Diastasis Recti

Options
Any other mommies out there dealing with this? I've had 3 c-sections, and I'm thinking this could be my biggest issue. If you're dealing with this, what are you doing to fix the issue. I need some ideas!

Replies

• sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if I have this, but if you think you have it then Lindsay Brin have some DVDs that address it.
  • hthrhrpr
    hthrhrpr Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I checked out her blog and some of her videos, looks like I've found where to start! Thanks for the help!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I had 6 pregnancies (3 c-sects also), and the DR increased in width each time. Don't crunch; it makes the hernia worse. It cannot repair on its own. If it's causing problems or pain you can see a surgeon.
  • kat2475
    kat2475 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just had surgery on 12/28 because of this. I had 3 abdominal hernias repaired, an umbilical hernia plus the muscles sewn back together. I didn't go the full tummy tuck route because insurance wouldn't pay for it but just what I had done lost 1.5 inches off my waist. I'm still a bit swollen so I'm curious to see the final results.
  • karlatrotman
    Options
    You can use the Diastasis Rehab program to correct your separation. Its not widely known, but the splint approximates the muscles while your connective tissue heals. The DVD shows you how to do the Tupler Technique and how not to exacerbate the separation in the future.
  • BeFitMom
    Options
    To repair diastasis recti after pregnancy, you need to start by building a lot of strength back into your deepest abdominal muscle, your Transverse Abdominis, or TvA. When contracted, the TvA compresses the abdomen. The TvA does not move bone.
    Then after this muscle has regained adequate strength, you need to do specialized postnatal rehab exercises that train the muscle to function properly as a stabilizer. This step is key. It is critical to perform exercises that train the TvA to functional properly in relationship to other muscles along its kinetic chain. Most diastasis rehab programs overlook this critical step.
    If your mid line is very wide, more than 3 finger-widths, you can also add manual splinting of your mid line with your hands to assist your TvA.
    In the mean time, do not perform ANY abdominal exercises that lift/flex the upper body off the floor or against the force of gravity, as these moves will make the condition worse. No crunches, oblique pulses, roll-ups, roll-downs, most Pilates mat work, and yoga moves like “boat pose.”
    All women with diastasis should use the “log roll” technique when rising from the floor, or getting out of bed to protect their mid lines.
    Google my screen name for more info.
    BeFit-Mom
  • hthrhrpr
    hthrhrpr Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the information! I'm going to look into all of it!
  • mutusystem
    Options
    Hi there, some great advice here - make sure you check out MuTu System as well http://mutusystem.com for loads of free information + a free video of how to test yourself for diastasis :smile:
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Any other mommies out there dealing with this? I've had 3 c-sections, and I'm thinking this could be my biggest issue. If you're dealing with this, what are you doing to fix the issue. I need some ideas!

ME! 2 c/sec including a set of twins!

My Tupler technique video and splint came in the mail Saturday, I am hoping to make time tonight to get started with it!

One of my twins asked me again today if I had a baby in my belly. After working so hard to lose 13 lbs so far I wanted to cry. But I have to keep at this- I am averaging 1 lb/week which means I'll be almost at goal by xmas. I can't give up on myself :)

Any other diastasis recti mamas feel free to add me!
  • dValkyrie
    dValkyrie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    There's a book called Maternal Fitness. I bought it when I was pregnant with my first baby. It shows how to use an ordinary towel to support your abs during a workout, safe exercises you can do, and importantly, how to ease back into exercise after your baby is born.

Highly recommended.

(Disclaimer: BTW, I'm not selling this book, nor would I receive any gain from sales from this book.)