Anyone work 3rd shift like me?

Options
New here and looking for some people who might have a similar schedule like me...I was working 2 full time jobs and eating horrible because I had no time to do anything. So I quit one job almost 2 wks ago because my health is more important to me. I've been working 3rd shift for 7 months but finding it hard to stick to a routine the past 2 weeks. Sleeping is all messed up for me :sad: Wanted to find some new friends with similar schedule or maybe people who have been through the same thing. Good luck everyone! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Clarissia_Nicole
    Clarissia_Nicole Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I work that shift too. Mine is 8pm-8am. Makes it so hard to work out because if I do it before, I cant stay awake through the night. And afterwards, I am just so tired :/ It makes it hard to eat well too. And I only work on the weekends then have to attempt to go back to a "normal" scheduel through the week! *sigh* it's hectic.
    What I do it just grab a notebook and try to plan out a scheduel ahead of time. It helps a bit, plus I'll cook healthy meals the day before and take leftovers to work. And I try to arrange my rest days from working out on the days that I work late nights. If you're full time though thats probably not an option. Hang in there!
  • Bethany7053
    Bethany7053 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do not work third shift but my husband does and I feel for you. I could not imagine dieting and trying to work out while working all night. My husband has tried to go to the gym before and after work and he just can not get on a good schedule. The best thing I have done for him is make healthy meals ahead of time. When he comes home at 6 in the morning, I am in bed sound asleep so I make him some healthy breakfast/snacks before I go to bed so he is not eating a ton of fat and then sleeping. Good luck!
  • gettinback2fabulous
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I did start making my lunches and dinners a head of time and just storing it in the fridge which has made it easier for me. Good luck to you both :)
  • gettinback2fabulous
    Options
    bump
  • 6ee8ee
    6ee8ee Posts: 25
    Options
    I usually work 7pm-7am, but sometimes I work the am-pm, so my schedule is all over the place. I usually just eat when I can, or when I feel I should... Which leads to over eating. :-/
  • Badd3st
    Badd3st Posts: 28
    Options
    I do. I work from 11pm- until...It was definitely an adjustment since I was used to working a 7a-3p schedule. It'll get better though. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • aRustyAnGie
    aRustyAnGie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I work 3rd shift. My schedule is 10:30 p.m. - 7:00 a.m. Sunday night through Thursday night. It is definitely hard to adjust when trying to be healthy. It is easier for me throughout the week than on the weekends because my schedule changes a lot when I'm off. The schedule that works best for me is to come home from work in the morning and exercise then. I don't think I keep my schedule like regular 3rd shifters. A lot of the people I work with go home in the morning, sleep and then get back up around 3-5pm. Me on the other hand, I come home in the morning and stay up until anywhere from 1-3pm then sleep until 9pm and get up and ready for work. I try to eat my "breakfast" around the time I get up or within a couple hours. I then eat my "lunch" around 4am and my "dinner" is around 9am with of course snacks in between those meals. Anyway, I would love to be friends with you. :) Feel free to add me and best of luck to you!!!!!

Angie
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I work 3rds, 11pm-7am, with earlier start times for OT. I love it actually :) Get home at 7:30, workout at 8, recovery shake. Shower and breakfast. Then I typically try to sleep from 12-7 or so. Been on 10's for most of the last 6 months.

I either prep a few days dinners in advance or get up earlier to cook before work. I have a tendency to take the exact same things in my lunch every day, which helps a lot. We get a small break every 2 hours <3

It can be rough some times, but it can be managed successfully. I also started to keep my overnight schedule on weekends. That has helped tremendously.
  • MsKriss281
    MsKriss281 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I work a 6 week rotating shift which includes all types of shifts. (Graves, days, evenings...I'm all over the board really.) I have completely cleaned out my locker at work where the only snacks left in there are healthy snacks. I bypass the snack machine at all costs, because there is absolutely nothing healthy going on in there. I take the time to pack my lunch and snacks because I have found it is much easier to stick to my by planning. I try to stick to 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day and lots of protein and it seems to be working for me so far.

