New Orleans, or whatever. Utilize Google in finding new food ideas. Explore, explore, explore. Good luck.
  • zohra90
    Options
    Could we see your diary?

For breakfast, I have oats with fruit muesli plus a piece of brown multigrain toast with honey spread.

For a morning snack I have two slices of corn thins.

For lunch I have tuna or chicken with salad.

For an afternoon snack I have a handful of almonds.

For dinner I have chicken or fish with veggies (if I had tuna for lunch, I'll have chicken for dinner)

In the mornings I sometimes also have either grapes, or a peach and a nectarine.

I ate my lunch 20 minutes ago and I am already hungry :(
  • zohra90
    Options
    Most food in the world is healthy. You probably don't like it because you're, A) eating the things people in weight loss forums tell you to eat or, B) addicted to junk because it's most of what you've known. If you don't like the "healthy" stuff you're eating, try some other stuff! In fact, try everything! Take a tour around the world. Sample "healthy" food from China, India, Africa, Scotland (there's not much there), South America, New Orleans, or whatever. Utilize Google in finding new food ideas. Explore, explore, explore. Good luck.

Thank you! Yes it is pretty much all I have ever known. Our cupboards and fridge is still packed with junk food because my two younger sisters won't touch anything else, so I have to resist temptation everyday!

It's not too hard for me to control myself during the day while I'm at work, because the only food option I have is whatever I have brought from home, and of course I pack healthy in the morning because I plan on being healthy. But, by the time I get home after work, the battle against junk has already begun!
  • zohra90
    Options
    Could we see your diary?

I also walk 30 minutes to and from work per day and aim to go to the gym three to four times a week, each session ranging from 60 minutes to 90 minutes.
  • zohra90
    Options
    With no open diary, my initial question is: how many calories are you eating? Eating too low in calories can set you up for more cravings.

Well, according to MyFitnessPal I should be having 1200 calories per day, however I usually end up on 900 calories per day because of my exercise (when I add in how many calories I have burnt, it adds it back to my food intake, which doesn't seem right to me?).
  • zohra90
    Options

I like that idea of the one month goal, I think that is something I could do.

That sounds like a really good idea! I think I am going to try that :)
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    "You crave what you eat"

Once you officially break yourself of the crap food, and eat clean and healthy, you will crave clean and healthy.

I'm living proof.

Each year around Labor Day, I go back "home" to Illinois. I eat junk food the whole time and end up sick as a dog. Always seems like a good idea at the time- but I always get antsy the last couple of days to get home to Colorado and EAT CLEAN!!
  • kingneptune45
    kingneptune45 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What your experiencing is normal. Your body is going to crave the junk that it is used to getting. Your overall diet looks fine, you are going to have to grind through it. I can tell you when I get the munchies, I often eat unshelled unsaltied peanuts. By the time I go through cracking a handful I am usually okay. Also, I read this article in LivingStrong that suggested that your hunger might be mistaken for thrist.. In other words, are getting enough water in daily?
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question. You're not eating enough good calories, so therefore you are literally famished. You're craving junk food because it's fast and readily available. You need to bump those calories UP. Following MFP calorie guide is a setup for failure. If you're working out, you need fuel for the machine. I eat 250 below TDEE every day, which is generally around 1800 calories, some days more.
  • firstlady8
    firstlady8 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    try eating granola bars. fiber one bars, weight watchers candy and ice creams are very tasty but low in fat and calories these work for me. when i just need chips or something like that i open the bag and take a few out and give the rest to my kids they burn calories minute by minute :smile:
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Drink alot of water and make sure you eat enough Fiber and Protein. That what keeps you full. Best thing to is make sure you give yourself room for a snack during the day so you don't build up too much hunger over time. Nothing wrong with McDonalds or anything just gotta make work to your macro.
  • firstlady8
    firstlady8 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    a little more advive next time you want Mc Donalds go and read the menu carefully they now have the calories listed right beside the item it will surely turn your stomach at least it did that for me. i had to think do i want to use all my 1200 calories on one meal that help me become over weight to begin with it was such a turn off and i drove away ordering nothing.. you can do it :drinker: