80 pounds to lose quickly. Any suggestions

Options

Replies

• I lost 100lbs in a yr.

HOW? myfitnesspal and working out.

join a gym and hit up BOOTCAMP, and every single class you can. I workout 4 hrs a day. 2hrs in the morning and 2 hrs in the evening. THAT IS HOW I lost weight.

I became a fitness instructor and my workouts have went up even more. Training for a tri. I run 5 days a week, bike 6 days a week, swim 4 days a week. plus do bootcamp, zumba, weights etc. get you body moving.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I honestly believe the reason slow and steady is successful is because you give your brain time to make the lifestyle change. People that keep the weight off are successful mentally, they choose daily to make the right decisions. If you lose weight without the mental aspect healed also, most all fail. Whats the point of losing all that weight if u get to goal and start allowing yourself old indulgences that got u to that higher weight in the first place.

Time goes by like nothing, if u stick it out and get under 200, you will be alot smaller and realize there is no rush to get to goal. Learning how to MAINTAIN the loss is what is important in the long run :)

Good luck hun! Keep pushing forward and progressing everyday, u will get there!
  • ericmooney69
    Options
    Ween yourself from processed foods, particulary processed carbs (this means flour...sugar...GONE!). Eliminate or substantially reduce dairy. Learn how to eat healthy and enjoy it. If you do that you'll NEVER have to "diet" again. Patience is your friend.

I know a lot of people on MFP swear by counting calories. It is absolutely effective but it isn't for everybody. Personally, I got tired of worrying about monitoring every single thing I eat. Eventually I focused on eating stuff that I knew was very healthy, not calorie dense and I've never counted calories since. Over about 15 months, I went from 250lbs to 200lbs (I'm a 6'2" male).

If you surround yourself with the right food (REAL food), you shouldn't have to count your calories. But if you insist on being able to eat what you want but "in moderation", you sure better count every calorie. Personally, I am not a fan of the "eat what you want, in moderation" mantra. The challenge with that is that many people CANNOT do it in moderation. It is like telling a drunk, "just stop at 2 drinks"... Good luck with that. Certain foods are just downright addicting.....so STAY AWAY! Not like "stay away" permanently....just partake very rarely, enjoy it, and then get back to eating real food.

Anyway, I can go on and on about how I lost 50 pounds without dieting and doing just moderate cardio and strength training (3 days per week...30 minutes total per session). Bottom line, eat real food, you will lose weight.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Ween yourself from processed foods, particulary processed carbs (this means flour...sugar...GONE!). Eliminate or substantially reduce dairy. Learn how to eat healthy and enjoy it. If you do that you'll NEVER have to "diet" again. Patience is your friend.

I know a lot of people on MFP swear by counting calories. It is absolutely effective but it isn't for everybody. Personally, I got tired of worrying about monitoring every single thing I eat. Eventually I focused on eating stuff that I knew was very healthy, not calorie dense and I've never counted calories since. Over about 15 months, I went from 250lbs to 200lbs (I'm a 6'2" male).

If you surround yourself with the right food (REAL food), you shouldn't have to count your calories. But if you insist on being able to eat what you want but "in moderation", you sure better count every calorie. Personally, I am not a fan of the "eat what you want, in moderation" mantra. The challenge with that is that many people CANNOT do it in moderation. It is like telling a drunk, "just stop at 2 drinks"... Good luck with that. Certain foods are just downright addicting.....so STAY AWAY! Not like "stay away" permanently....just partake very rarely, enjoy it, and then get back to eating real food.

Anyway, I can go on and on about how I lost 50 pounds without dieting and doing just moderate cardio and strength training (3 days per week...30 minutes total per session). Bottom line, eat real food, you will lose weight.
    Great story! I'm glad it worked for you!

That being said, just because something works for YOU doesn't mean you should go spouting it as gospel. It may not be the way someone else is going to be successful.

That's the problem with advice. People say "do this" and "don't do that" or "eat this but not that" like it's an absolute when they should be offering "suggestions" for the person to try and find what works for them individually.

And you contradict yourself by saying " But if you insist on being able to eat what you want but "in moderation", you sure better count every calorie." Then saying " Not like "stay away" permanently....just partake very rarely, enjoy it, and then get back to eating real food."

