Ab exercises for women?

Options
2»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight. I guess I chose my words wrong. I want to strengthen my abs, tone if you will. I am losing the weight so I know that will go down, but I need to tone and strengthen.

You will want to strengthen your whole core, not just your abs. Your can do this with any number of exercises, but push-ups are good for a start.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/zero-to-100-pushups-for-complete-beginners/
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't know, old article but it does make sense, I like looking feminine so i'll stick with it for now..... http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1305014

There are many things in this article making me go :sick:
  • jodimoon12
    Options
    grab a broomstick and place it behind your neck resting there and keep lower body straight and twist from side to side.

Please don't do this. It can really screw up your back. (We used to do it at softball but its stopped beig used years ago)

But putting the broom in your hands, and sweeping it side to side, is awesome ab work for women. :laugh: As long as it is followed by bending over with the dust pan, sweeping into dustpan, then lifting dustpan to empty out in the garbage.

Some other good exercises are: vacuuming, dusting, cooking, and cleaning up after the kids. :laugh:

Must be single.......
  • NYAngel1089
    NYAngel1089 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    HA! I do that at work!! lol I am working at a daycare
  • NYAngel1089
    NYAngel1089 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help!
  • bradmacoubrie
    bradmacoubrie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Flat on the bed or against the wall, try to make your belly button do a J. Pull it into your back and then up. Do not arch your back or lift your rib cage or shoulders. Only thing moving is the abdomen. Squeeze and release. Hard to do at first. Advance as you build some strength. Use an exercise ball or against the wall and lift one knee while holding the J , then advance to lifting the opposite arm straight up in front of you to above your head. Keep buttocks and shoulders flat against the wall, feet as close to the wall and together as possible.

I am using this to help strengthen my core, because I cannot do lifts or crunches related to back injury and bulging disk. Not only is this making my core stronger, but changing my posture, which keeps my belly from sticking out.

As an added bonus it has other benefits, google kegel exercises.

I recently started down this road, after deciding I was not going to be destined to +300 lbs and living on the couch.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    grab a broomstick and place it behind your neck resting there and keep lower body straight and twist from side to side.

Please don't do this. It can really screw up your back. (We used to do it at softball but its stopped beig used years ago)

But putting the broom in your hands, and sweeping it side to side, is awesome ab work for women. :laugh: As long as it is followed by bending over with the dust pan, sweeping into dustpan, then lifting dustpan to empty out in the garbage.

Some other good exercises are: vacuuming, dusting, cooking, and cleaning up after the kids. :laugh:

Must be single.......

Nope. I got married, again, last March.

Cleaning is good exercise. You can't really spot reduce fat, so every physical activity you can do will help get rid of your belly fat.... as long as you stay in a caloric deficit. From cleaning to playing with the kids, to playing with the spouse, shopping, or whatever you do in the gym will all help you achieve that caloric deficit to lose body fat.
  • Wendy__D
    Wendy__D Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen reverse crunches mentioned yet. Lay down with your knees low to the ground and bring them up to a tuck position and back down. To make it harder go slow on the way down and don't let your legs rest on the ground. Careful though I could see how this could hurt someone's back without too much trouble either. (I did a quick youtube search and found this video fairly close to what I mean since some people combine in regular crunches to reverse crunches apparently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB2oyawG9KI) Also planks have been mentioned and they're really good. You might also look into side planks, flutter kicks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcXBNRua2eo), or bicycle kicks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FGilxCbdz8).
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options

Some other good exercises are: vacuuming, dusting, cooking, and cleaning up after the kids.
    That, combined with Kegel exercises, That's what my wife does and that it works for both of us.

