beans beans beans....

Options
lwanbaugh81
lwanbaugh81 Posts: 70 Member
Hello all....
I know beans are super healthy and filling but I'm not sure what to do with them. Bags of dried beans are so cheap and I'm on a pretty strict budget so healthy filling cheap dishes are great. Someone give me some advice on beans and how to cook them so they are yummy, will last awhile in my fridge and of course healthy!! Thanks.
Lindsey

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I make a big crockpot of pinto and/or black beans at least once a month. Then we use the food processor and some taco seasoning to make 'refried beans' with them. From there we do burritos, or tostada's, etc. Or use the beans in tamale pie or tex mex casserole. black beans can be made to use in some awsome brownies. You can make chili cheap with dry kidney beans. There is a good white chicken chili with great northern beans. You can make a good mixed bean soup with a ham bone or some beef bones. I use the juice from my big crockpot of beans to make rice or quinoa for other dishes, always adds flavor.

I also saw a recipie for garbonzo beans in a butternut squash soup that was REALLY good.
  • frog8381
    frog8381 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Cuban Black Bean Soup
    http://jeanetteshealthyliving.com/2012/12/crockpot-cuban-black-bean-soup-recipe-frijoles-negros-power-foods.html

This was delicious! I topped it with a dollop of sour cream, onions/tomatoes/red pepper and some avocado. It was really tasty and made great leftovers.

ETA: I put it on a small bed of rice as well, but that's not necessary if you don't want.
  • j_a_witz
    Options
    Bump to see what else gets posted.
  • missyfarr
    missyfarr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    homeade hummus with garbanzo beans is always great to have in the fridge to eat with rice crackers or raw veggies (or on bread for a sandwich). I also use white beans to make dip. White beans (great northern or any other) are good in a brothy soup with some chicken sausage and greens (kale) and maybe some leftover cooked rice or couscous. I have an amazing cookbook that is all bean recipes! They are so versatile and good for you.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Mexican Lentil Soup has been a staple in our menu for some time...

http://low-cholesterol.food.com/recipe/mexican-lentil-soup-160173

Can make it on the stove top or in a crock pot. Add cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips--whatever.

Can make with other beans if you wish... If I make it with black beans, I use canned ones, but you could use dried ones, too, if you precook them.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    red lentils make an awesome thick and hearty soup.. Boil them in chicken broth with some diced onion, carrot and cellery. salt and pepper to taste. fast, easy, and delish.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I cook large batches and then freeze them on a cookie sheet before transferring to a freezer bag. I always have them handy to toss into random recipes.
  • Angela7zFit
    Angela7zFit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I have a bean recipe. It has a can of mixed beans drained (I am sure you can use whatever beans you want) about 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat pasta, dijion mustard (1 tsp); about 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar; 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil; one tomato chopped and 1/2 a cucumber; some salt pepper; basil oregano whatever spices I have around. It makes two serving and I take that for lunch.

I like it and its filling.
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to eat more beans . Some great ideas here, thanks!
  • Punkin7411
    Punkin7411 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love all kinds of dried beans, black, pinto, navy, great northern, you name it. I have several recipes for bean salads that include brown rice (I now have fallen in love with black rice) and sweet red peppers, corn, etc. and some use a small amount of oil with spices and one called Southwest Bean Salad (I think it's a Beachbody recipe) uses white wine vinegar so no fat. You can change things around to your liking. I divide it into portions and take it for lunch. Might add a whole wheat tortilla on the side or greek yogurt.
  • pkrichar
    pkrichar Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Bump, good topic.
  • Dani_Davies23
    Options
    Homemade black bean burgers!
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Beans are great for so many things, but if you are going to use dry beans plan for it because it takes a long time (except lentils that cook fast.) I prepare them Puertorrican style, so... Heat the pan or pressure cooker , and a little olive oil, add you "base" like garlic, onions, green olives, cumin, bay leaves, oregano, etc... I like to use "sofrito" witch is a blend of culantro, tomato, onions, garlic, peppers, and other spices (Goya-in the frozen section). When all the flavors are combined add the beans, water, and salt. Let it boil util beans are tender. Some of the dishes that can be made with beans are:
    1. Brown rice and beans, or quinoa and beans
    2. Chilis (turkey, lean beef, or chicken)
    3. Turkey tenderloin, chick pea, and veggie stew (add turmeric for this one, is so good)
    4. 16 bean soup or as a "stew" over rice or quinoa
    5. Lentil and beef soup, or let cook a little longer add veggies and you have a stew
    6. Cook the rice and beans together to make "arroz moro"(Cuban black rice), or "arroz con habichuelas" (yellow rice and red beans).
    7. Stuffed zucchini with lentils and quinoa.
    8. Kale, bacon, and cannellini beans.

Good luck and have fun!
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Bean soup
    Bean dip
    Beans as a side dish or in a burrito
    Black bean brownies
    Chili
    Veggie burgers
    Veggie nuggets
    Hummus
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    don't forget pea soup or navy bean soup with a left over ham bone, or smoked meat from the store. Smoked necks, etc add lots of flavor at a small cost! Minestrone is easy with frozen veggies, beans, base broth and canned tomatoes. I like to use a stock starter for my soups, and one of my favorites is the Ham base from http://www.penzeys.com/. Think it's going to be a soup making weekend. I freeze serving sizes in zip loc bags that then stack nicely once frozen. They are easy to grab and take to work to nuke for lunch or a quick dinner.
  • Freedomgurl585
    Freedomgurl585 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    As a Latina beans are a staple at our house! I soak my beans overnight in a bowl in the fridge, you can add a spinkle of salt/pepper to enhance their flavor overnite. Then I toss them into a huge pot with boiling water and boil away, covered. Once they are tender I toss in some tomato paste, garlic powder, cumin (lots), oregano and diced onions...Viola! Simple, easy tasty dish. I serve it to the kids with white rice and I have a bowl as is. Delish!
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    these are some really great ideas, everyone! I've been wanting to try dried beans instead of the canned beans... do I need to let them soak overnight or am I able to cook them as is...?
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    these are some really great ideas, everyone! I've been wanting to try dried beans instead of the canned beans... do I need to let them soak overnight or am I able to cook them as is...?

` If you soak them overnight they will cook faster. but you can always just boil them but it will take a while.
  • MrsCassieThreatt
    MrsCassieThreatt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Go to Amazon.com and get a cookbook called Bean By Bean...you'll never go bean confused again.
    :laugh:
  • Chelle_Davis
    Options
    Awesome thread with some great ideas!!!