Saving Money/ Cutting Costs

Options
DamnImASexyBitch
DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
What do you do to save money or cut costs? I've always been horrible at that. If I wanted something, I'd just get it. I took a lesser paying job recently ( but I secured better benefits and less stress ) so I need to learn. I pretty much just stopped buying anything extra unless I have cash in hand to do so.
I've decided that since I work 5 days a week in the salon, I'm going to save $5 a day of tip money for the next year. At the end of the year I should have saved $1300. Responsible me says cool, pay off the credit card you cut up. Spontaneous me says...ohhhh shopping spree or vacation or something that I probably shouldn't buy/do!
So anyways like I said, share with me what lil tips or tricks you have found useful, please!

Replies

• Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I don't buy things I can't afford.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Track every. single. penny. I'm willing to bet that you may be surprised where you are spending (wasting) money.

Pay cash for things too. A $60 swipe of the credit/debit card feels a lot different than handing over three $20 bills.

The only reasons we use a credit card for almost every purchase are 1) we love the cashback rewards and 2) we pay our bill off in full each and every month.
  • NatzC123
    NatzC123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Budget,
    I do a weekly budget and then I can see what needs to be paid and what's left over to save etc
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    pick up the book "i will teach you to be rich" by Ramit Sethi. the title is tongue in cheek, as it doesn't do anything in regards to get rich quick, but it teaches you to manage your money and creat spending plans, and make your money work for you.

for instance, credit cards aren't a bad thing many of us think they are. if you spend within your means, you can use a credit card to accumulate points and help you out, such as paying for a hotel room with points on a trip.

they can also give you better insurance on car rentals, extended warrenties on items purchased, and protect you from fraud.
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    There's usually a little conversation in my head that goes something like:

"This game costs $50, to pay for that I have to work for x number of hours. Do I really want to spend x hours paying for this game? How often will I use it? I think I'll use it y number of times.."

decide if the difference between x and y are good enough to spend that money on...usually ends up that no, they're not :D
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Budget! Make one. Stick to it.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    For me, most of my money wastage goes on food. When I go shopping now, I always bring a list of things I need so I rarely get anything else, if I do it's just a couple of things. More planning = less food wastage, better food choices AND more savings. Win-win-win!!

Also, paying in cash helps as I'm more likely to think about what I'm buying.

Someone said budget, I thought that would've been the first choice that everyone does automatically unless they're made of money, but I know that's not true. So if you don't, do! I've always done one, even before I moved out of home when my only real bills were my mobile one and the gym. I'd write down what I had to/planned to buy and then every month I'd know what I could have for random purchases or savings.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Food got to be a major expense in our house. We recently overhauled the way we shop/eat and it's saving us, so far, about $70/week, that extra $280 a month will be nice. I do spent a lot more time in the kitchen now but it's been worth it.

I also had a bad drive-thru coffee habit which I kicked a while ago. My husband took over handling the finances and surprise, surprise, we have a lot more money when I have to fess up to how much I spend. lol.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    www.livingrichwithcoupons.com

some will laugh, but I have gotten so many things I need for so much less money.

and no, I dont buy 200 of everything.

I buy 2-4 newspapers a week, and there are tons of printables
  • sconns21
    sconns21 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    We live really cheaply by being less materialistic. We stopped watching television and you don't see all the advertising. I have a monthly budget and keep track of everything I spend and what I spend it on. We make all of our meals from scratch and most without meat (which is expensive in the UK).

The main thing is when you see something that you're going to buy ask yourself do you "need" it or do you "want" it. Also putoff buying it for 30 days. If you can go without for 30 days you usually forget about it. If not then buy it.

:smile:
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You could use this to demotivate you from spending: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/demotivator/

But other than that, like others have said, track every single thing you spend down to the last penny. Work out a budget and stick to it. If you have annual bills, work out how much they would cost if you were to pay them monthly, and put at least that much to one side each month so you have the cash ready for when the bill comes round again.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    A street dog goes from place to place in search for food. Always worrying about it. Just running around.

