SAHM 4/19 - 4/25

Options
We are a group of FABULOUS sahm's who are committed to our good health goals. We are informal but do challenge each other too. and we totally get the unique roles we play and the struggles that follow in trying to get fit and take care of our families and homes. :) come join the conversation at any time. we welcome newcomers!

Replies

• blessdmomof4
    Options
    Hello ladies,
    How wonderful that we have all developed such active lifestyles that we're out enjoying the warmer weather!
    Val- congrats a big loss and meeting your goal before the cruise. Have a great time!
    Trish - glad the stiches are out, I hope the sinus funk has dissipated quickly...
    Sassy - my kids are garbage disposals too. Lately we have been discussing the difference between "I'm hungry" and "I feel like eating" It's a good lesson for me too!
    Stacey- I've been thinking about saving up for a trip to Vegas to see my cousin when I meet my goal, we'll have to meet up if I make it out! How did looking for rentals go?

I hope everyone is doing good. I hit the big 25 loss! It was one of the best weeks I've had in a while for losing. I think it was choosing to make everyday like the one that said I would be almost 165 in 5 weeks...I worked out super hard, burned lots of cals each day and stayed way under them. I also started taking green tea triple fat burners and I can tell they are helping me along. It seems so much harder to get through the 2nd 1/2 of my goal. I'm learning to be patient and I'm OK w/ the fact that it might take longer than the 1st 20 did. 25 lbs in 90 days is awesome. In another 90 I could be below my goal!

Originally I wanted to be 175 by the time I leave on my retreat one week from today...I'm going to work really hard for that. I have a full 5 lbs to lose in one week but crazier things have happened :wink:

Here's a cute conversation I had w/ my 5 yo the other day. He was on the phone w/ my sister and had just handed the phone to me but my sister had hung up.
    Me- She must have hung up
    Ian - she must not have wanted to talk to you not-fat.
    Me- What?!
    Ian - I called you NOT-fat. That's a nice name, not a mean one, cuz you're not fat anymore so I'm going to call you notfat.
    Me- *laughing to hard to reply*:laugh:

Enjoy your Monday everyone! Make it a great one!
    Melissa
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to reiterate how proud I am that you made that choice to make every day as fabulous as that one day, Melissa! You can already see the tremendous pay off.

Sinus funk is better today, but Grace has it now too. I was supposed to run today, but I'm just going to take the day to get whatever the heck is in my system completely out. Hubby said we can go for a walk tonight, so I won't be on my tuckus ALL day. Will take Grace outside for sidewalk chalk time too. It's supposed to be in the 70s today. Fresh air will do us good.

Raviolis for dinner. Trying to find an excuse to go shopping or something. Failing.
  • michfitzhome
    michfitzhome Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Trish congrats on 50. My husband is working nights this week, so it has been a rough week. he dd notsee the kids all week, so i am tired and house is a mess and i am too tired to do anything but sit here on the laptop. hopefully will make gym tonight, i do not know i am kind of tired and may take a break. doing better on eating today, actually throw cookies away at food store that the kids did not eat instead of eating myself!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Good job, Michelle. Throwing food out is one of my biggest challenges. I hate wasting food, but if it hands around I will eat it and defeat myself.

I dunno if it will encourage you at all, but a good workout always energizes me. Try to make the gym, I bet it will help with your energy levels :)
  • sassydot
    sassydot Posts: 141
    Options
    My MIL is a fantastic one for "oh don't waste that!" *munch munch munch*
    I always point out to her, that eating it when you don't need it, IS ALSO wasting it So if it can't be saved for the next day, throwing it out is the better option.

Well, I'm still 2kg heavier than I was in September, but must be doing something right cos I have a smaller waist by 4cm than then, and hips by 2cm.
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Trish- I hope you feel better, and yes! enjoy that wonderful weather!!!! How is your running going?

Meilssa- way to go on being "not-fat" anymore!:laugh: :flowerforyou: Out of the mouths of babes!

Sassy- yay to you on losing those cm's!

Michelle- It is tough throwing out stuff, but to save myself the anguish later, I do it!

We had a gorgeous weekend this past weekend, and we got our little ladies( the peeps or young chicks) in their coop yesterday, finally!!! they love it!now we just have to get our fencing done so they can roam outside when they are a little bigger. They will be free range too, but we need to keep them confined if we aren't going to be home.
    My 1/2 marathon is in 2 weeks, and I am a little nervous. I hope I am trained enough!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Still running, Nicole. It's just been tough lately between illness, injury, and the like. I'm on Fast Running Blog if you ever want to track my progress :)
    http://roadtoboston.fastrunningblog.com/
  • dolphin7
    dolphin7 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! Sunday and yesterday were not such great days for me, I came down with a nasty stomach bug, good thing it was only about 24 hours in length, I'm feeling better today, I just hope the rest of the fam doesn't get it.

