*** Supportive Friends -- Looking to Release 50+ Pounds ***

Options
HELLO!! There used to be a pretty strong circle of support amongst a group of us who were all looking to lose anywhere from 50 pounds to 150 pounds! Some of us? Maybe even looking to release even more weight than that!

We had a thread and had a good, solid 15+ members that were supportive in both the good times and the bad, the easy parts and the challenges... however, we've kind of lost our ground and our group. So this thread is an attempt to revive that support and to welcome some new friends in!

This is an open thread for anyone who wishes to be a part of it... so just jump on in! Please introduce yourselves and don't be intimidated if it seems that there are some of us who know each other - because once you introduce yourself? You'll soon feel that you are in the loop and know everyone as well!

Welcome... let the support and friendships begin! :)

Replies

• henkemonica
    henkemonica Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Monica. I have 87 pounds to lose. Hope to be able to join your group.
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    So, I'll start off...

Hi, I'm Becky - a social worker from Montana that spent entirely TOO much time focused on everyone else and not enough on me! I'm working on changing that and MOST of the time? I do a pretty darn good job with it. At least in the last 2 years. :)

I just reset my ticker to accurate... and am mad because at a point it had a 3-digit loss number on there. But, being sick, not exercising, the holidays and vacay all have taken their toll. And? If I'm being honest? I haven't done what I know to do for a good 3-4 months now. So, back to a 2-digit loss number and I expect to see that change by end of March to a 3-digit number again!

The good news? Is that I still actually have been wearing smaller clothes. It's weird. I shouldn't be... but I am. I KNOW that it's not all muscle, but - whatever it is? I'm just happy that clothing isn't getting tighter... though, maybe that would have gotten me back on track sooner?!? Hmmm...

Looking forward to seeing old faces and new ones...
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Monica. I have 87 pounds to lose. Hope to be able to join your group.

Welcome Monica -- we'd love to have you join us... I think a few people that were once a part of this will be coming to introduce themselves shortly!

Any goals for that 87 pounds? And... want to introduce yourself?
  • Hi, my name is Ciji. I am a mother, a wife, and a new nursing graduate. I have struggled with my weight since the birth of my first child almost eight years ago. I have had classes all year long with rigorus clinical hours which has left me with very little time or energy to cook or exercise. I currently would like to loose around 70 lbs. I would really appreciate some support. I am excited for the possibilities.
  • penny_eclipse
    penny_eclipse Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm back. Loved this.

I'm Laura (or penny) I answer to most things. 25, working (yay) as a trainee architect after 6yrs studying to be one. Just started working in London after 6months of unemployment/temping, so there's the commuting and log work days to contend with, but at least I'm starting to feel in control again. The 8 months since moving back in with my parents and being essentially jobless took its toll.

I don't have 50+ lbs to go but I did originally...and I've regained far too many and I'm back on it and around and focused again. Almost made it through my first new week of the back on it, and I'm feeling good. (though still peeved I let myself slip.)

I know I need to reset my weight on here, but I need to come to terms with it first... That'll be a big step for maybe early next week.

I'm cycling to the station (originally thought of to save £5 parking/day) and walking the other end (saves total £2.80 bus) and taking my (healthy leftovers) lunches in...all kind on my pocket, and hopefully will have a positive impact on my progress!
  • carhicks
    carhicks Posts: 1,924 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I was originally one of the Skinny Chicks and did very well losing weight. I loved the comraderie of that group and lost 99 pounds. I fell off the wagon in the middle of November and put about 20 pounds back on. I need to belong again.

My name is Carla and I am a retired Elementary School teacher and administrator. I have found that I love to work out and miss it when I can not. I love challenges as that really motivates me.

I spent many years taking care of my family (2 kids and a husband), my students (anywhere from a class of 30 to a school of 900) and had no time or energy to take care of me. Just before I retired, I was diagnosed as a pre-diabetic and put on aspirin, blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds and diabetic medication. I also have sleep apnea and use a C-Pap machine, Lots of stuff I hope to undo with a healthy lifestyle.

I still need to lose the 20 pounds I regained, as well as 28 more to reach my goal. I will still be in the overweight category according to BMI, but used to be considered morbidly obese, so I will be happy with that.

