Newbie tackling the Muffin Top

Options
Hello All :)

I started my fitness regime on 1st January 2013; I am getting married on Saturday 7th September 2013 and although I am a Size 8-10, I am not toned in the slightest and would like to be free of my muffin top on my tum and tone up my back, shoulders & arms in prep for my strapless wedding dress and honeymoon in Mexico! I am not bikini confident yet...

I am working out 5-6 days per week, always having a break on a Sunday. I do 30-60 minutes of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) ~ either Cardio or Toning ~ every evening followed by a strength routine of 50 Jumping Jacks, 5 Push Ups (which I am rubbish at), 20 Abdominal Crunches, 20 Mountain Climbers & a 30 second plank.

I have lost 1lb so far (now weighing in at 107lbs); would like to lose a little bit more but my main focus is to tone up. I have lost 1inch off my hips already, which I am really pleased about!

I have started a photo diary so I can track the shape of my body, the changes (hopefully) as I get more toned etc.

Happy Fitness xxx

Replies

• kikilita
    kikilita Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Oh, that's AWESOME!! I understand, I hate the my muffin top. I Think you'll definitely be good to go by your wedding day!! No doubt!!
  • NatashaB8
    NatashaB8 Posts: 202
    Options
    Good luck, you are giving yourself plenty of time which is great :)

I too have a muffin top but I have been lifting weights for around 7 weeks and have already noticed a big difference.

Welcome!
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would recommend Jillian Michael's Body Revolution. You can buy it on Amazon for about $100 and will need 3,5, and 8 lb weights. It should come with a resistance cable. It is 35 minutes per day with Sundays off. It's a 3 month program. You will not only be able to do regular military style push ups, but crazy stuff like push ups with one leg up, crow push ups where you bring your leg up to your chest while lowering to the floor and push ups mixed with jumping jacks. It is challenging but you will be amazed what you can do. Jillian provides the perfect guidance through the routines which increase in intensity and difficulty every two week. Good luck!
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I have Jillian michaels no more troulbe zones, I havent dont it yet as im doing the 30DS but It targets the muffin top, you can look it up on youtube for free yay
  • hollywoy
    Options
    Thanks guys :) Yes I am hoping that 8 months is long enough to get in shape!

I have got some weights but my upper body strength is shocking (hence the inability to complete 5 Press Ups without falling on my face...) haha!

I am starting Personal Training Sessions with my Bestie on 19th January, an hour a week on a Saturday morning - so in addition to my HIIT in the week hopefully it will help build up my core & upper body strength so I can get on the weights in the next month or so.

xxxx
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    The only recommendation I can give is to do strength before cardio. However, I am sure your PT will have better suggestions than me!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Great motivation and plan!!

Congrats on the engagement!

For 'toning' back,arm,shoulder work up to more push ups, longer planks, add some seated dips, and switch to weights in month or so.

I find side planks (with hip dips) and Russian twists have helped my waist/abs(muffin top area) look better
  • hollywoy
    Options
    The only recommendation I can give is to do strength before cardio. However, I am sure your PT will have better suggestions than me!

100% right; I didn't write it properly ~ I usually do the Jumping Jacks etc before my shower in the morning and then I do the HIIT Cardio of an evening :) I am too puffed out for strength exercise post Cardio ;)

xx
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    shoulders/arms: I HATED them but they really did work well - simple dumbbells (start with 2 lb in each hand and see how well you do) lift from shoulder height to straight up. 3 sets, 15-20 reps per set. In the beginning I'd get wobbly already at the 6th rep of the first set (ack!) but I think more than anything else, those have helped my boobs to remain relatively perky as I've lost the weight.

stomach and back: planks are good. an excercise ball is better;) Burpees are horribly difficult but really rewarding.

legs: squats and lunges are the best. to make them more difficult you can try with a step, with varying dumbbells or excercise balls... lunges are also good for your core strength and balance.
  • hollywoy
    Options
    shoulders/arms: I HATED them but they really did work well - simple dumbbells (start with 2 lb in each hand and see how well you do) lift from shoulder height to straight up. 3 sets, 15-20 reps per set. In the beginning I'd get wobbly already at the 6th rep of the first set (ack!) but I think more than anything else, those have helped my boobs to remain relatively perky as I've lost the weight.

stomach and back: planks are good. an excercise ball is better;) Burpees are horribly difficult but really rewarding.

legs: squats and lunges are the best. to make them more difficult you can try with a step, with varying dumbbells or excercise balls... lunges are also good for your core strength and balance.

Thank you lovely; well done on the weight loss! It's so nice to share the journey and get hints & tips from more experienced people!

xx
  • em3120
    em3120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend Jillian Michael's DVDs. Have you ever done Pop Pilates with Cassey Ho on youtube? I love her videos so much! She has quite a few videos to target your muffin top and obliques. She is seriously the best fitness guru on youtube because she is so energetic and motivational!
  • hollywoy
    Options
    I would also recommend Jillian Michael's DVDs. Have you ever done Pop Pilates with Cassey Ho on youtube? I love her videos so much! She has quite a few videos to target your muffin top and obliques. She is seriously the best fitness guru on youtube because she is so energetic and motivational!

I haven't... I also hadn't heard of Jillian Michael (I'm from the UK) but I have done a little google on her and I can get her 30 Day Shred DVD for £8 from Amazon so I may order that at the end of the month.

I am currently doing Davina McCall's Intense DVD that came out last week; it's all HIIT and really hard work but I do feel better after working out as I really feel like I have worked!

I will YouTube Cassey Ho tonight.

Thanks all xxx
  • carolynb57
    Options
    Im not a young chic which makes it a little harder to lose belly fat , but I have cut out a lot of the bad carbs and sugar, and my middle has went down so much, I just bought the ab flex machine , Lisa Rinnan uses it and so does Denise Austin, havent used it to many times just got it, will let you know how it works, Congrats to you!!!!
  • hollywoy
    Options
    Im not a young chic which makes it a little harder to lose belly fat , but I have cut out a lot of the bad carbs and sugar, and my middle has went down so much, I just bought the ab flex machine , Lisa Rinnan uses it and so does Denise Austin, havent used it to many times just got it, will let you know how it works, Congrats to you!!!!

Good luck to you lovely; hope it does the trick :) Thanks for the congrats; am very excited xx