So I did nothing yesterday but laid on the couch and went to bed early. Today is our last day of nice weather, 75º, then a nasty cold storm is coming through, so since I feel better I may try and get the yard mowed, and the garden weeded, its getting close to planting seeds.

And looks like my transcription work is going to be busy this week working on a special project, interviews, ugh, they are usually long, and not very interesting, so we'll see how it goes. The extra moola is nice, but the time it takes, not so much.

Hope everyone has a great day!!!!
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    miss a day, miss a lot. :)

dd1 is home these next 2 weeks for track break.

will read and catch up later.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Sorry I've been MIA. This weekend was the Boom Symposium, basically an excuse to party all weekend LOL I was bad, very very bad, but had so much fun! I don't think I've behaved like that in YEARS ;) I know I'll have a + on that scale tomorrow.

Nicole ~ You are so gonna rock your 1/2!! Is it on May 2nd?? That's when my 12k is too! I'll be thinkin of you during my run...might be just the motivation I need!!

I got in an 8.8mile run yesterday, super exciting since I took an entire week off of exercise LOL

Not much else happening, trying to finish all the little things in each room, maybe one of these days a room will be COMPLETELY done...wishful thinking?? ;)
  • staceyw37
    Options
    ok, finished rdg. hope i don't forget anyone!

katie--what a beautiful new picture! i actually gasped when i saw it!
    trish--sorry you and grace keep getting clogged up. allergies have been horrendous this year. do you do regular nasal washes? or at least saline daily? if not, that may be worthwhile adding to your health regimen.
    and 50#! congrats!!

melissa--too funny what your son said. and 25# in 90d is VERY impressive to me. the most i got to was 12# in 7+months. clearly i need to try your strategy!
    in fact, that was something i was thinking this am. i hate the muffin top that pushes my shorts down, but i will eat the Cookies?! i have to accept/recognize that to truly lose the wt and be happier in my body, i have to learn to resist/reduce the temptations.
    i made a yummy s'mores treat for the kids last night (special activity for dd1 who ATE her dinner!). i know it was yummy cuz i sampled some. but after thinking this am--i'm done. there isn't much left and it's really for them.
    and this time i mean it. every time i don't give in to the temptations around me, i will be letting y'all know. i hate the accountability but i also need it.

today's goals--drink 50oz water
    NO cookie crap
    keep to 1500 cal

dolphin--sorry you were feeling so sick. stomach stuff is the worst, imho.

sassy--congrats on losing cm--that definitely counts! reshaping your body is awesome!
    and nicole, i like how you put it--to save yourself the anguish later--that is exactly it.

i finished a little fleece blanket with a couple tags added to it for son. he liked it a lot. i also bought more fabric online. yes, i am INSANE. i love the whole new collection of fabric i have to work with. now i just have to settle on a project. purse? table runner? quilt?

melissa, you asked how rental searching went. GOOD! found 2 possibilities. the first one dsn't want to sign and do our requests (paint, clean carpets, and CLEAN--no more stuck on food on the cabinets-yuk!) this far out. we're talking to the second one--which is smaller but more move in ready. so we'll see.

today is cleaning and laundry day. dd1 and ds are being recruited to help. :) later chicas--:flowerforyou:
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Stacey, thanks for the tip. How does one go about a saline wash? I need to do SOMETHING about all these sniffles. It's ridiculous. I blame the Devil. He doesn't want me to succeed and be happy :-P

Katie you look AMAZING! I love the new pic.

For you runners, what's the difference between racing speed and training speed? How am I supposed to sustain a racing speed if I don't train at it? I'm going further, faster, but it's wiping me out. I was nervous driving to Jazz's house after my run today. My body is doing the low sugar thing (even though sugar is ok). Everything is neon bright, and I'm not entirely coherent. I don't feel right. I just want to run 3 miles in 30 mins! It seems I, once again, have a case of wanting to do what my body's not ready for.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Aww, thanks girls you're too sweet! :)

Trish ~ I don't know what the difference is! I just run and let my body tell me how fast I can go. Sometimes I'll do interval training to help increase my speed...

