Losing weight after 40

Options
Hi, my name is Alisa and I am just getting started. I have 15-20 lbs to lose, which may not seem like much for some of you, but I am 45, and taking off weight really is harder than at 25. I lost 40 lbs about 6 years ago and it was not very hard, this time I am really struggling. Any advice?

Replies

• Irene630
    Irene630 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm with you on this! WOW! It really is hard. I'm almost 43 and have had three kids. I've always exercised but I can't seem to lose the last 10lbs. The only other way I can do it is to REALLY watch what I eat. In my earlier years, I could cheat a little. NOT ANYMORE!!! I'm trying so hard to be good. Good luck and know I'm struggling with you!!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hi Alisa, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou: Don't worry, if I could lose it when I was 50, YOU can lose it at 45! :wink:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also under "Community", then "Weight Loss and Healthy Living", then "general diet and weight loss help", and then check out the first few threads. They'll REALLY help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Just the word "diet" would make me cringe and set me up for failure. :grumble: It meant depriving myself of all the "good stuff" out there, and as a result, I'd only last just so long, (maybe a few weeks if I was lucky!) and then I'd "cave" and go right back to eating all those "goodies" again! :embarrassed: :cry: But, MFP ISN'T a "diet". :noway: It's a "lifestyle change". :smile: (When I first read that, I said "Ya, SURE it is!", thinking that it WAS just another diet. :grumble: But, it wasn't! :noway:)
    The main reason that I've managed to lose the weight that I wanted to is because I HAVE been able to eat "real/good" foods. :bigsmile: (Not Slim Fast or any other easy, quick, fad "wacko" diets!:noway: ) Through MFP I learned that I just needed to "work for it", through exercise, and watching my numbers (MOST of the time! :wink: ) As long as I do that, I CAN occasionally have stuff like Chinese food, a double cheeseburger, pizza, and even homemade ice-cream! :love:
    As far as exercise goes, it doesn't always have to be awful. :noway: For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!:wink: ) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria") :love: :happy:
    It's free, (unlike a gym!:grumble: ) fun, :smile: and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also have Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
    MFP REALLY, REALLY, DOES work! :love: :happy: Give it a chance, and it WILL work for you too! :smile:
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    It's hard but not impossible. I would suggest adding a Calcium supplement with D if you're not already on one. Exercise has been the key for me this time. When I was 25, I didn't have to exercise. Now I do it 6 days a week. Good luck to you. This site is awesome.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Alisa -
    I just turned 40 this year and 6 months ago, I had the mindset that because I was getting older I just had to accept the changes in my body (big stomach, big thighs...). IT"S NOT TRUE. I really believe that while changing eating habits is an essential key ingredient, the MAIN ingredient needs to be BUILDING MUSCLE. The more muscle you have throughout your body, the higher your metabolism will be which means you will burn more calories even at rest. You will be leaner and slimmer with more muscle. I found a program that worked amazingly well for me and encourage you to do the same. Send me a note and we can talk more about it.
    Let's make the 40s the best decade yet!!! Which sets up even better things for our 50s and 60s!
    Risa
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and I'll tell you it's hard. I believe we have to work out harder and more often now that we're older. I lost 60 pounds over the last couple of years but this last 6 mos. has been especially hard on me. Not only can't I lose weight but I put 5 pounds back on. I log all my food and my exercise but it doesn't seem to be enough.

Just this week I'm upping my workouts...30 minutes on the bike in the morning, 20 minute walk at work (1.30 miles), and a 30 minutes on the treadmill when I get home from work. I'm going to see if this doesn't jump-start something.

I'm not giving up on these last 40 pounds, don't give up on your 15-20. This has just made me more determined!:happy:
  • alisajoseph
    alisajoseph Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    All,

Thank you so much for all your support. This is awsome that we can support each other this way. You have all given me wonderful ideas, I look forward to more chats with you.

Thanks,
    Alisa
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone has said. I am 55, soon to be 56. I don't think of this as dieting either. I just had to change the way I ate and the choices. And the amounts. I eat almost everything I used to eat but way less of it and by logging everything I see some things are just not worth the calories for what you get. Do to some health issues I can't exercise as hard as many but I can walk and it is working for me. You will have success also. This is a great place and welcome.:happy:
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    Hi, I'm 43 and had 20 lbs. to lose (down 14 so far). We have a GREAT group of 40+ women here...so much wisdom and encouragement. Join us if you'd like!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/87257-women-40-would-like-to-share-progress
  • swtonu2000
    swtonu2000 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Ronda 44 from Los Angeles, I am starting over on my weight loss goals I am determined to make it work. I have 35 lbs to loose. I would love to be a part this thread .
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of 40+ men here too, but we're a bunch of D'bags. :blushing:

Ya', it's a little harder when you reach full-fledged adulthood and your metab slows down a bit and a couple of the joints start to creak a bit, but it can be done. I was past 41 when I started this thing, but with a little hard work and discipline I got 'er done.