Welcome everyone.
  • CanToGirl
    CanToGirl Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    My name is Julie. I am a stay at home to my very active daughter and a wife to a wonderful husband.
    I have always been over weight. From elementary to now. Also I am a yo-yo dieter. Can't tell you how many times I have lost and gained over 50-100 lbs. I am surprised that I don't have diabetes, high blood pressure or any of the aliments that come with being over weight and I don't want them now. So here I am to get the support I need to lose this weight and to keep it off.
    I am currently I am starting over. Going on week 2 and so far doing good. Got my eating to a somewhat control just need to start logging it and I feel good about exercising again. So its baby steps for me because I did this once and I can do it again.
  • leslie8339
    Options
    Hi there! My name is Leslie. I'm 29 and want to lose aroung 65 pounds to get back to my happy and healthy self. I can totally relate to everything you guys have been saying. I've done the food/actvity logging off and on for years, but never joined a group or even posted anything on here, so I am hoping this can be a fun (and desperately needed) way to keep motivated. I've struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember, but the scale (when I actually get the nerve to look at it) has been steadily climbing up the past two years or so and I am noticing a significant impact on my life. I am determined to make a major lifestyle change and looking forward to cheering eachother on. Here we go!
  • GayleCryer
    Options
    Hi my name is Gayle, Im 30 year old and from Newcastle upon Tyne in England. I have set myself small weight targets as the real target scares me. I started at 242 lbs and over past year have got down to 200lbs. I started with weight watchers and then stopped going, used the money to join a gym and started using MFP.
    I hate the gym. hate hate hate but Im trying to stick with it. I have cut my calories to 1200 as I have my wedding reception in Feb {got married on 1st of December}. 1200 calories is HARD but im managing lol.
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am also one of the "original" Skinny Chics too... My name is Lane. I am 31 and single mom of a 4 year old little boy. I am a 9-1-1 Telecommunicator, so I work 12hour shifts... there are some looooong, stressful days lol.

I have always been a chunky girl. Even my Kindergarten pic, I was the big one. Not huge, but not tiny either lol. I have always struggled with my weight. I was an active kid and teenager, always playing sports and playing outside. My metabolism and food choices/quality just sucks.

I originally started my weight loss journey in May of 2011. I lost 60lbs in the first 60 months and it was SO easy. Maybe too easy. I didn't have the urge to "cheat". I didn't even want rest days from exercise. I was "in the zone". Then when I hit that mark and realized how super duper easy it was, I let myself slip. Going a few days without activity..... having pizza and mexican food 2 days in a row. I gradually lost 75lbs total in a years time. Toward the middle of last year, I just slowly fell back into old habit. Gained 30 lbs back.....

Fast forward to Jan 1st when I started back. Like others, it hurt my feelings...and my pride...to change that ticker. But I did. I want this. I agree, having this support system is the biggest reason I had so much success. So, I hope we all can stay in this together...make new friends...and ALL of us have our own Success Story!!

Looking forward to "meeting" everyone!
  • tlkrallman
    Options
    Hello! My name is Tracy. I'm 43 years old. I am not giving up without throwing away 95 pounds for good this time. I have 2 beautiful full grown daughters 24 & 20 who have given me 2 brand new amazing grandsons (6 months and 2 months). I also have 3 beautiful step daughters (22, 16 & 10) and a wonderful step son (13). Needless to say my life is pretty busy, and sometimes very hectic. I too have been down this weight loss road more times then I can count. I'll do so well for so long, and then something crazy will happen in my life and the focus and attention I was giving myself needs to be refocused and given to someone else. I have a hard time learning to always put myself and my health first. So, here I am again but this time I'm resolved will be my last time and this time is completely about me. It's nice to have supportive friends, who understand the struggles, and can give a hand up when you're down. Count me in! I'm here to offer support to anyone who needs it! This is MY time and This is OUR time!
  • llangstraat
    llangstraat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    So, I'll start off...

Hi, I'm Becky - a social worker from Montana that spent entirely TOO much time focused on everyone else and not enough on me! I'm working on changing that and MOST of the time? I do a pretty darn good job with it. At least in the last 2 years. :)

I just reset my ticker to accurate... and am mad because at a point it had a 3-digit loss number on there. But, being sick, not exercising, the holidays and vacay all have taken their toll. And? If I'm being honest? I haven't done what I know to do for a good 3-4 months now. So, back to a 2-digit loss number and I expect to see that change by end of March to a 3-digit number again!

The good news? Is that I still actually have been wearing smaller clothes. It's weird. I shouldn't be... but I am. I KNOW that it's not all muscle, but - whatever it is? I'm just happy that clothing isn't getting tighter... though, maybe that would have gotten me back on track sooner?!? Hmmm...

