Ladies-how do you cope?

Options
2»

Replies

• jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Don't stress out too much. I find that making my self workout helps tremendously. And if I want chocolate I make sure I have a few squares of dark choclate. You can do this!
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone saying that 1400 calories is too low when you don't even know anything about this girl?? You can't give advice when you aren't aware of the situation.

My goal on non weight lifting days is 1380. If I eat real, whole foods it's hard to hit that number. My TDEE is approx 1560. My stats are I'm 5'1'' 120 lbs with 19% BF.

Don't make generalizations, please.

THANK YOU for making this point. Most days I find it hard to hit the 1420 because I eat a lot of raw and whole foods and green smoothies. I'm just looking for tips/advice what to do specifically when the birth control hormones are raging. I know I'm doing well most of the time. I'm 5'11" and started at 269, I am 208 now. Perhaps I should have made it clear that I am not new to healthy eating and weight-loss, just new to MFP.
  • asaralee3
    asaralee3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You just started, you'll figure it out eventually. I call it shark week, and i don't shy away from chocolate. but i don't binge either. Give yourself a chance before you start beating yourself up

I call it Shark Week too, lol!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself! Okay so you are limited on the working out because of your knee..... and you have this adjustment to the bc. The knee will heal so you can go hard again. The bc, well that might or might not be an easy adjustment. Just keep plugging and doing the best you can, and when your knee is completely recovered, you can work on progress again.
  • RobinC37
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself! Okay so you are limited on the working out because of your knee..... and you have this adjustment to the bc. The knee will heal so you can go hard again. The bc, well that might or might not be an easy adjustment. Just keep plugging and doing the best you can, and when your knee is completely recovered, you can work on progress again.

Another girl here had the knee surgery. I had an appendectomy on Christmas (abdominal surgery).
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Why is everyone saying that 1400 calories is too low when you don't even know anything about this girl?? You can't give advice when you aren't aware of the situation.

My goal on non weight lifting days is 1380. If I eat real, whole foods it's hard to hit that number. My TDEE is approx 1560. My stats are I'm 5'1'' 120 lbs with 19% BF.

Don't make generalizations, please.

THANK YOU for making this point. Most days I find it hard to hit the 1420 because I eat a lot of raw and whole foods and green smoothies. I'm just looking for tips/advice what to do specifically when the birth control hormones are raging. I know I'm doing well most of the time. I'm 5'11" and started at 269, I am 208 now. Perhaps I should have made it clear that I am not new to healthy eating and weight-loss, just new to MFP.

At 5'11 and 208 pounds, you are likely not eating enough.
  • deksgrl
    Options

Another girl here had the knee surgery. I had an appendectomy on Christmas (abdominal surgery).

Oh, sorry about that. But still the same point applies.
  • sophieclarev
    Options
    I got really hormonal and as a result I had hormonal migraines. By losing belly fat I've stopped all my hormonal symptoms including the mood swings, bouts of crying and wanting to set people on fire, and most life changing, I no longer get migraines.

This is because you store hormones in excess body fat and so when it comes time to release hormones for ovulation etc your system gets flooded with them and you get the resulting crappy PMS.

A big help for me was eating lots of protein around that time of the month too. I was doing only 1200cals but with lots of protein and not much carbs. I found this really helped mr curb my cravings as sugar set me off wanting to eat everything!

Good luck and I hope it gets better for you
  • RobinC37
    Options
    I got really hormonal and as a result I had hormonal migraines. By losing belly fat I've stopped all my hormonal symptoms including the mood swings, bouts of crying and wanting to set people on fire, and most life changing, I no longer get migraines.

This is because you store hormones in excess body fat and so when it comes time to release hormones for ovulation etc your system gets flooded with them and you get the resulting crappy PMS.

A big help for me was eating lots of protein around that time of the month too. I was doing only 1200cals but with lots of protein and not much carbs. I found this really helped mr curb my cravings as sugar set me off wanting to eat everything!

Good luck and I hope it gets better for you

Thank you for this explanation and advice!! I noted that as I got fatter, long before birth control, my PMS would get worse the more I weighed. I never knew about protein though. I usually wake up to a green smoothie, which nets me lots of carbs from fruit, and small amounts of protein from the greens. I will try to start eating my Greek yogurt earlier in the day or maybe starting with some eggs to get an earlier protein boost. I'm not a huge sugar eater to begin with- except the first week or so after the shot.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    How about chalking it up to having an "off" day and just getting over it. Being over your goal by a couple hundred calories isn't going to effect your weight loss goal that much. If I'm hungry, I eat something that's 100-200 calories and if it puts me over for the day, so be it. As long as it's not happening every day of course... This especially counts for PMS week (which I'm going through right now). If I'm craving and hungry, I'm miserable and eventually I'll hit a point where it gets to be too much and I'll say F THIS and go eat whatever the hell I want and go WAY over. Better to be prepared with a satisfying snack (protein bar, square or 2 of dark chocolate, even oatmeal w/ craisins) that puts you over a tiny bit than cave and eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's.