I'm not even going to touch your "eliminate dairy" comment......
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I know it isn't always a popular suggestion, but I recommend weight loss surgery. I had a VSG (vertical sleeve gastrectomy) done on 4/4/12 & have lost 86 lbs. I was 251.5 lbs on surgery day at 5' 2.5". I still probably have about 30 lbs. to go but I feel for the first time in a very long while that I will reach my goal & stay there. For me, it wasn't a terribly fast process--I had to meet with the nutritionist for 6 months prior to being able to have the surgery, but that was a good opportunity to examine why I had gained so much weight & commit to changing my life. Once I had the surgery, the weight came off very fast & I feel so much better. Now I can walk without pain, bend down to fold laundry or load the dishwasher without killing my back, run up the stairs, etc. It's great! Surgery is not the "easy" way. I have totally changed how I eat--very low carbs, lots of protein, lots of water. I know that many will say that I could have done that without surgery, but for me, having such a huge amount of weight to lose was overwhelming & I could never see the end of it. I was always dieting & hungry. I would lose weight, get fed up with being starving & go way off plan. Surgery has completely solved my hunger issues--I eat a very small meal & feel satisfied with it. Whatever way you choose, weight loss is a very personal issue--not every way is going to work for every person. It all does start with commitment. Good luck!
  • KetsyBaby
    KetsyBaby Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The fastest I ever lost weight was 50 pounds in 2 months. I was focused on a goal for my sisters wedding. I went from 252 to 202 pounds by eating six small mostly vegetarian meals a day including two meals of a diet "shake" (1,200 calories or less per day), and working out 2 hours every single day. I would do cardio and weights one day, and swim and yoga the next. I wanted to fit into this gorgeous dress I had ordered in several sizes too small (the largest it came in) and that was as far as my thinking went. All this while working 12 hours day and night shifts as a nurse.
    By the end I was exhausted, had learned nothing about real eating, and I was grumpy a lot of the time. Yes I lost it, yes the dress fit, but the day after the wedding it was game over diet and game on enjoying all the things I denied myself. I stopped exercising, I ate real food and fast food, and within a month most of the weight was back.
    Did I learn anything? Just that I could deny myself real food for 2 months and then fall right off that horse. It was largely water I lost, didn't want to work that hard for something so temporary, and in the end it was not something I could do forever.
    Would I do it again, NEVER. I am bigger now than I have ever been.
    I want a lifestyle, not a fast fix for a few months, and it hurt me more to do it wrong then it will to do it right. Please reconsider your goal and adjust your expectations, you will have more success if you do.
    Losing 1-2 pounds a week maximum is a great side effect of a healthful complete diet and exercise plan/lifestyle change, and you may lose more at first, which is a bonus and a real boost of motivation. But don't set yourself up for failure by planning on losing a specific number by a specific date, your body doesn't work like that.
    All the best of luck to you, I hope you find health in whichever road you choose to follow.
    ~ Ketsy :heart:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i started off with 80 pounds to lose. trust me OP, no one gets to 80 pounds to lose without some sort of emotional and/or physical issues and baggage to deal with. plus there needs to be a complete over haul of lifestyle.

as you can tell by my ticker, i've been here for about a year and have *only* lost 20 pounds. i spent the past year not necessarily worrying about losing weight but dealing with all the issues that contributed to me gaining weight : lack of portion control, laziness in terms of meal planning, too many late nights out involving alcohol and bar food, etc. i know some one else who also had a large amount of weight to lose.she lost it quickly (like 5 months) via starvation and working out 3-4 hours a day. but since she didnt work on the issues the made her obese in the first place, she's spent the past 7-8 months putting all that weight back on again and then a little more.

so my advice is to go with slow and steady. better it take you 2 years to take the weight off and KEEP it off for good because you're correcting bad habits than to do it quickly and then regain it all back and set yourself up for yo-yo ing. from what i understand, every time you do that it makes it harder to lose weight the next time which means even more drastic measures needing to be taken

good luck whatever you decide :smile:

ETA : my friend who lost the weight quickly also ended up with stomach issues, hair loss and she looked like she aged 10 years. all of that to lose weight quickly and then turn around and regain the weight and then some...
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'm currently weighing in at 248 and would like to lose about 80 pounds. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can lose the weight, preferably quickly? I know that slow and steady wins the race but I don't want to lose my motivation with slow weight loss and stay at this weight for another year.

The fastest way to lose weight (and keep it off) is to quit trying to lose weight quickly, and focus on long-term sustainable changes you can make.

Losing weight quickly is easy, just stop eating. Keeping it off is the hard part, and for that you need to work on lifestyle changes, which takes time.

There's no secret to weight loss. Eat less than you burn. Ideally you want to be getting sufficient nutritional content as well and engage in some kind of resistance and cardio exercise, but both of those are simple to implement (simple, not necessarily easy).

If you want a starting point, read:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-2.html

And fill in your info for what you need nutritionally, use that as a baseline and adjust from there (making sure your calorie counts are as accurate as possible).

Then pick up a resistance protocol. New Rules of Lifting for Women I hear is quite good, but anything where you are progressively lifting heavier stuff.

Finally, do some kind of cardio. Doesn't have to be a marathon, even just walking 2 or 3 times a week. It's good for you.