Looking forward to seeing old faces and new ones...

I'm Laura and have about 50 pounds to lose and am also from Montana. :-)
  • xNickie
    xNickie Posts: 49
    Options
    Hi, my names Nickie, I'm 20 and I'm from the West Midlands, UK :smile: Looking to lose around 60lbs, and hoping to lose at least 20lbs before April this year as it's my 21st that month!

Finding it a little difficult to stay motivated due to Hypothyroidism, makes it that little bit harder to lose weight. Despite this, I try my best in everything I do, and I'm certainly not going to give up! I made a new account a few days ago because I fancied a fresh start, so feel free to add me, I'm on everyday and will offer support and motivation when needed :flowerforyou: Best of luck to you all!
  • brownshuga30
    brownshuga30 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Tesha. I am a 31 years old mother of a 2 year old boy. My long term goal is to lose 113lbs. About 4 years ago I lost over 60lbs but then gained it all back plus some after becoming pregnant in 2010. I started my journey AGAIN in December and have so far lost 12lbs and approximately 6" in my waist. I am always curious to see what other members who have been successfull on their journey eat or what their workout routine is. I have become overwhelmed with information regarding the TDEE, AMR, BMR, etc, etc... So now I am just going back to basics of eating less and exercising more. Hoping to learn from the member's who have been successfull with their weightloss and get the motivation to keep me going!!
  • melodyjstray
    melodyjstray Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Melody. PA Mama of three little girls, and I have about 50 lbs to lose. Before my oldest was born, I was successful in getting down to a healthy weight with Weight Watchers... but with each kid, I have held on to a bit more of the baby weight. And so I find myself exactly where I started (but more fit, I think...I ran my first 1/2 marathon in November and hope to log many more miles this year). I have had a great first month, but am starting to slip into "a bite of this" or "a taste of that" without logging the foods; and I know that adds up. I need accountability to log EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth!
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Welcome, welcome everyone! Looking forward to getting another tight-knit group :happy:
  • divadame
    Options
    Hi,

I just joined and I have as much to lose as you have lost...73 lbs. I am looking for MFP friends too who I can help support and who will help me, too. I guess I am the "old lady" here at 57, and am very motivated to lose this weight for my health. Been working on the deeper issues that drive my over eating, and it is hard work. I am hopeful, though! I live in the San Francisco area and have a demanding career, but am now considering losing this weight and being fit another serious, prioritized part time job.
  • ksizzle911
    ksizzle911 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Kelly. I have lost 71 pounds and want to lose another 49. I was just thinking to myself today how a lot of my current friends rarely ever comment on my updates even though I religiously comment on ALL my friends' updates. I have some really great friends, but looking for more people willing to give me support as well. Even though I've been pretty successful at losing weight, I still need the support!!
  • melandr
    Options
    Hi. I'm Melissa. I'm 22 years old. This is the first time I've made any New Years resolutions. One of my resolutions is to run in a 5k. I'm doing an exercise program called Couch to 5k as well as Just Dance Just Sweat and some strength training exercises.

I was not looking to lose weight in particular at first, but I've already lost 5 pounds since I started. I have insulin resistance and a family history of late onset type 1 diabetes. I have a similar body shape and issues as my family members when they were my age who have it. So, I decided to try to get my number in the recommended weight range in addition to running in a 5k to help with this.

I've been dieting as well which I find extremely difficult. I have a really strong sense of smell so the smell of a lot of food makes me gag. This has led to me eating a lot of carbs (breads) because they don't have strong smells. I particularly have a weakness for pizza and garlic bread. I had a craving for pizza a few days ago, but I did not give in. Today, I had a lot of calories left and I really wanted pizza. Proud to say I only got 1 slice and no garlic bread. Normally I get at least 2 slices and what has to be 4 pieces of garlic bread.

My hope to lose 50 pounds exactly, which brings me here.

I'm joining this for support. My family does not live a healthy lifestyle. I have a lot of family members who are very overweight. It's reached the point where they consider people of an average body weight to be skinny and they're almost bitter about it. I do not want to end up like that. My family doesn't even know that I'm doing this. Part of my job compensation is living in an apartment at a university, so this is a secret resolution. They'll find out after I finish a 5k in April!
  • cjmarindnj
    cjmarindnj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Cynthia. I would like to join this group, I have about 42lbs to "release" because when you "lose" something it tends to find you again. I am an Isagenix Associate, I'll be posting my journey using these products and would be happy to answer any questions that anyone may have. Thank you...never give up!!