my TDEE IS 4400 calories ..how much shod i aim to lose?

Options
hey guys

i have calculated my TDEE ...im big man and i exercise 6 days a week and my TDEE says 4400 and i burn 800 calories through exercises daily

how much shoud i aim to lose per week? and how much should i cut off from my daily intake

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a high TDEE!

I would only recommend taking 20% off for a healthy weight loss. However, much bigger people can cut more at the beginning with no issues. Depends on what your stats are.
  • sabrekism
    sabrekism Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    well im 300 pounds with 5'6 tall and 29 old male :(

ur saying my TDEE calculation is wrong ? like i said i exercise 6 days aweek
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    4400 seems high man , i doubt u will lose weight on something like 4000 calories ... have u tried other TDEE calculators ?
  • delyn356
    delyn356 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't think she was implying that it was wrong, just that it's pretty high..

But like she said, for healthy weight loss usually TDEE - 20% is recommended, but for people who have a lot more weight to lose, they may do TDEE - 30%.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    You can safely aim for 2 - 3 pounds of loss per week given your current size.

I would suggest eating 3,500 calories per day (which accounts for exercise so no need to eat them back) and see how you go from there.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I don't think she was saying it's wrong, just that it's a lot more than what you usually see. What I would do is figure out first how many calories you're eating normally to maintain your weight. That way you'll know your true TDEE (since what MFP gives you is an educated estimate) and you can figure out how many calories to cut from there. You can actually cut more than most because bigger people can afford a bigger deficit. What did MFP give you to eat?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'd go with using MFP as designed rather than TDEE.

With a lot to lose, you can set it to lose 2lb a week - it will come off much quicker to start with anyhow. If you find you're really hungry, adjust up to lose 1.5 or 1lb a week. Set your activity level to your lifestyle, not including exercise. Note that in MFP the planned exercise days you enter does not affect your daily calorie total.

Log your exercise as and when you do it and MFP will add those extra "exercise calories" calories to your daily total. Eat back a good proportion of them - though with more to lose, if you're not hungry don't feel obliged to eat them all

For me and several MFP friends this works better than TDEE as you only eat for the exercise you actually do, not what you plan.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    It might be a little high but not that high. You may be over estimating your activity level. My TDEE is 3600 and im 6'0 and 220 lbs. I also work out 6 days a week. You should be looking at lightly active or moderately active unless you have a very intense job that requires high amounts of physical activities all day long. Typically healthy weight loss is TDEE - 20%, But given your weight you probably can support TDEE -30% and still lose weight at a healthy rate. Just my opinion.

Also these calculators can get a little wonky at high BF% levels because they basically require you to "feed the fat" and dont really calculated just the energy you actually need and use.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    over 4000 calories...wow...but I have to ask...how many calories did you consume in a day to gain weight then...I am truly curious as I just can't picture me eating that many calories ever.

The usual method is to eat around 20% lower than your TDEE. I would advise double checking your TDEE and BMR on scooby's website and then eat at a comfortable level between the two numbers.

I wish you well on your weight loss journey...and wouldn't mind drooling over your diary as you do it...4000 cals...man oh man what I would EAT with that!!!!
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Your calculation is right according to fitnessfrog.com 4442, You can cut 20-25% for weight loss but it will depend on how you feel. try not to g lower than your BMR
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Bruh, you have a lot of bodyfat to create a large deficit. A TDEE of 4400 is very high and I doubt your metabolism is that fast. Here is what you can do.

Set you protein intake at 1glb-1.5g/lb of LBM (for you)
    Fat intake .4g/lb per LBM
    Fill the rest of your calories with carbs.

Start off with 3000 or something.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    You can safely aim for 2 - 3 pounds of loss per week given your current size.

I would suggest eating 3,500 calories per day (which accounts for exercise so no need to eat them back) and see how you go from there.

I think this is probably your best bet. Don't forget the calculators are only an estimate. A lot of weight loss is trial and error.

I would start off on the 3500 cals for a month and see where you are at the end of it.
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Are these 6 workouts planned? Or it's your normal practice? Becasue I have calculated my TDEE based on my previous lifestyle - working on a desk all day. And than I have my exercise calories form 6 days workouts separately...
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think you'd be fine starting at 3000 calories a day. And see where it goes from there. Partly because I think the calculator is overestimating for you, and also because I think you can support TDEE -30%
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    4400 seems high man , i doubt u will lose weight on something like 4000 calories ... have u tried other TDEE calculators ?
    I dunno. I maintain on up to 4000 a day; 270, 23 years old, 5'9" and gyming 4 days a week.

Still, I'd say cut to 3000 a day as that is still a good amount of food and you can afford the big deficit.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    i agree, 3000 is probably a good place to start and see how you go, and i would eat back exercise calories (personally).
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    If your are. CM Punk ill buy it otherwise recalculate.
  • sabrekism
    Options
    ok i have recalculated using 3 sites and they all said same thing...4400

seems some forgetting that i said i exercise 6/7 days per week

adding with my heavy weight im thinking its logical....otherwise im confused :(
  • sabrekism
    Options
    also im planning to maintain 3000 and burn 800 in the gym
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Im doing Trial and Error . cant trust tdee calculators do it yourself , eat 4000 cals for 2 weeks and see if u lost if not keep dropping the cals until u atleast stay the same weight (maintanance) from there u can work out how many calories u need in order to lose how ever many pounds u want per week . TRIAL AND ERROR old school
    i wouldnt even consider starting at 4400