And...that's it. Well, that's kind of it. You have to stick with it forever.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    80lbs in a year isn't fast or unhealthy. Set the mfp goal to 2lbs per week which would be 40 weeks for about 80lbs. We all know it isn't always that smooth but you have another 10 weeks for leeway. celebrate your victories, any weight loss is great so in July if you have lost 20lbs instead if 40, celebrate the 20 and go on, do not even think about being unhappy about it.
    Stick to your calories and exercise, if at 2lbs per week i would eat back some or most if strenuous exercise. I also find it helpful to calculate your current tdee so on days you fall off track you know that if at or under tdee you haven't really set yourself back and even if over you know how bad it is.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    also as an FYI i started off at 224, and even though i've only lost 21 pounds, i've lost 5 pant sizes, half a shoe size, 5" off my waist and 3" from each thigh.

low impact cardio is good but also add in strength training since that really helps with your body recomposition. that way you'll and up looking like you've lost more weight than you actually have.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Last January 1st I weighed 241 pounds. I went to a patriots game and our seats were in the 400 section of Gillette which is like the 3rd balcony.

Even getting to my seat was an ORDEAL. Seriously, I don't know how I didn't drop dead and we missed the first 10 minutes (off the game clock) of the first quarter because it took me so fricken long to get up there.

I made a change, decided that I would give myself 15 months to get down to 141lbs and would settle for it taking 17 months.

I started maintaining a calorie deficit and exercising because ramps, not even stairs, kicked my *kitten* and it wasn't going to happen again.

By March I was in XL shirts instead of 3X shirts

By the end of May I ran an unbroken mile.

In July I ran my first race, it was in Foxboro and it ended by running out through the giant inflatable patriots helmet and across the 50 yard line in Gillette Stadium. The last time I had been in that city, RAMPS ALMOST KILLED ME.

In September I did the warrior dash and then a 5K on the very next day.

By Halloween I was at normal weight

It's the following January and I've lost 90.5 lbs. Thats 1.67 lbs a week on average and it started at about 2.5 lbs a week (for about 2 months) and now its more like .67 lbs a week cause I've so little left to lose and I've increased my calorie budget.

But I am a transformed man. I love to run, physical tasks are no longer daunting, and it only took a year and I was getting better and improving all along and it wasn't like it happened all at once after a year, I was reaping benefit of my improved health all along.

80 pounds in a YEAR is quick enough unless you plan to die in 12 1/2 months. You'll have the rest of your life to be fit and you'll be feeling better with each pound that comes off and every step you take, or weight you lift or whatever physical activity helps you get the weight off.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    audition for Biggest Loser TV Show...
    I do wish there was a "like" button on here...that made me laff out loud!!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, if you're looking for a quick fix, you're not likely to find one. 0-2 pounds a week is the realm for healthy weight loss, and in the 2012 calendar year, I lost 71 pounds. that's an average weight loss of about 1.3 pounds a week, which is better than average, and it still wasn't 80 pounds - and I have about 120 more that I want to lose.

There are things you can do that will help - food journals, getting on the message boards for support, and setting mini-goals will all help.

Here's a few of my blogposts that might be helpful:
    http://baysweightloss.blogspot.com/2012/05/things-that-have-helped-along-way.html
    http://baysweightloss.blogspot.com/2012/03/losing-weight.html

You should be making small changes that you can live with, and add to them over time. Don't deprive yourself or you'll just want those things more. It's true what they say about "everything in moderation."
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    This is the problem with today's society, they want every thing NOW! As others have said, if you try to lose the weight fast it will not stay off. I've lost almost 75 pounds and that has taken about a year, and I've kept it off. Be patient, you can do it if you really put your mind to it.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I read on your profile that you're a "chronic quitter". The thing about successful weight loss is that you can't quit, ever. It's not something you can just get over with as fast as possible and then go back to "normal". It has to be a permanent change. Maintaining weight loss is just as difficult as losing, if not more so. More than 1 lb a week is definitely possible, especially in the beginning. As you go on, it will get slower. However, changing your mindset is going to be crucial to your long-term success.

My advice would be to make small, gradual changes that you can live with. That way, you'll be less likely to quit, because your lifestyle will be sustainable.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Eat 280,000 calories below your maintenance level. Divide that 280,000 calories by however "quickly" you want to lose the weight.....
    Seriously though if you eat just 769 calories below your maintenance each day for a year, the 80 pounds will be gone.
    I have said maintenance twice, and that's the key. You have to know what your maintenance calories are. Start with a calculator (there are plenty online) to figure your BMR and TDEE and eat 769 calories below your maintenance and adjust as needed, but give it time (at least a few weeks) before you make any adjustments to calories.

THIS THIS THIS
  • jeckalynne
    Options
    Enroll in a bootcamp work out class? One that will kick your *kitten* into gear? ....Thats all ive got
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    If you lose the weight quickly, don't you think you'll just gain it back quickly
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I'm currently weighing in at 248 and would like to lose about 80 pounds. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can lose the weight, preferably quickly? I know that slow and steady wins the race but I don't want to lose my motivation with slow weight loss and stay at this weight for another year.

No, not quickly for where it will stay off. Sorry.

But you can set your settings for up to 2 pounds a week here and if you stick to it and actually do that, then it will only take you 40 weeks to lose it. Good luck!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I don't want to lose my motivation with slow weight loss and stay at this weight for another year.
    If you do rapid weight loss, you'll be playing the role of Bill Murray in Ground Hog Day as you lose the weight only to wake up back at your original weight again. How fun would that be?