A Cheetah on the other hand is a lazy as hell animal and if game happens to come nearby, it'll only then pounce on the opportunity else it'll just keep sleeping.

I am a Cheetah. I don't worry about saving etc. I live with minimal means as it is and somehow, I have never went to bed empty stomach.

Best advice, learn your needs vs. wants. Focus on your needs and when they're fulfilled, focus on leaving some money for rainy day and THEN get to the want

Good luck
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Track every. single. penny. I'm willing to bet that you may be surprised where you are spending (wasting) money.

Pay cash for things too. A $60 swipe of the credit/debit card feels a lot different than handing over three $20 bills.

The only reasons we use a credit card for almost every purchase are 1) we love the cashback rewards and 2) we pay our bill off in full each and every month.

Agree< And it is a great way to have records for deductions if you have a business:-)
    Also, make a budget, like you set your fitness goals, and make it important and save:-) Once your accountable for your money, and you have a plan, you will keep it rolling-Good Luck$$
  • Sla6adm
    Sla6adm Posts: 31
    Options
    I get paid to go shopping. E.g At McDonalds last week I got paid £12 and the cost of my meal to eat there, and fill out a questionnaire to say if it was good or not

Gapbuster is the name of the comoany :)

(You obviously don't have to do fast food) Alexe x
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself 3 questions every time you spend money.

#1) Can I afford it?
    #2) Do I need (as opposed to just want) it?
    #3) Do I already have something else that will do the same thing?

Only if you answer yes, yes, no . . . can you actually spend the money on it.
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cvsaunders
    cvsaunders Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    - Always make your lunch for work, take it each day.
    - Plan your weekly menu and shop accordingly, don't shop more than once a week as you will buy extra things you don't really need
    - Have meals prepared and frozen for those days you don't have time to cook or can't be bothered..no trips to take away shops
  • seren7189
    seren7189 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    1. Make a budget
    2. track your dollars just like you'd track calories
    3. check out using coupons... just don't buy stuff because you have a coupon, lol
    4. see if you can reduce your cable/phone/internet etc bills
    5. Go through all your stuff, you might find things you didnt know you had
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I married a budget analyst, and told her to fix it.

100k in debt 4 years ago, down to about 5k now.

It was worth the cost of the ring =)
  • Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    We live really cheaply by being less materialistic. We stopped watching television and you don't see all the advertising. I have a monthly budget and keep track of everything I spend and what I spend it on. We make all of our meals from scratch and most without meat (which is expensive in the UK).

The main thing is when you see something that you're going to buy ask yourself do you "need" it or do you "want" it. Also putoff buying it for 30 days. If you can go without for 30 days you usually forget about it. If not then buy it.

This. Also, don't go to malls. There's nothing you need at the mall. When shopping, think, "could I buy this in a grocery store?" If you couldn't buy it in a grocery store, then it isn't a necessity, so don't buy it at all. (Even so, there are some things at grocery stores that aren't necessities - but you know what I mean.) I shop at Target, for instance, and tend to throw a lot of clothes into the cart along with the necessities - and that's a big No No that I have to stop. But basically, don't shop anywhere that you don't NEED to be.

Do you have cable tv? We dropped our cable and put an antena up on our roof. They now make flat antenas that don't show from the ground. Yeah, I miss some shows but who has time to watch all that tv anyway? With all those commercials for things you don't need? Perhaps make dates to go to friend's houses to watch specific shows with them.

Also try not to eat out. It's cheaper and healthier to have friends over to your place for a dinner you make yourself than to go out. I know people have crazy diets but if you put out a "salad bar" or "taco bar" you can probably satisfy every special diet well enough for a dinner.

And then some people, like me, take 2nd jobs to earn extra cash, when we can (for people who have little kids it's not really doable, though).