Worried I won't stick to this again.

Options
I have tried dieting and exercise routines before and I always give up give in. I feel compelled to not eat, I'll obsess over the diet and then burn out and dive into a steak. I've tried weight watchers, personal training, multiple gym memberships, exercise books. It all seems great at first but I don't stick to it.

I've read it get's easier as you go but I'm not sure. I'm 272 and I have a big frame. I would like to get to 185 or 190. I think that's impossible, but I have some chronic health issues so it's for the best. How did you all stall motivated?

Replies

• angeliqueann
    angeliqueann Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It's not impossible!

It took me 6 weeks in to really see results.

Don't give up. Just keep on doing it.

I lost 46 lbs, started 9/25

I ate well, stuck with MFP EVeryday, even on the days I didn't do so well, and for exercise, I walked, then i found jillian michaels 30 day shred, and then ended up downloading alof of her other videos...
  • Christabelle79
    Christabelle79 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It's not about sticking to it. I had to change my mindset. This isn't a diet. This isn't a fad. This is how my life is now. If I had cancer I would spend the time to get healthy (with chemo, diet change, medication). I'm obese and I am spending the time now to get healthy.

No one should be expecting perfection. No one should be expecting immediate results. "This isn't a sprint, it's a marathon" is thrown around a lot on here, and it's true. You're not changing for today. You're changing to be with us tomorrow.

(Now that my philosophical rant is over...)

Do what you can. What you feel you can do right now. Make small goals. Your BIG goal weight is 185 but your 1st goal weight can be 270. Whatever it is, we are here to help you on this journey. We're all on here for the same reason, to be healthy.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking and start doing. Make a game and have fun. You have a job to be serious with :tongue:
  • HandyASH
    HandyASH Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the words of advice.
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,180 Member
    Options
    I have tried dieting and exercise routines before and I always give up give in. I feel compelled to not eat, I'll obsess over the diet and then burn out and dive into a steak.

Get over the obsession with diet and compulsion to VLC or not eat and you are more likely to stick.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    "If I had cancer I would spend the time to get healthy (with chemo, diet change, medication). I'm obese and I am spending the time now to get healthy. "

Wow... I hadn't ever really thought about it like this. But I had thought, "Aw crap... I'm totally at risk for heart disease and diabetes." I like thinking about this as treating a condition that I already have instead of being motivated by fear that I don't want other things.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Make smaller goals, instead of one big one.
    If you are 272, and you want to get to 185, make your first goal 265 or something like that.
    If you want to eat better, perhaps a good first goal would be to just accurately record what you eat, then cut down soda to X sodas per week, or something like that.
    I'm 5' 11"...I always thought I was "Big and Tall" but as I started losing weight, I realized, I was just tall.
    Set some small baby step goals, Rome wasn't built in a day.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I lurk the MFP forums EVERY night, that's what helps keep me going, honestly. It keeps weight loss on my mind! haha
  • LaceyCwell
    Options
    Once you hit rock bottom and realize you want to do this for you, you will stick with it. Dont think of it as a diet.. Think of it as a lifestyle change. I know it sounds so typical of me to say but you have to change your everyday living instead of just the here and now. Maybe you should start small and build up so it doesnt feel like so much all at once and you dont crash because you feel overwhelmed. Start by logging your food and exercise good or bad and cuting out sweets and sodas, and adding in water to your diet. You will feel so much better, trust me! Then once you feel confident you can stick with that, add in a few other steps. Dont overhall everything all at once, baby steps!

Looking at all the sucess stories on MFP helped me, I love looking at all the before and after photos. Once you find someone who used to look just like you, you realize you CAN do it to!
  • Candylips70
    Options
    If you are 272, and you want to get to 185, make your first goal 265 or something like that.
    If you want to eat better, perhaps a good first goal would be to just accurately record what you eat, then cut down soda to X sodas per week, or something like that.
    I'm 5' 11"...I always thought I was "Big and Tall" but as I started losing weight, I realized, I was just tall.

^^THIS!^^ Set a goal that IS possible. Make small changes, step by step, one day at a time :smile:
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    You can do this. Stop being so hard on yourself. As others have said, set small goals. Don't worry so much about the big picture. Try not to think of it as a diet, that way is doomed to fail because you cannot live on a diet forever. Eat as though you were already thinner. Figure out your BMR and TDEE so that you know exact;y how many calories you need to lose weight and not starve.

Cut out soda and juice, or begin cutting down if cold turkey is too much at first.
    Park farther away and walk.
    Take the stairs instead of the escalator.
    Set your ticker to lose 10 pounds. Do that. BAM, you know you can do it once, so do it again.

