what do you order when you eat out ?

Options

Replies

• JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I try to see the menu ahead of times using their website and I figure out the calories before going in. Generate a plan and stick to it

I agree. I also have a folder where i keep take out menus that have their cals on them! ALWAYS ask for one :)
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I want to eat--usually its chicken and veggies or steak/shrimp and veggies
  • Mindarin
    Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Well...fast food? Fruit and yogurt parfait, a chicken wrap, McDonald's has oatmeal... But if I can't find anything healthy, I get a water and wait to be home. Being hungry for a while won't kill me. :)

In a restaurant....whatever I jolly well please. I almost never go out like that, and when I do, the consequences the morning after are worth it. :)
  • MrsDougNOLA
    Options
    Shrimp or Fish / Brocolli / Sweet Potato Fries
  • darkheart
    darkheart Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'll usually go for a salad with the dressing on the side (no cheese) or fish (salmon, mahi, tuna etc) a dry vegetable, and a dry baked potato or sweet potato if available. Sometimes I'll order 2 sides of the dry veggies instead of the starch. I'll squeeze some lime juice on them to give them flavor.
  • AphelionPDX
    Options
    If I have plans to go out that I've made in advance, I will limit my calorie intake throughout the day so I can splurge a little at dinner. I do the same if I know I'm going out for drinks. When I go out for drinks I drink more slowly because it's true that you get buzzed more easily when you don't have a lot of food in your system, which in effect will cause me to drink less adult beverages. I don't know how healthy that is, but it works for me. If I go out for dinner at the spur of the moment, I will order my meal without the extra carbs and starches - I'll have steak, fish, or grilled chicken without bread or potato, lots of veggies, and only drink water. I hope you're getting some great ideas!
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    usually a salad with steak or chicken(no cheese or croutons) or a lean piece of protein and steamed veggies..i always request no butter/oil
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on my mood and what restaurant we are at.

We do tend to go to the same ones more often than new ones - family friendly dining, when we treat the kids.

I'll order anything and everything from:

Chicken quesadilla
    Steak
    Soup and Salad
    Chicken wings

Sometimes I'll order fries...not often though as they aren't my favourite - I almost always sub a salad, with a balsamic dressing if they have it.
  • nicholawelch
    nicholawelch Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    At the harvester I usually have simply chicken with plain jacket potato and lots of salad but still manage to eat about 1200 cals or i have the new combo the have with chicken and the baby ribs with just salad- sometimes have rolls too
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I usually get a salad with dressing on the side that has chicken or beef on it. One of the ones I liked the most was the Sweet Heat Chicken Salad, it's spicy, sweet and sour all at the same time and it's not too bad.

460 Calories, 14g fat, 2.5g sat fat, 0.1g trans fat, 100mg Cholesterol, 930mg soduim, 47g carbs, 6g fibre, 32g sugar and 40.1g protein.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    If I'm eating out, it's probably time for an "eat whatever I want" meal. Thus, I will eat whatever I want (within reason). For healthy options, grilled chicken or fish, plain potato (not fried) or rice, and good steamed veggies. If you get pasta, get a box right away and box half of it up. Sometimes though, you just got to have wings and beer. :drinker:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Depends on the restaurant...if it's pub and pub food then it's usually one of the following:

fish 'n chips
    shepherds pie
    bangers and mash
    corned beef, potatoes, and cabbage

Almost always an appetizer of Scotch Eggs
  • stanthemovieman
    Options
    Grilled chicken, salads with chicken and dressing on the side, lean cuts or beef like filet, steamed veggies, baked potato with no butter or all the toppings on the side and used sparingly.
  • Jim1960
    Jim1960 Posts: 194
    Options
    I'm low carb too; so it's tempting to say steak. But honestly, I don't eat steak out too often. My family simply can't afford to do that very often. Besides, I live with other people who like and eat different things than I do; so I often have to improvise. So I'll give you what I eat at different places:

McD's - I get nothing at all - and frown at my family for making me go there. I know - I could probably get a salad and make do. But it's the principle of the thing.

Steak joint - I enjoy a good a Ribeye or NY strip and a good salad (without croutons). NO POTATOES.

Seafood place - Anything not breaded - usually get some form of Salmon and a good salad (again, no croutons)

California Pizza Kitchen (My wife's fav) - I work with the waiter to adjust the Salmon dish and replace the carb sides with the wok veggies. Sometimes I get the Arugula and Asparagus small bites and have them add Salmon to it.

Greens and Grill (a local chain). They serve alot of locally grown organic stuff; it's basically a salad bar with grilled items added in. I get a salad with dark greens and lower carb / higher fiber add ins. Nuts and cheese. Typically I add to that grilled salmon and grilled pesto shrimp. Yum.

IHOP: We don't go there often; but I'll get a meaty omelet and give the sides (all high carb) to my wife or kids to eat. They'll often give me their bacon or sausage - there can never be enough bacon :)

BBQ: the meat plate, or meat by weight. No sauce. Go to a GOOD BBQ place and you don't need sauce. They might have some decent sides; but often they don't. If they don't - I'll skip it and go total meat.

I'll typically drink water or flavored iced teas (sugar free). I don't drink alcohol - so that isn't something I need to watch.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Unbreaded meats & steamed or raw veggies ie. Steak & salads, naked wings w/sauce on side, grilled fish w/steamed veggies, salads w/grilled meat dressing on side, soup & salad, stuffed mushrooms, seafood etc...
  • MrsJonSamuels
    MrsJonSamuels Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Grill chicken, veggies, grilled seafood, salads with dressing on the side, and sometimes steak.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I dont go out to dinner/lunch unless I know I am going splurge. Im not wasting my money on something that I could easily prepare at home.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    I dont go out to dinner/lunch unless I know I am going splurge. Im not wasting my money on something that I could easily prepare at home.

This.

Considering I eat out about 2x a month at the most, I don't really watch what I order. I get what I want or what I am craving. If that is a burger and fries... then it is a burger and fries. I refuse to go to a pizza joint and order anything then pizza and a beer or a burger joint and get anything but a burger and fries.
  • LoonyLovegood8
    Options
    I love eating at Harvester! I usually have a spit roast chicken breast with baby potatoes and I always get a bowl of salad. It always comes with peas and I hate those unfortunately.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Depends where we are going, but generally
    Steak, Lettuce wrapped burger or Sushi