Strong Lifts 5x5 , starting at lower weight than 45lbs?

Options
So Ive been doing weights on the machine for a few weeks.... M, W, F I do my entire body in a single workout then Cardio T-Th-Sat..

Ive been able to increase my weights with most every workout with the exception of biceps & triceps..... Lifting a mere 20 lbs on those is a struggle for me ( this is where I started) ... whereas with most of the other machines Im at over 80 lbs ( doing 3 sets of 12-15) and even over 100 lbs on my back stretch and leg press machine.....

I want to try Strong Lifts (starting at 45 lbs) but am worried since I cant even lift 20 lbs free weights....
I did take a Body Pump call earlier this week and was able to lift 25 lbs on the barbell and though I struggled with the workout, I made it thru....

So, has anyone started the Strong Lifts at less than 45 lbs?? Would doing so be a waste of time?? Should I just stick to the machines for another months or so and try then?

Replies

• HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I've not done it, but from a general perspective, just start at a weight that's right for you. No point delaying, as the sooner you start, the sooner you will get stronger.

If it's lighter than a 20kg Olympic bar, that's fine, the absolute amount of weight you lift is pretty irrelevant at the moment, as long as you make progression and get stronger.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    5 sets of 5 is my favorite for strength. you'll definitely move up in strength. i say go for it
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    For the lifts you do in stronglifts you should be able to do 45 lbs. They are big compoung movements, not the little isolation exercises you are probably doing with 20s.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    5 x 5 - add lb per week. You'll be amazed how quickly your numbers shoot up.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 5x5 for about a month now and can't do more than 15lb for my over head presses (using free weights). I'm up to 55 on my bench press but I am terrible at OHP.

I don't let it get me down, I'm making progress on all other lifts and that's all I want.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    get off the machines.
  • louisvillejg
    louisvillejg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For the lifts you do in stronglifts you should be able to do 45 lbs. They are big compoung movements, not the little isolation exercises you are probably doing with 20s.

THIS ^^^
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    So Ive been doing weights on the machine for a few weeks.... M, W, F I do my entire body in a single workout then Cardio T-Th-Sat..

Ive been able to increase my weights with most every workout with the exception of biceps & triceps..... Lifting a mere 20 lbs on those is a struggle for me ( this is where I started) ... whereas with most of the other machines Im at over 80 lbs ( doing 3 sets of 12-15) and even over 100 lbs on my back stretch and leg press machine.....

I want to try Strong Lifts (starting at 45 lbs) but am worried since I cant even lift 20 lbs free weights....
    I did take a Body Pump call earlier this week and was able to lift 25 lbs on the barbell and though I struggled with the workout, I made it thru....

So, has anyone started the Strong Lifts at less than 45 lbs?? Would doing so be a waste of time?? Should I just stick to the machines for another months or so and try then?

I started doing SL with my best friend, and she could not do the bench or overhead press with the bar to begin with. She started with dumbbells, and then used a standard bar, which is typically 10-15 lbs and put light weights on it until she could work up to the Olympic bar.

My advice would be to just TRY the Oly bar, see how many reps you can do. If you find you just can't, try some alternatives, but push yourself to get to that bar.

Good luck!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options

This...you won't be doing one armed dumb bells so 45 lbs should be very do-able. I started this program with a couple of the movements at 45 lbs and moved forward pretty quickly. The hardest by far is the overhead press and I was told by some people
    on here that women typically have weaker shoulders and it is a harder movement, so for that one you may want to start lower so you don't get discouraged or hurt yourself.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I've not done it, but from a general perspective, just start at a weight that's right for you. No point delaying, as the sooner you start, the sooner you will get stronger.

If it's lighter than a 20kg Olympic bar, that's fine, the absolute amount of weight you lift is pretty irrelevant at the moment, as long as you make progression and get stronger.

Agreed.