On the plus side, you've done a little living and hopefully have a little maturity and perspective. I've buried both of my parents - giving up cheesecake was easy compared to that.

You can do it, just stay on task and be patient. :smile:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    I am 49, and I am so glad I didn't believe I was too old to lose weight. I joined here in August, with a goal of losing 24 pounds by April. I lost 25 by March, and I'm smaller now than I've been in 25+ years.

The keys for me have been consistency, consistency, consistency. If you plan to work out, then actually do it. Determine how many calories you are going to eat, then use the food diary to plan your meals so that you hit your calorie and ratio goals nearly perfectly, and then don't deviate from the plan. If it's too much food or not enough, then make adjustments accordingly to your plan. Don't just blow it off. Record everything, and be consistent so you can really hone in on what works for you. After a while you don't have to be so rigid, but at first, I think it's vital.

After hitting my goal, I set a new one t lose 5 more pounds. Once I get there, I may change it to another 5, but I don't see myself going any lower than that.

Good luck. You can do this!
  • sheri3762
    sheri3762 Posts: 159
    Options
    HI! Just wanted to add a little something to all these great ideas, have you added any strength training to your excercise ? I'm 48, and I started strength training about a month into my "lifestyle" change and believe me, at my age, I truly did not think it was possible to tone or have muscle mass, but you can!!! I've lost a ton of inches and I know doing this is contributing! I do combination of both cardio and strength. I try to do strengh 4 times a week. Twice upper body and twice lower body. All I use is a set of dumbells (though I have had to increase their weight 3 times!) and I also use leg weights. I also keep changing up al my excercise to keep my body guessing whats coming next!! Good luck to you!
  • lisa811
    Options

Ya', it's a little harder when you reach full-fledged adulthood and your metab slows down a bit and a couple of the joints start to creak a bit, but it can be done. I was past 41 when I started this thing, but with a little hard work and discipline I got 'er done.

On the plus side, you've done a little living and hopefully have a little maturity and perspective. I've buried both of my parents - giving up cheesecake was easy compared to that.

You can do it, just stay on task and be patient. :smile:

Sorry, CasperO...didn't mean to disclude you, or to imply there aren't lots of great men at MFP. The thread I put the link to happens to be women.

Forgive me? :bigsmile:
  • scal545
    scal545 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey guys! I am 42 and always weighed around 110 until the past couple of years the weight is just slowly coming on! I recently gained 6 lbs in the past two weeks but I am exercising like a maniac! I am weighing in about 123 right now. I don't really watch what I eat but I don't eat horribly either! I am now trying to track what I eat and make better choices. I go to the gym at least 4 times a week. One day I do a kick boxing class, 2nd day I do a arm/shoulder routine/cardio/abs, 3rd day I do back/cardio/abs, 4th day I do chest/cardio/abs and then the next week I do one day of legs/cardio/abs and then a full day of cardio and start the routine all over! What do you think? My clothes are not really fitting differently but I do not like what the scale says. Any recommendations? :flowerforyou:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    tons of running to do today but tagging this so I can reply later!

You all Rock!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options

Sorry, CasperO...didn't mean to disclude you, - - - Forgive me? :bigsmile:
    'a alright this time,,, don't let it happen again. :smile: :wink: :laugh: :tongue: :bigsmile:
  • lisa811
    Options
    'a alright this time,,, don't let it happen again. :smile: :wink: :laugh: :tongue: :bigsmile:

I promise I'll be more careful. :wink:
  • lisa811
    Options
    Hey guys! I am 42 and always weighed around 110 until the past couple of years the weight is just slowly coming on! I recently gained 6 lbs in the past two weeks but I am exercising like a maniac! I am weighing in about 123 right now. I don't really watch what I eat but I don't eat horribly either! I am now trying to track what I eat and make better choices. I go to the gym at least 4 times a week. One day I do a kick boxing class, 2nd day I do a arm/shoulder routine/cardio/abs, 3rd day I do back/cardio/abs, 4th day I do chest/cardio/abs and then the next week I do one day of legs/cardio/abs and then a full day of cardio and start the routine all over! What do you think? My clothes are not really fitting differently but I do not like what the scale says. Any recommendations? :flowerforyou:

You actually remind me of another very important point: The scale is one thing, and yes it's important...to a point. Even more important (I think) as we get into our 40's is getting our bodies healthy so we can enjoy our 50's, 60's, and 70's...and beyond. How many people in that age range have heart disease, diabetes, blood clots, clogged arteries, painful joints? I want to do everything I can NOW to try and prevent all that. That's my main focus.

That being said, exercise of course is crucial. BUT...I think nutrition is EVEN MORE IMPORTANT. IMHO. Really make an effort to eat wholesome, nutritious foods (as much as possible), with some cardio and toning. You'll feel better, and as an added bonus, you'll drop a few pounds.
  • scal545
    scal545 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks Lisa I am sure going to try!!! We will see what happens I will keep you posted!
  • lisa811
    Options
    Good luck! And come join our 40+ thread if you'd like the support...it works!