I love going to the gym when I get off of graves and nights because there is usally no one in the gym at these times. Its my two weeks of day shift that I hate going to the gym for, that after work rush is ridiculous.
  • trytbfit
    trytbfit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I also work an offshift 6pm to 6am 3 days one week and 4 days the next week. I sleep 8am-2:30pm.. I usually eat something when I get out of work for bfast, but I think I am going to substitute that for a smoothie or protein shake then I can get rid of extra calories before I go to bed. I don;t know how people can work a 10 hr day or 12 hr day and then exercise, I am to tired to get in a decent work out after work. I workout 2:30pm - 4:00pm, Cardio mostly, running or walking on treadmill or spinning. I know I need to add in weights, I slack at that.... then I prepare a dinner for work Chicken and veggies, or I'll grab a lean cuisine if I decide to sleep in longer or if I have errands. I love the Lean Cusine Panins, 300 or 360 calories, and they're filling. I bring fruit to work for a snack. Banana, apple, orange, strawberries, whatever I feel like that day. Monday I start a bootcamp for 30 days at 4:30 pm M-F, I had a groupon thats going to expire. ohh boy thats gonna be tough I'll have to rush home on the days I work and quickly shower and head into work.

So getting in a workout while working an offshift is doable, you just have to get on a schedule, maybe sleep a little less than 8 hours. My days off I tend to stay up til 3 am anyway. So maybe thats why it works for me.

Good Luck Girl!!!
  • kbimbers
    Options
    I have been working night shift (7p-7a, 3-4 nights/wk) pretty much my entire working life, except when I stayed home for 12 years to raise the babies. I have been back to work on nights for the past 14 years. I agree that this shift can ruin healthy habits. I see that most of you are young and/or moms, so your social lives and family time cuts into things. Until 8 years ago, I would go to bed right after the kids and hubby would leave for school/work, usually at 8am. Then I would be up by 2, no later than 3 and grab water and a protein bar and head to the gym for an hour, shower at the gym then go home eating my protein bar and drinking water. I would then get dinner started then get myself ready for work. Sit down with the family to eat and off to work I went. On my days off, I kept a "day" life, get home from work, go straight to bed, sleep until noon and then get on with my day (water, protein bar, gym and back home). Then I was in an accident, out of work for 9 months and I used that as an excuse just to do nothing. That had me gaining almost 100 lbs over 8 years.

So, now I have taken control of myself and my excuses. Since we are now empty nesters and we both work night shift (healthcare and law enforcement), we pretty much live night shift 24/7. We are in bed by 8am, up by 3, workout (right now for me it is in 10-15 minute time periods through out my night, even at work), shower, eat and live our lives. On our days off, we do the same thing and any business stuff or doctors appointments are usually the last appointments of the day, never in the morning. We plan all our meals about three weeks ahead, shop once a week, prepare what we can for our lunches for work so we don't have to rush at the last minute or order take-out at work. It works for us and it keeps our circadian rhythms "normal" for us, no bouncing back and forth.

We finally figured out that there is never the "right time" or "enough time" to workout unless we stop with the excuses and just do it.
  • abby_dunham
    Options
    Exactly!! I work 11p-7a 5 nights a week. and it's so hard to figure out which meals are which, and then find time to exercise. i usually work that in here at work when I can. I hve 2 kids at home and a husband who expect me to spend time with them as well, so sleep takes a back seat these days, and my health is going south. I'm diabetic on insulin with high cholesterol and I need to lose roughly 150 lbs. If anyone wants to add me, they can. I could use some companionship & encouragement on MFP :)
  • javienjaydenmommy
    Options
    I work night shift 11p-730 am. This s my first week bac on mfp so this week has worked out for me so far as with my eating. I just treat my nights like days and vice verse. I eat dinner around 8/9 pack a bag with snacks and som kind of meal rather a smart one a salad etc eat that around 2/3am and eat my breaksfast around 545/6am and snack inbetween those meals. I have 2 small babies and a husband at home so aint no going to sleep when my family get uparound 9/10 I cook them breakfast and I usually eat some oameal or something then I go to sleep. Get up round 5/6 start dinner and do it all over again. I personally dont look at the time differancr because my night is everybody day. Just prepare yourslf take snacks drink plenty of water and fruit and you will be ok add me
  • tiff_doubleu
    Options
    I started working 3rd shift about 6 weeks or so ago, working 10p - 6a. I work with a nutritionist who had some experience working 3rd shift, so I'll pass on the advice that I've gotten from her. Here is a typical work day for me -

