What's the best term for fat?

Options
RhonndaJ
RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
Earlier today in conversation my boss referred to me as 'plump' and a couple of weeks ago I heard someone of a similar build to myself referred to as 'solid'.

I tend to think of myself as 'fat', though 'morbidly obese' or the cringe-worthy 'super morbidly obese' would be more accurate. I'd actually like to reach 'plump' or 'chubby' and, god knows, I'm more 'jiggly' than 'solid'.

I've never had a problem being called 'fat' since to me it's all about what's behind the words not the words themselves, but the terms my boss and this gentleman used have gotten me to thinking that thinner people might well be in quite a spot in how to refer to someone 'of size' (yet another one of those, I think, odd terms).

Yes, I know, it's best if you don't reference someone's weight, but there are times it is actually necessary when describing someone.

So what do you think? What terms are you good with, what terms offend you?

Just because I'm curious.

Replies

• _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    When I am trying to describe a fat person at work to someone I will say something like "the bigger lady with the short blonde hair" or something like that.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    It's a no win situation.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I prefer stocky.
  • SmilesIowa
    Options
    I just say heavier or fat. One of my least favorite words for fat is "husky" lol.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    "must be bulking"
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    whoa
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    festive
  • mikebowers27
    Options
    My friends like husky. Doubt a girl would like that too much.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Fat has very negative connotation now. While a term we all know and probably the easiest way to describe someone.... its always taken negatively by the majority. I teach my kids "its not nice to call someone "fat" " Even if they are.

Its a no win situation.
  • SweetSailor
    SweetSailor Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've heard "thick" before. Once I was also called Rubenesque.
  • linochka1969
    linochka1969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Heavy set, full figure. But I have to agree it is a no win situation
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Fatty seems pretty solid, I've also heard sub human mentioned a few times
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i prefer "curvy"
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Overweight.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a no win situation because just when you might think you've found a safe term, you'll run across someone offended by it.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I use larger lady/man, or overweight. People are so offended by "fat" now, even when it's just used as a description, so I'd never refer to someone as that!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is a question of terminology, but of context. I am not offended easily though. But I think any word can be found offensive based on context.

"She is a heavy girl" isn't nearly as offensive to me as "Damn! That ***** is heavy!"

As far as someone referring to you as "solid," I personally wouldn't refer to someone that way unless they had significant muscle. But that's just me.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    festively plump
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I thought it was "fluffy". I've been out of the loop lately so it might still be "curvy".
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I usually just go with "overweight".