Do what's heavy for you and constantly try to improve.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

This...you won't be doing one armed dumb bells so 45 lbs should be very do-able. I started this program with a couple of the movements at 45 lbs and moved forward pretty quickly. The hardest by far is the overhead press and I was told by some people
    on here that women typically have weaker shoulders and it is a harder movement, so for that one you may want to start lower so you don't get discouraged or hurt yourself.

^ This. I just started SL5x5 on Monday. The hardest move for me was the overhead press; I barely managed to use the barbell. Using free weights and using the machines are very different. In my opinion you won't see the gains that you want on the machines.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

I started doing SL with my best friend, and she could not do the bench or overhead press with the bar to begin with. She started with dumbbells, and then used a standard bar, which is typically 10-15 lbs and put light weights on it until she could work up to the Olympic bar.

My advice would be to just TRY the Oly bar, see how many reps you can do. If you find you just can't, try some alternatives, but push yourself to get to that bar.

Good luck!

this
    I have started with non standard bar, that is 10 kg (22 lbs) for OHP, and before Stronglifts I was doing squats and deads with dumbbells for few months. I think first time I squated it was 15 kg (33 lbs...)
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I am 54 and started Stronglifts on 10-17-12. I have never lifted before in my life. I started with about 25 pounds. I am up to 55 pounds on most lifts. I have back tracked to improve form and deload. My awesome lifting friends have guided me through this first 12 weeks and I feel awesome. I increase my weights as I go up on reps above 5. Start where you are! You are only competing against your last lift. I've never used the machines at the gym, but know that compound lifts are totally reshaping my body!
  • Guardien
    Guardien Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The only thing that matters as far as what your starting weight is, is that it will only be a start. There is only moving up from starting weights. However, make sure you have a solid base with free weights before starting a program like the 5X5. My opinion is to spend AT LEAST a month with free weights doing a plan more like 4 sets: 1X12 reps, 1X10, 1X8, and 1X6. That gives you some endurance, some hypertrophy, and some strength before moving on to almost pure strength in 5X5.
  • sugarkane1234
    sugarkane1234 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just did my second workout of the StrongLifts 5X5 program last night, so I've now done all of the exercises at the starting weights. I consider myself a reasonably strong woman, but I couldn't complete 5X5 of the Barbell Row with 45 lbs (at least not with good form). I'll probably try 40lbs next time I do the rows. The overhead press was tough, but I got it done. The rest were very doable, tough I felt the squats for a couple days afterwards. :) I would recommend just trying the workouts as outlined at least one time. You might surprise yourself! If it turns out that you do need to start lower, then adjust your weights downward. I bet you'll be back up to the starting weights in no time. Good luck!!!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you have to do to challenge and motivate yourself. If that means starting lower, then that's what you should do.

I believe you will progress quickly, a lot of times it's just a matter of learning the movement and feeling comfy. With proper form you will be more efficient and be able to move more weight. The men's Oly bar is 45, so what about starting with a women's bar? It's 35. If that doesn't work then start with whatever you need to, just keep going.

The only thing that would be a waste of time: doing nothing
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Yes I've done it. For the overhead press I started with a 30lb barbell. And for the rows it tells you to start at 65 but I started with 45. Just do what you need to do, you'll see improvement. Stronglifts is a great program :)
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Agreed.

Do what's heavy for you and constantly try to improve.

^ This

I started Stronglifts 5x5 on Monday and although I have been able to start at 45lbs for everything else I had to go to a weighted barbell at 38.5lb (17.5kg) for my overhead press because the 45lbs was simply too heavy for me. Give it a couple of weeks and I will be OHP'ing 45lbs + :smile:
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Like so many others I struggled with OHP when I started. I mean I really struggled with just the Olympic bar. Now im at 65 lbs. you will progress fast I promise! Lower weight and better form will help prevent injury. When you do move on to the Olympic bar consider investing in fractional plates. You can move up in much smaller increments which I find helpful for upper body work.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OHP and benches tend to be my weakest because i have a shoulder issues caused by an old injury.

what i did was start with one of the preloaded barbells in the gym since they start as low as 20 pounds.