Don't give up, we are here for you! :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I have tried dieting and exercise routines before and I always give up give in. I feel compelled to not eat, I'll obsess over the diet and then burn out and dive into a steak. I've tried weight watchers, personal training, multiple gym memberships, exercise books. It all seems great at first but I don't stick to it.

I've read it get's easier as you go but I'm not sure. I'm 272 and I have a big frame. I would like to get to 185 or 190. I think that's impossible, but I have some chronic health issues so it's for the best. How did you all stall motivated?
    1. Don't diet.
    2. Be consistent with just calorie deficit.
    3. Be convinced that this is really what you want. If you're on the fence about it, you'll fail.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Make it as easy as possible to stick to your 'plan'
    visit this link if you haven't already
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Once you have a ball park of how many calories you can eat, probably more than you thought, you can make a 'plan'

1.Learn as much as you can about healthy foods that are easy for you to eat and make.

tons of super simple recipes, taste good, and good for you too
    if you don't already know, learn what the portion size is supposed to look like
    in real terms, like your chicken breast the size of a deck of cards,
    your apple the size of a tennis ball, orange like a soft ball
    or in some way for you to easily recognize it's the size it should be
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/slideshow.asp?show=12

I hate calorie counting, but the more I learn about what I'm eating,
    I don't have to count, which makes me obsessive too, then I quit
    but knowing what it should look like without measuring cups etc
    you'll also be fine eating away from home, and prepared for a healthy life.

At first you may need to measure, but soon you'll know what a cup of cereal etc looks like.
    Most of all, it needs to be food you like eating.
    explore with different ethnic foods
    if you made a dinner of carribean jerk chicken with grilled peppers and a smoothie
    does that sound like diet food?
    You can totally make your food be exciting and look forward to your healthy meals
    , and still lose weight.
    here's a really simple and tasty snack:
    http://steamykitchen.com/10725-crispy-roasted-chickpeas-garbanzo-beans.html

2. Workouts you enjoy

I'm not sure how limited you are, but hopefully you can workout too.
    It's more important to find an activity you love or at least like doing than
    just running because you thought it burned the most calories.

Maybe there's a club or team you can join? or do it with your family?
    Doing the workout with someone, even if it's a kid helps with
    accountability.

3. Tracking your progress

Could be as simple as just an x on a calendar, that you worked out.
    or plug in your weight/measurements on myfitnesspal.
    some people just take a picture once a month, they don't even weigh
    on the scale.
    However you decide record it, it should be second nature to you.
    Do you prefer to be on the computer? prefer paper and pencil?
    maybe there's a real life friend or family member you can call
    or meet at the gym regularly.

4. Challenges or groups
    Many people have success by joining either a short term or long term challenge.
    It could be focusing on getting your 30 mins a day, losing weight, not eating chips,
    whatever habit you are working on, there's a challenge for it.
    If that's for you, lots of challenges in groups on myfitnesspal
    or there are many to choose from on skinnyo.com too.

sometimes, just being in a group that you have something in common with,
    and can talk to them when you have a victory or a hard day
    helps more than just posting a comment in the general forum,
    because they understand you better.

Hang in there, i hope that helps.
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    A heart attack motivated me; as you said, not having one might motivate you! I set large goals and small goals; I was at 282 and my large goal is 182....but my small goal is 5 lbs a month (much easier to do). And I decided from having dieted many times, the ONLY diet is what you eat....but a lifestyle change is what you eat, how much of it you eat and exercise.

Good luck
  • Ctlopez07
    Options
    On my iphone i have this quote "It takes 4 weeks for you to notice you body changing. 8 weeks for your friends to notice and 12 weeks for the rest of the world. Give it 12 weeks and dont give up"

Never stop trying! Start with small goals - like cutting out sodas and replace with water - then take out on meal and replace it with a shake!

Dont give up!! You only get one body, make it count!
  • Texafornia23
    Texafornia23 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on forever... just focus on making today good. Results don't come from the decisions you may or may not make next week, or even tomorrow, its about the decisions you make today. So for today hit your calorie goals, exercise, and don't get discouraged. You've only got to make today good. Each day is about your immediate choices, and you can't obsess about future potential decisions.
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

I like this advice. You can do it!
  • Jhergh
    Jhergh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I looked at myself in the mirror and it sucks to see that i am not where i want to be in life. I want to be the girl in my dreams. If i want to run or go hiking i want to do it with out getting winded. The trick is to do it for you! Dont you want to wake up one morning and really just jump out of bed LOL
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    dont start out with drastic changes. Not everyone can go from 3000 calories a day to 1200. Perhaps shoot for 1lb a week loss instead of two. When it comes to exercise dont kill yourself, dont push too hard. You may get a great burn that first day but then you wont be able to get out of bed for a week and will lose motivation. Start off small. What worked for me is setting my goal at 1lb per week and exercising 30min a day with various home vids.