Hard to reach your calorie intake?

Options
Hi all, :)

I'm sort of new...I know I know...I didn't introduce myself (bad me!) but I'm sure I can be forgiven this time. I'll do it real quick right here. I'm Kerrie. :) 32 yrs old, and mother of an 11 yr old daughter and 2 yr old son. I am a military wife currently stationed in Fort Eustis, Virginia. I have ALWAYS had to struggle with my weight but was also a smoker since I was a teenager. Last year, my husband and I both quit...he put on a few pounds...I put on 50. Therefore, after already being heavy...I was at my lifelong heaviest. I don't expect to ever see a "normal" weight...but I would like to see 160ish again. :) I started this journey at a nice hefty 249.

ALRIGHT! Now, the actual point of this post :)....

Sometimes I have trouble meeting my minimum calories for the day. Like, I sometimes look at my goals at the end of the day and think to myself "I simply can not eat anything else!" and still have 400 to spare! I obviously dont want the rebound affect after losing too fast, but I don't want to try to shove another 400 calories in myself if I'm not hungry. Anybody else able to relate?

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Fill out your food journal for the day in the morning before you eat anything. Balance your calories between your 3 meals and add a snack if you're still not hitting your goals. It's better to eat a large breakfast or lunch than a large dinner. You may have to make some higher calorie choices if you're still not meeting your goals. Peanut butter toast and milk add quite a few calories if you're lacking. I usually have more trouble staying under because I try to get my two servings of dairy and at least one serving of fruit into my day. Play with the numbers a few times until you can come up with an eating plan you can be comfortable with.
  • amarti24
    amarti24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As my training for my triathlon increases the more calories I need to eat and I find myself having a hard time filling them in as well. My plan is to find healthy foods that are higher in calories. That way I can eat the same but raise my calorie count. If you go to allrecipes.com they have a healthy section and you can get recipes based on a number of things including how many calories you'd like per meal.
  • rlinson
    rlinson Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I can relate - especially on days that I work out - sometimes it can be 700 or 800 calories. I let my body be my guide. If I am not feeling hungry, I don't worry about it. If I do, then I eat something. It is a great feeling to know I can eat something if I need to and not worry about it too much.
  • khubbard1207
    khubbard1207 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem at first but, unfortunately, that is no longer a problem. I don't know what happened but now I struggle to stay under the calorie goal. I think one thing is that i've slowly gotten back to eating out. I need to look back at what I ate when I started and get back on track. I've been on a plateau for at least a month now. Just cant seem to get under 155. I hate plateaus.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    Some days it's easy for me to make my calorie goal and some days it's hard. I try and get two good meals in during the day that use up more calories than my dinner to keep up my metabolism. I'm a PM exerciser and I usually find that I'm not even hungry after a work out so I have to make myself eat a little something - usually chocolate milk and piece of whole grain toast or a protein shake.

I think kwardklinck and rlinson are right. Planning and listening to your body are good ways to help yourself.
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yeah what they said - don't force yourself to eat just for the sake of meeting a certain calorie goal if you aren't hungry.
  • sblim
    sblim Posts: 99
    Options
    Here are a few suggestions I've read on this board to get those extra calories you need them:

- Peanut butter
    - Smoothie
    - Meal replacement shake