God Bless!
  • theoesque
    theoesque Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of this set of exercises - they're challenging, work all the different muscles in your abdomen, and can be done anywhere: http://fit-healthy-happy.tumblr.com/post/5497136465/great-ab-workout
  • aryya
    aryya Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Agreed with all, "Abs are made in the kitchen" - no word of a lie ;) I haven't met a person with epic abs and obliques who doesn't eat squeaky clean! ;)

BUT, I also agree that if you want abs, you have to have some muscle underneath the 'top layer' that will show through once that layer is gone. I personally do not like planks (i have a very short attention span) so i do things such as mountain climbers (yes i know this is cardio, but you sure feel it in your core), pushups, lunges, SQUATS, DEADS, scissor/flutter kicks, reverse crunches, hip raises, v-sits, wood choppers, and a whole bucket full of other things ;) Some of the previously mentioned things work your core as a 'secondary' muscle group, but as many have said, give me some heavy squats and deads, and you for sure will get a strong core on you. ;)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight. I guess I chose my words wrong. I want to strengthen my abs, tone if you will. I am losing the weight so I know that will go down, but I need to tone and strengthen.

We know what you meant. And our answers remain the same
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Must be single.......

Nope. I got married, again, last March.

Cleaning is good exercise. You can't really spot reduce fat, so every physical activity you can do will help get rid of your belly fat.... as long as you stay in a caloric deficit. From cleaning to playing with the kids, to playing with the spouse, shopping, or whatever you do in the gym will all help you achieve that caloric deficit to lose body fat.

Cleaning is N.E.A.T. :bigsmile:
  • xxTracey
    xxTracey Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    How do you lose weight from your stomach area then? I carry all my weight there, i actually have very skinny arms and legs haha but can never seem to get rid of belly fat, so if toning excercises won't work what will? Even when i got down to 7st 4lbs i still had belly fat, im now 8st 5lbs trying to get back down to 7st 4lbs but i thought last time i just wasnt excersing enough, but you have all basically just said that won't work so what will? lol. x
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    What's with the 'for women' part? Women should train the same as men..... And there is no spot reducing. You can do all the ab work you want but it's not going to target your midsection and make you lose more weight there. An overall strength training routine and cardio will help more. As far as ab exercises....my favorite to add in are cable wood choppers, decline reverse crunches, weighted cable crunches, and weighted side bends.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    How do you lose weight from your stomach area then? I carry all my weight there, i actually have very skinny arms and legs haha but can never seem to get rid of belly fat, so if toning excercises won't work what will? Even when i got down to 7st 4lbs i still had belly fat, im now 8st 5lbs trying to get back down to 7st 4lbs but i thought last time i just wasnt excersing enough, but you have all basically just said that won't work so what will? lol. x
    You need to look into a better strength routine for your whole body. Stop messing with the popular 'toning' exercises advertised towards women and lift heavy. You can't lose weight from specific areas but weight training is the best tool for body composition changes.
  • xxTracey
    xxTracey Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    But i don't want my arms and legs to be any thinner, i just want to be in proportion, which im not bcause my stomach carries all my weight. I'm not interested in any sort of muscle mass, i just want my stomach to be slimmer to be moe in proportion with the rest of my body lol. x
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    But i don't want my arms and legs to be any thinner, i just want to be in proportion, which im not bcause my stomach carries all my weight. I'm not interested in any sort of muscle mass, i just want my stomach to be slimmer to be moe in proportion with the rest of my body lol. x

If you are carrying "all" your fat in your stomach, then losing fat will make your stomach smaller. :flowerforyou:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hey ya'll! I'm trying to do my best to lose the flab around my midsection. Can anyone recommend some exercises? Other than the regular crunches. Thanks!!

Sadly you can't spot reduce:sad: As your body continues to lose weight and shed fat your belly will get smaller. Unless genetically you're prone to store fat in that area. However exercise does wonderful things to your body! Strength training in particular! Isolated ab work (although i LOVE it and continue to do it)...is not that effective. Lifting heavy weights using compound moves is the way to go to get results. Check out the book 'new rules of lifting for women' for more info. Cardio is awesome for burning calories....but did skimp on the strength training!