Holding/lifting weights while on treadmill...

Options
2»

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    better to add ankle weights and pick up the pace to burn more calories

Ankle weights are bad. You are not designed to carry extra weight on that part of your body, and it puts unnatural strain on your joints and changes your natural gait. If you MUST carry weight, do it in the form of a backpack or waistpack.
  • djfriedman81
    Options

Ankle weights are bad. You are not designed to carry extra weight on that part of your body, and it puts unnatural strain on your joints and changes your natural gait. If you MUST carry weight, do it in the form of a backpack or waistpack.

I think at 2 mph or so there should be no change in gait only if picking up with pace...2-3 mph is leisure walkin..i think
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Just increase the Incline.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

Yes, this. I found this out the hard way in my teens. If you want to burn more during cardio, go faster. Then weight train afterward.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I think at 2 mph or so there should be no change in gait only if picking up with pace...2-3 mph is leisure walkin..i think

Are you really willing to risk your joint health when you're not sure? For almost no added benefit?
    I would not. Just walk a little faster.
  • mlh150
    mlh150 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There are a multitude of things wrong with the weights on a treadmill concept. Firstly, it's dangerous. Secondly, it's also unlikely you are receiving any toning benefit. If you want cardio...try intervals. If you want weights...do weights separately. Injuries come easily from an overly repetitive movement for an extended time or more commonly in trying weights on a treadmill the tendency to constantly break with the wrist with small weight in a walking motion. As far as toning, if you are focused on walking its unlikely you are properly contracting the muscle to receive toning benefits. If you usually do one speed...try doing interval training. That will give you the extra burn you are looking for.
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    At my gym, they frown on moving the olympic bar into the "machine" room. It scares all those people who think they're working out.

LOL! That's awesome.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    There are a multitude of things wrong with the weights on a treadmill concept. Firstly, it's dangerous. Secondly, it's also unlikely you are receiving any toning benefit. If you want cardio...try intervals. If you want weights...do weights separately. Injuries come easily from an overly repetitive movement for an extended time or more commonly in trying weights on a treadmill the tendency to constantly break with the wrist with small weight in a walking motion. As far as toning, if you are focused on walking its unlikely you are properly contracting the muscle to receive toning benefits. If you usually do one speed...try doing interval training. That will give you the extra burn you are looking for.

Quoted for truth -- do the weights separate from the cardio :).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Dude. No means NO. Listen to yourself. You're saying that at a slow pace and low weight, there should be no change. No change means NO benefit. So why do it at all?

Like Bean started, ankle weights do much more damage than good. Just increase the incline or speed if you want a more intense workout. Your body is made to walk uphill and fast. It's not made to carry weight at toe level.