Only Elliptical?

Options
Has anyone just used the elliptical Machine as there main exercise and lost a great amount of weight?

Replies

• MissACC
    MissACC Posts: 11
    Options
    The elliptical is pretty much the only machine I use for cardio. I've found it burns the most calories for me. I haven't lost a great deal of weight yet, because I really just started working out, but my mom lost 80 lbs in about a year using the elliptical (and strength training).
  • lafilleavectoi
    lafilleavectoi Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yes, my boyfriend did. He did the elliptical machine EVERYDAY for 6 months at the highest resistance (20 resistance) and went from 184 to 134 (50 lb loss). And that's all he did in terms of exercise. He only consumed 1200 or less calories a day.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. You can lose a great deal of weight with just a good Diet. Cardio just adds you in that process by making the calorie deficit easier to get and helps your body to use the fat/carbs to keep you going with the increased heart rate for that period. Just make sure you eat those calories back.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Has anyone just used the elliptical Machine as there main exercise and lost a great amount of weight?

You can lose weight this way. Unfortunately if this is all you are doing, you will likely be losing some muscle as well. Strength exercise in addition to cardio is very helpful in protecting lean muscle mass while losing weight.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do any exercise to lose weight. Weightloss is a function of diet.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have lost 46lbs (most of this within 3 - 4 months) and I mostly just used the elliptical.
    Swam and walked on occasion too, but all my gym visits were just elliptical.
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    yup, that thee only cardio I really do, its easy on my knees and ankles..
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    It's all I use, and not every day. I've lost 35 lbs so far.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is the main machine I use. But I also walk and bike. The elliptical can get boring after a year's time, as can any piece of cardio equipment. I can't wait for it to warm up a little, and for the sun to be out a little earlier so I can get on my bike some more.
    I tried all the cardio at the gym, and I found the elliptical to be the best calorie burner for me.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i did! i lost about 20 pounds 5 years ago, not watching my calories or anything, but i rode the elliptical religously for 1 hour straight, 5 times a week... now im a little older, and it seems a little more difficult to get my body to lose weight like it used to... now i use the elliptical for 40 minutes and lift / floor excercises for about 45 minutes 4 times a week... along with watching my calories...being younger was so much easier...
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is pretty much the only machine I use for cardio. I've found it burns the most calories for me.
    Be careful with this.
    Unless you're using an HRM you can't really trust what the machines say ESPECIALLY for the elliptical. I would enter my weight (MINUS 10 pounds to be safe) & height and would still get burns up to 300 calories higher than what I found I was ACTUALLY burning when I got an HRM.
    Treadmills may SAY you're burning less but that's because, in my experience, they are more accurate.

The elliptical certainly has its benefits. It's easier on your joints and knees and good for people who don't like running or are bothered by the motion. It also CAN be a good work out but not IMHO if you sit there and read a magazine the whole time. You should be doing a high intensity work out that makes you sweat.

Before I got an HRM and into running I used to love the elliptical cos I thought it was the easiest way to burn calories but I wasn't seeing results. Not that I know better I pretty much never use it especially because I feel running to me in much better shape but there are a variety of reasons running can be really difficult and my body would actually probably like me more if I switched.

Personally I just fine the ellptical boring and inefficient but it doesn't have it plus sides and any kind of cardio will aid weight loss
  • carrisaalejandre
    carrisaalejandre Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone .Well I am also doing Turbo fire when I can but the elliptical is my main exercise since we have it at home.
  • carrisaalejandre
    carrisaalejandre Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    yes I have a Heart rate monitor some days are less calories some are more I only do 35-40mins right now
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    yes I have a Heart rate monitor some days are less calories some are more I only do 35-40mins right now
    That's great then! I wasn't seeing results because I did not and I was eating back calories I didn't actually burn. My Mom uses is all the time BC she has bad knees and she DOES have luck! Plus in college I was also that person studying while on the elliptical so I didn't make use of it really but it can be fantastic cardio

Good Luck =)
  • Sharkington
    Options
    I used to do only the elliptical and lost a little bit of weight, but I honestly got so bored with the thing, that I moved on to other forms of cardio for my workouts. I do use it from time to time when I need to do lower impact cardio (I think it's great for that), but I make sure I am putting in a lot of effort, otherwise it can be incredibly easy for me to just half a** my work out on it.
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Yes, my boyfriend did. He did the elliptical machine EVERYDAY for 6 months at the highest resistance (20 resistance) and went from 184 to 134 (50 lb loss). And that's all he did in terms of exercise. He only consumed 1200 or less calories a day.

It's all I use, and not every day. I've lost 35 lbs so far.
    I have lost 46lbs (most of this within 3 - 4 months) and I mostly just used the elliptical.
    Swam and walked on occasion too, but all my gym visits were just elliptical.

Very inspiring! When I was faithfully on ii every day- I was losing a pound a week.
    I think some of the posts misunderstood the OP. She was asking for those who DID and DO use the Elliptical as the main exercise and lost significant weight.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. When I first began to lose weight, I did the elliptical for 30 min a day on weekdays when I worked and ate 1200 calories and lost quite a lot of weight. I've never regained my original weight, either, and I can easily maintain as long as I keep up the elliptical. Burning extra calories NEVER hurts.
  • BobinNC66
    BobinNC66 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on which one to purchase, in the US?