Stacey ~ Congrats on finishing a project, I'm terrible at that! My vote is a purse, a woman can never have too many ;) My mom just made me one and I'm in love, I want 50 just like it in different colors LOL

I have also found 2 rental possibilities! One I'm absolutely in love with and should hear back this afternoon if we get a chance at it. I'm praying we do, it will be so perfect! I'm a little worried about signing a contract wihtout ever seeing it though (other than pictures) but I LOVE it! LOL

Here are some bathroom pics, apparently I'm bad at the befores, so this is what you get. Try you hardest to ignore the freakin adorable little boy in the picture ;)

These two are to just show the wood trim and the ugly white tile/carpet combo in the bathroom:
    DSC00742.jpg
    DSC00733.jpg

finished product (almost, need to put in the new white paneled doors):
    DSC_3547-1.jpg
    DSC_3545.jpg

What we did: replaced all brass fixtures (faucets, tub fixtures, etc) and door pulls and hollywood lights. Took down shower door and replaced with curtain, took out carpet and tile, replaced with new tile, painted trim and walls. I love it! Too bad we don't get to enjoy it longer :(
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Katie- I am going to be racing the same day as you!!! I will definitely be thinking of you! I love the bathroom and the little boy!:flowerforyou:
    Trish- training speed and race speed are 2 different things. If you constantly run the same speed you will actually get slower not faster. Even though it feels like you should run as fast as you can all of the time. The best way to find out your different paces is preferrably go to a track and run a mile as fast as you can. (make sure you warm up first) After you do that then it is easier to find out your different paces. There can be more than this depending on how much you want to be into it, but basically there are 3 levels you should be training at. LSD(Long Slow Distance) pace, Interval pace, and Tempo. LSD should be just that. Long and slow so that you can hold a conversation. It may feel like you are not doing anything, but trust me, you are!!! The whole point of that is for the endurance. You want to be able to sustain a pace for a long period of time. Intervals are where you get faster. You do an easy warm=up until the muscles are warm, and then you do repeats of sprints to make yourself faster. than you do an easy warm-down. The intervals are dependent upon the length of the race you are training for. The intervals are basically race pace. Tempo is about 75-85% of your race pace. So, uncomfortable, but not unbearable. This also has a warm-up and down phase. I hope that makes sense.

As for how you were feeling after you ran, that is a start of what is called a bonk. Not a pleasant place to be. I don't know how soon you eat after you run, but it's good to eat within a1/2 hour of your run. doesn't have to be big, just something wit hsome carbs in it so that you don't feel like that.

Stacey- I vote on the purse too!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Nicole, I had a Larabar in the car that I tore into when I got done with the run. I ate half of it. I would have had more, but I had 1/2 of another Larabar prior to my run, and was out of cals. I wasn't able to sit down and eat a meal for another hour. I try to eat really well before I run to sustain the 30 min effort. I think my running is a cross between tempo & interval, at least that's what it feels like from what you describe.
    I wonder if I'm more prone to "bonks" as a diabetic? Something to ask my doctor when I see her in 2 weeks!

katie, great bathroom! Isn't it nice to have healthy, beautiful flooring? :)
  • curliegirl
    curliegirl Posts: 191
    Options
    Hey ladies! Just a quick check in. We left town this morning & made it to Dayton, OH today. VERY long day in the car and my hips are killing me from sitting so long. I even walked around on our potty breaks. Tomorrow only 5 hours & then we will be in Pittsburgh!!!

Did pretty good on food today but blew it at supper. I couldn't resist the shake at Steak and Shake. Oh well that is my dessert for the week. Tomorrow who knows how it will go because I don't know where the group is stopping. I will just make the best possible choice available & go from there.

Hope you all have a fabulous week--won't be around much but I am still trying to log my food.

Kim
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Trish- I would definitely think that you are more prone to bonking. I used to know a runner that was diabetic and he had to really be careful with his food intake.
  • staceyw37
    Options
    purse 2
    any other votes?
    i did just get an adorable pattern for one. now i have to figure it out and slot the time. :)
    you can google june bag--and it'll come up on an etsy site.

trish--saline wash can be messy so do over kitchen sink. use NON iodized salt. use baby bulb syringe.
    warm water in glass with some salt. stir/dissolve. pull water up into bulb syringe, and squirt up into your nose. be over the sink so it can run out. (yuk, i know). do to each nostril a few times. spill out and do it again in the evening.
    best to do 2x/day.
    OR buy a netty pot at the pharmacy.
    most important point--NON iodine salt!!

it doesn't cure anything but the consistent flushing is good for your sinuses. link to info
    http://www.nationaljewish.org/healthinfo/medications/lung-diseases/alternative/nasal-wash-treatment.aspx

i used to work there. it's a leading pulmonary institution.

hth.

met 2 goals: cals and water.
    now i should go read to avoid the temptations. night girls!
  • staceyw37
    Options
    quick--low fat chocolate milk is a good after intense workout recovery drink--TRISH
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Recently discovered that they make chocolate almond milk (yum!) I got some in the fridge, mainly for Grace. I might splurge on some Over The Moon though. That stuff rocks.
    I dunno if it's considered slipping or not, but the more weight I lose, the more I find myself giving in to treats (splurged on Kashi cookies tonight, and started eating bologna sandwiches again). Is it slipping if you're getting more relaxed about what foods you eat after living an eating style religiously for a while?