My Scale Is Not My Friend Today

Options
Sooooooo... I know that I've gotten smaller since my last weigh in... I can see it in how my clothes fit and I can feel it. Why is my scale playing with me this morning?!?!?!?!? It's telling me that I've gained 2 lbs. Or maybe I'm gaining muscle (crossing my fingers, toes, eyes, legs and anything else that can crossed that this is the reason for the gain). In the last 3 weeks, I've ramped up my workouts but haven't really changed my diet in terms of adding anything new or taking away anything. I really wanted to have these last 3 lbs gone by tomorrow (1/12/03). Maybe I'm being unrealistic about this??? I guess it's because since I started back in late Nov, my weight loss has been pretty consistent with an average of 3-4 lbs a week. I'm kind of scared that I've hit that plateau that I always hear about where your body just won't shed those few pounds that you need. Although, I do feel a little bloated, maybe my aunt flo is coming to visit? Hmmm... sorry, I know that was TMI, but, just thinking out loud. Anyone have any advice how to kick this thang back into gear?

Replies

• cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Sooooooo... I know that I've gotten smaller since my last weigh in...
    /end thread
    Seriously. Your "ideal weight" may not be ideal. You said you only have 3 pounds to lose? Throw that scale away and focus on what you see in the mirror.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You can't expect to lose 3-4 pounds a week for long. It's actually not a healthy rate, unless you are at 300+ pounds. A healthy rate of loss is actually about 1% of your current weight, so (going from your ticker) that would be slightly over 2 pounds a week.

That said, those 2 extra pounds could very easily be bloating from TOM, water weight if you ate something heavy in sodium recently, or it could be your muscles holding on to water. They tend to do that when you start a new routine. Drink a lot of water and keep doing what you know you should, it'll go away.

One bad weigh in is not a plateau. If you hit 4-5 weeks of it not moving at all, then you might be. Just wondering, why is it so important to be a few pounds lighter on the scale by tomorrow?
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. You will NOT lose 3-4 pounds every week especially as you get smaller.
  • SE_Adams
    Options
    Don't concentrate so much on the number showing on scale. How do you feel?
  • candykoated
    candykoated Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, why is it so important to be a few pounds lighter on the scale by tomorrow?

Oh it's nothing major... just one of those mental things for me. lol...
  • candykoated
    candykoated Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Please do not misunderstand what I am saying; I'm not saying that 3-4 is expected every week... I know that's not realistic as I continue to lose weight, and 3 more lbs isn't my ultimate goal. All I'm saying is that I haven't lost more than 1 lb in the last two weeks, and was simply asking if anyone could suggest ways in which I could get over this hump?
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Please do not misunderstand what I am saying; I'm not saying that 3-4 is expected every week... I know that's not realistic as I continue to lose weight, and 3 more lbs isn't my ultimate goal. All I'm saying is that I haven't lost more than 1 lb in the last two weeks, and was simply asking if anyone could suggest ways in which I could get over this hump?

Just keep at it. Try to look at the bigger picture. You are going to have days where there is nothing, days where there is a gain and days where there is a loss. But if you are doing things right ultimately you will lose more than you gain. Maybe try to force yourself to not weigh in so often. Take the scale and hide it in the closet. Get it out once a week or once every two weeks.
    There are some people who have been struggling for months without a loss. I personally sometimes go as long as two months before I show a loss. So you should be happy not to be in that boat! :laugh:
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Stop focusing on the scale. It will drive you insane. Instead weigh yourself very rarely and be much much happier!
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    You said you're working out more, your muscles are probably bigger and holding on to water. You could very well see a reduction in weight just by doing stretching today and nothing else but giving them a rest to recover.