I sleep asap after my shift - Since sleep is so vital to weight loss and a healthy lifestyle, I need to get it in and know that it's my first priority of the day. No TV, phone, or computer helps me get to sleep fairly quickly. I wake up around 3p-5p. I eat something like oatmeal and a protein of some sort when I wake up to give me energy to go work out. I work out from about 5.30-7. I make my way home, clean up, pack my food and get myself into work by 9.30ish. I eat my dinner before I start my shift. It's usually a meal I've prepared in the crock pot or something that's easy to take as leftovers. I try not to eat or snack too much during my shift, but usually around 2-3am I get a little hungry. I usually have some cottage cheese and/or veggies. When I get off at 6am, I have something very light - like fruit juice and a Greek yogurt - just enough to subside my hunger so I can sleep without a belly full of carbs/sugar.

I agree with previous posts that it's easy to maintain this during the work week, but my days off are a little harder to keep such a disciplined fitness/food routine. It's all about communicating with your family and friends so that they know what kind of support you need to make healthy choices.
  • gettinback2fabulous
    Options
    I really appreciate everyone commenting to help me out glad to know I'm not the only one :)
  • des4ever
    des4ever Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I work from 630p-7a on the weekends. Before I started this job I was on a diet and lost 10 pounds easily. After starting the job however I have gained back 5 out of those 10 pounds. :(. So, I'm happy to see some of the suggestions on here for keeping your diet maintained while you are doing your shifts. Starting today I decided no more, I need to get healthy. Hopefully with the support of other people I can reach my goals.

exercise.png
  • kaitkur0804
    kaitkur0804 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I work 3 jobs and attend college full time. I am always running. I leave my house early in the morning and don't get home until late at night. And then I still have work to do at home. I know how hard it is to eat on the run but stick with it you'll be alright!
  • gettinback2fabulous
    Options
    I work from 630p-7a on the weekends. Before I started this job I was on a diet and lost 10 pounds easily. After starting the job however I have gained back 5 out of those 10 pounds. :(. So, I'm happy to see some of the suggestions on here for keeping your diet maintained while you are doing your shifts. Starting today I decided no more, I need to get healthy. Hopefully with the support of other people I can reach my goals.

exercise.png

You can do it girl and there are lots of people right here to help you and I'm here anytime you need some supposrt or motivation:wink:
  • Nighttimeninja
    Options
    I'm a new night shifter after 14 years on day shift....it really messes with my eating habits and definitely cramps my workouts. I still want to lose 50 some odd lbs and would love to have more night owls buddies to trade tips and motivation with!!! I"m a single mom with 2 teens in Colorado. Please anyone feel free to add me, the more the merrier on this journey!
  • gettinback2fabulous
    Options
    I'm a new night shifter after 14 years on day shift....it really messes with my eating habits and definitely cramps my workouts. I still want to lose 50 some odd lbs and would love to have more night owls buddies to trade tips and motivation with!!! I"m a single mom with 2 teens in Colorado. Please anyone feel free to add me, the more the merrier on this journey!

Request comming your way girl...its a hard adjustment I've always worked days too and when I come home I fall asleep for like 2 hrs and then my body thinks I can stay awake all day and then wants to go to sleep by the time I have to go to work ugh!

Love the username btw :)