Low Cal Salmon Recipes?

Options
MightyDomo
MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
Being that salmon is one of the very few fish that I actually like and I have been told all around to include fish more in my diet I am hoping that there are some great low cal recipes out there that go over well with picky fish eaters in general :) as I tend to be quite picky obviously.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Replies

• splashberry007
    Options
    I usually buy fresh salmon, fry it with a touch of olive oil and onions/leeks and add it to wilted spinach and sweet potato fries
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I put my salmon in silver foil (loosely wrapped) for 30 minutes, on 200 degrees. Then I have it with 2 steam bags of vegetables. Done and served - Super easy, super tasty, super healthy.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You'll need:
    a pan
    foil
    PAM spray
    salmon
    half a lemon

Foil your pan and lightly spray it with pan, place fish on pan, squeeze lemon juice on fish. Place in oven at 350F for like 12min or so
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Salmon all alone is a bit on the higher calorie side for fish (more good for you fats) but I bake it with nothing on it at all (fresh salmon) and it is awesome. Add a slice of rye bread and some steamed veggies - nom nom nom
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Sashimi. Eat it raw with a little bit of mirin on that.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Bake it with garlic and a drizzle of honey.
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The foil packet is a nice and easy way to go. I usually put asparagus on bottom, salmon on top and a couple slices of lemon on top of the salmon. Drizzle with olive oil. Goes great with brown rice.
  • liftingcoach
    liftingcoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I like to marinate the salmon in a mixture of equal parts Yoshida Teriyaki Marinade, Sherry, and water. (cuts down the calories) then after about an hour or two marinating, grill it on the BBQ grill. You can brush it with the sauce as it is cooking.
    Another recipe is to coat it well with Blackening seasoning, and either grill or pan fry it. Try marinating in orange juice and bourbon before oven roasting it. ( a couple of ounces of OJ and just a shot of bourbon, plus one for the cook!!) Baking it in a foil pouch with fresh Rosemary sprigs after a light coating of olive oil is also good.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I"m picky about fish too. I'll eat cod and cat but not scappers or stronger tasting fishes.
    I found this recipe in a cook book and loved it. It's really easy
    Combine
    -1 egg
    -1Tb minced onions
    -1/3 c diced green peppers
    -1/3 c italian bread crumbs
    -1 Tb lemon juice
    -1 tsp teriyaki sauce
    - 1/4 tsp dried basil
    - 1/4 tsp black pepper
    - 1 can (about 14 oz) of salmon, drained, deboned, and skinnless
    Combine in a gallon sized zip-loc and mix well. Separate into 4 patties .
    Spray a large skillet with non-stick spray and cook the patties on both sides until brown.
    190 cal, 8 g fat, 9 carbs, 2 g sugar, and 1 g of fiber.
  • cascadeshiker
    Options
    I usually steep good quality fresh salmon fillets.
    It's a foolproof recipe for a guy like me :).
    Fill a pan with just enough water to cover the salmon.
    Take the salmon out.
    Bring the water to a boil.
    Put the salmon back in.
    Turn off the heat and cover the pan.
    Set the timer for 11 minutes.
    Done!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I am kind of shocked at how east these recipes sound!

I will have a couple weeks to test them out and see what I like. Even though I would still like to see more recipes if anyone comes by my thread, the more the better.
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Grilled on a cedar plank for the smoke :) A little Johnny's seasoning and it's perfect !!
  • emmaninek
    Options
    I'm personally doing low carb, so heres the lower carb salmon patty recipe:

Ingredients
    1 can (14.75 oz) pink salmon (any brand)
    1 large egg
    2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
    2 tbs olive oil
    Preparation
    Open and partly drain the salmon. (It’s OK to leave in some of the water.)
    Place salmon in a mixing bowl, and mash with a fork.
    Start olive oil heating in a no-stick pan.
    Add whole egg and garlic powder to the salmon, and mix those in.
    Form four salmon patties of roughly equal size.
    Pan fry patties about 3 minutes on a side over medium-high flame. (You want the patties nicely browned on both sides, and heated through.)

Nutrition
    Each patty has 240 calories, 1.5 grams of net carbs, and 22.5 grams of protein.
  • littlepw99
    Options
    My family loves this recipe. According to MFP this recipe is cal=227 , 2 carbs, 27 protein.

Baked Salmon
    Ingredients
    • 2 cloves garlic, minced/1/2 tsp garlic powder
    • 6 tablespoons light olive oil
    • 1 teaspoon dried basil
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
    • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
    • 4 fillets 4oz salmon
    Directions
    1. In a medium glass bowl, prepare marinade by mixing garlic, light olive oil, basil, salt, pepper, lemon juice and
    parsley. Place salmon fillets in a medium glass baking dish, and cover with the marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator about 1 hour, turning occasionally.
    2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    3. Place fillets in aluminum foil, cover with marinade, and seal. Place sealed salmon in the glass dish, and bake 35 to 45 minutes, until easily flaked with a fork.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Get wild sockeye if you can. Farmed Atlantic is really fatty and bad for the environment, which is sad b/c I love it. Sorry, I'm a dirty hippie. :sad: Anyway, I just put it in the oven on 400 for 10 min or so with some of this on it: http://www.coloradospice.com/products/seafood-spice-blends/trout-salmon-rub-bag.html

And my super handy fish thermometer is awesome: http://www.amazon.com/Cooked-Perfect-Complete-Reusable-Color-Changing-Thermometer/dp/B00122XNYK
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    1) Drained horseradish, panko breadcrumb, some dill, tbsp of olive oil, s&p, spread on the top of the salmon and bake

2) Mix maple syrup and dijon mustard together and brush on top of salmon and bake

these are my 2 go-to salmon recipes.
  • notreallytrillian
    notreallytrillian Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I like smoked salmon over a bed of spinach. For dressing I use 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice. Then I put fresh ground black pepper on it and top with some diced red onion. It comes in at right around 300 calories depending on your quantities of greens and onions. Yuuuummy!
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Marinate in SoyVey (or similar) for 20-30 minutes and broil. I get a big filet and slice it into pieces. Perfect every time. We have it once or twice a week and it is always yummy.
  • Anycleavers
    Anycleavers Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Seasoned with a little Thyme and salt
    a little bit of oil to keep from sticking
    topped with very thin slices of orange
    baked at 375F until flaky, depends on the thickness, could be 12-20 minutes. Keep an eye on it.
    Couldn't be simpler and damned tasty!
  • Tina8818
    Options
    LOL I have just eaten my favourite salmon supper : Salmon, noodles, mushrooms and pak-choi. Wonderful and takes 15 mins start to finish.

200g salmon (I like a lot of salmon when I have it SO good for you)
    Mushrooms - chestnut, ****ake, button whatever you like
    30g dry weight fine noodles
    Pak-choi as much as you fancy - white bits sliced and green bits shredded
    Garlic clove - crushed
    Table spoon of sesame oil - or spray oil to cut calories
    Salt and pepper
    Soy Sauce - I prefer dark soy for this

Put kettle on and cover noodles in a bowl with water when boiled
    Heat 1/2 tbspn oil in a small frying pan. When warming up put salmon in skin side down. Keep turning as you go on.
    Heat 1/2 spoon oil in non stick pan. Fry garlic, white bits of pak-choi and mushrooms with Dark Soy Sauce. Stir fry over a highish heat till starting to cook, add green bit bits of pak-choi, salt and peper
    Drain noodles and add to vegetables. Add more soy if required.

At the same time as stir frying the veg, be turning the salmon over till cooked through and when all done serve. Simple but really tasty.

Depending on what oil you use this is a 550-600ish calorie dish - Enjoy