Off to a bad start...

Options
So the New Year rang in and for a week I was so pumped and motivated for MFP and starting my workout.

Then....last weekend got hit with bad news; father in law diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer. While this has caused great strife for the family, I completely lost focus and found myself losing 4 lbs but due to not really eating. I had no urge or motivation to even go to the gym. In fact, I haven't really worked that much this week dealing with this and spending time at the hospital.

That being said, dealing with this has opened my eyes to health and nutrition. It's so important to keep healthy so I don't get sick and can be there for my family. If that isn't motivation enough for me, I don't know what is!

So why do I still feel so un-motivated? How do I kickstart back to being "Me"?

Replies

• arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you got into a slight depression. Basically you need to get the will power to do it. Just start easy. Go for a 30 minute walk every day and don't log so strict just stay to your calorie goal and slowly work in macro's. Just take baby steps and you'll get back on your way.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    It's tough and very easy to lose focus when you are going through this. I have told you about my dad and for about 2 months I did the same thing and it was so hard to: get back to not feeling selfish when I took time for me. However, even 30 min of something will help clear your mind or give you time to just breathe so start small and then as you start seeing benefits you can take a little longer. Hang in there. You are in a really tough situation :(
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Make sure to take time for yourself. Go for a walk or a run and try to clear your head. You can do this!
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I am going to start doing just that; take more time for myself, even if it's just a 30 minute walk.

I have a husband to be strong for and a little girl to be there for as well. Time's are tough but have to be positive looking ahead.
  • TONEDSTEF
    TONEDSTEF Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    girl...you are going through a lot right now. it's great that your eyes have been opened a bit to the situation and to your health. that's one good thing that has come out of his diagnosis. but you are being too hard on yourself and i know i would probably be thinking like you too. but just try to carve in some "you time". like if you're at the hospital and need a break...go for a walk. if you are still able to focus on good nutrition that's a plus, but if not that is ok too. there will be a time when you can get it all back together. you are in my thoughts every day. keep your head up!
  • slboling
    slboling Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Prayers for you and your family. This is not easy. The coming days and months will still have stress as the family deals with this. But, we must still take care of ourselves. Use the workout time for yourself to process all that is happening. Use it to release the hurt for what is happening. But, take time to enjoy family and all that they mean. Again, prayers for each of you.