Options

Replies

• smileyyogini
    Options
    Im cool with rubenesque or voluptuous.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I use the term 'doughy' to describe myself, but generally try to refrain from describing someone else's weight in casual conversation. If I were talking about them in such a way that I was referring to their health or fitness status or something equally clinical, I would use "overweight", "overfat" or "obese", "morbidly obese", or whatever term applied to that person.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    pregnant
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    There's always "not height-weight proportionate". The more scientific sounding, the less offensive.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I like the terms, "overweight" and "fat", depending on the setting and circumstances. Unless it's necessary to define exactly how fat (obese, morbidly, etc.) I think those two words are suitable. Personally, I don't really like the 'socially acceptable' or 'sugar coated' words - plump, fluffy, bbw ..... I don't really think these terms 'soften the blow' as it were ... they just make me feel uncomfortable.
  • FitGoal165
    Options
    Corpulent.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    My best friend is overweight. I call her curvy.
  • catbyrd
    catbyrd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i had a friend who always referred to herself as being "fluffy":smile:
  • appelsiinipuu
    appelsiinipuu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    overweight or big
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Fluffy
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Europeans tend to use the term Thick. Personally I like voluptuous!
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    dietarily challenged.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    It really is a no win situation. It's like trying to refer to a person's ethnicity, you will always find someone offended at your description.
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If I am talking about someone else, I'll say "bigger," "larger" or heavyset."

If I am talking about myself I usually say "chunky chick" or "extra jiggle in my wiggle."

Clearly, I think my fat has a fun personality....
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I don't really care, but I'd prefer 'fat' over some silly word that is meant to spare my feelings. Though sometimes I joke about being 'squishy' or 'more to love'. :tongue:
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    under tall. I usually say large or just describe some other aspect, That lady in the floral marquee not being a good term though.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    When I am trying to describe a fat person at work to someone I will say something like "the bigger lady with the short blonde hair" or something like that.
    I also say "big" in descriptions. "The tall mom, who's kind of big and with blonde hair". Or the "Short teacher who's a little on the bigger side and with a red 'fro".

If I were to refer to myself like when meeting a client who hasn't met me for the first time "usually I refer to my car" but if I HAD too, I'd say, "well, I'm kind of petite, well actually I used to be petite, but now I'm just short."
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    fluffy
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    It really seems to be a no-win situation. You have a good attitude about it but many others think the term fat is condescending or insulting. I personally say the large or bigger person...really I try to avoid using any weight related identifiers- most people have other characteristics to be identified by....

I have to disagree with the previous comment...i don't see voluptuous and fat to be the same thing at all. I hear voluptuous and I think curvy but not necessarily overweight...like Jessica Rabbit or something
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    First of all, Kudo's for acknowledging that you're "fat." (Not my words, yours and your here trying to do something about it.) I always try to use the term heavy set girl and add a compliment like wearing that cute blue top or haircut or something if referring to a girl/woman. A guy - he's just heavy set b/c they don't care as much. But if someone is offended b/c someone uses a word that is not to their liking, it could most likely be that they haven't acknowleded that they are "that" whatever that word is yet.