This can't be right: Wii Just Dance

Options
First of all, disclaimer: Wii games are not my workout routine. I'm mainly doing Chalean Extreme.

So the other day, I challenged my 6- and 9-year-old daughters to a dance-off with the Wii Just Dance. I thought it would be a fun after-dinner-and-homework activity. In case you're wondering, I lost miserably.

But! Just for fun, I decided to wear my HRM. For 45 min. of work, it says I burned about 400 calories. Granted, I'm not coordinated enough to get any sort of muscle endurance benefit from the moves, but then again some goes for me in Zumba classes. Anyway, just seems like a lot of calories burned for something that was so much fun.

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I say trust your HRM.

Just because it's fun doesn't mean it can't be a decent workout.
  • Makeda1211
    Makeda1211 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    First of all, disclaimer: Wii games are not my workout routine. I'm mainly doing Chalean Extreme.

So the other day, I challenged my 6- and 9-year-old daughters to a dance-off with the Wii Just Dance. I thought it would be a fun after-dinner-and-homework activity. In case you're wondering, I lost miserably.

But! Just for fun, I decided to wear my HRM. For 45 min. of work, it says I burned about 400 calories. Granted, I'm not coordinated enough to get any sort of muscle endurance benefit from the moves, but then again some goes for me in Zumba classes. Anyway, just seems like a lot of calories burned for something that was so much fun.

You definitely should trust your HRM, as the game is just as effective as Zumba. It also has the same sneaky way of getting your heart rate up, just like Zumba. And, you never know, it might have just the been a great way to vary your exercise routine.
  • MiTime2016
    MiTime2016 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I just bought my adult daughter a Wii, Just Dance and the Zumba game, she loves it.
    I think I need to get one for myself for something different.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM when I play Just Dance with my kids and I trust that I'm getting the burn it says I am, game or no. There is a lot of jumping and moving around with those games! I know I'm dripping sweat when I'm done.

And for the record, none of my immediate family can beat me. I am the Just Dance Champion!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Sounds normal. I did an hour of it with my kids and had a decent burn.
  • beancurdie
    beancurdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Definitely trust your HRM on this one. We have the Xbox/Kinect version and it's killer because it also tracks your foot movements. Over the Christmas break, the boys had me playing it just about every day and I was dying after 30 minutes.

Have you played (I've had) The Time of my LIfe yet? Hilarious. DH and I had my mother crying with laughter while the boys were completely mortified!
  • Daxton
    Daxton Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm totally going to wear my HRM while playing the Avengers: Battle for Earth on Kinect. Of even Rise of Nightmares. I couldn;t believe my HR when I played those games.
  • calroseangelo
    Options
    Just Dance is an AMAZING calorie burner!! I always burn about 400 in 45 minutes! Trust your HRM!!
  • flpmomi
    flpmomi Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I use all the Just Dance games along with Michael Jackson, Black Eye Peas and Zumba on the Wii as my workout. That is why I stick with it because it is fun and I can do it with my daughter, my friends or by myself. Its a great workout without feeling like a workout. I love it!!!!!!! So def trust the HRM!!! :bigsmile:
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Trust the HRM. I have Just Dance 3 and do them when I don't feel like a structured workout. They make me sweat like you wouldn't believe.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I LOVE that game!! My 8 year old daughter and I had a dance off last night for about 45 minutes, I kicked her butt!! :) She's a great sport!
  • rosaleigh510
    Options
    Definitely trust your HRM on this one. We have the Xbox/Kinect version and it's killer because it also tracks your foot movements. Over the Christmas break, the boys had me playing it just about every day and I was dying after 30 minutes.

Have you played (I've had) The Time of my LIfe yet? Hilarious. DH and I had my mother crying with laughter while the boys were completely mortified!

pretty awesome to know my little one loves to play that game now i know i can get a decent work out with it!! I have the kinect version as well
  • sophiek1964
    sophiek1964 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I wore my HRM once when I did Just Dance 2 and burned 300 calories in 40 minutes. I don't doubt my HRM.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Yeah, i burn calories like crazy on the Wii games, sometimes i can get 600 calories an hour! If i dont put in any effort i burn 350 an hour. dance your heart out, i've lost soooooo many pounds on my Wii! I play DDR, with the dance pad, and my calves are like rocks
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

We have it too, and you do burn alot of calories. Doing CLX and using Just Dance for your cardio would be a great combo!
    I love that game!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I should wear my HRM when I play Diablo 3 in hardcore mode. When I get swarmed by a giant mob with elites I tend to panic. I'm sure my heart rate is up there in the 6000's ~
  • Itzzie
    Itzzie Posts: 14
    Options
    MFP even tracks it at over 200 cal burned under 30 min cardio-general! It is a workout for sure!!!!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I should wear my HRM when I play Diablo 3 in hardcore mode. When I get swarmed by a giant mob with elites I tend to panic. I'm sure my heart rate is up there in the 6000's ~

This is how I feel when I'm about to be kicked from any raid group on WoW for trolling :[

But seriously, though. I am not a sweater, at ALL, (I'm also not a sweatshirt) and Just Dance is the only time I ever sweat... Haven't played it forever, though.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Last week I burned 50 calories while playing a 10 minute game of air hockey with my son.

(I was still wearing my HRM so thought what the heck; it was after my workout so my heart rate was probably still up a bit during the game).....But regardless, I counted it.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Really? I thought the calorie burn was from how hard you slam your keyboard when the server lags out on you and causes your character an instant death.