This can't be right: Wii Just Dance

Options
13»

Replies

• FierceV_Phat
    FierceV_Phat Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Everybody is correct trust your HRM! I've lost almost all my weight playing different exercise games on the Wii! Whenevee they get a new one I go get it....I just brought Wii Hip Hop Dance Experience....I have Just Dance 3....it has nothing on the intensity or the burn I get from Hip Hop Dance Experience....according to my HRM!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I get one heck of a workout from it. I use the Just Sweat side as a workout and burned easily 200 calories in 49 minutes. I would say more, but I don't wear a HRM.
  • marias2gaa
    marias2gaa Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    First of all, disclaimer: Wii games are not my workout routine. I'm mainly doing Chalean Extreme.

So the other day, I challenged my 6- and 9-year-old daughters to a dance-off with the Wii Just Dance. I thought it would be a fun after-dinner-and-homework activity. In case you're wondering, I lost miserably.

But! Just for fun, I decided to wear my HRM. For 45 min. of work, it says I burned about 400 calories. Granted, I'm not coordinated enough to get any sort of muscle endurance benefit from the moves, but then again some goes for me in Zumba classes. Anyway, just seems like a lot of calories burned for something that was so much fun.

I do Zumba Wii and burn so much I love it! It doesnt feel like a work out because I love to dance
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    We have the kinect/xbox360 and I use Dance Central and Just Dance with my kids. 60 minutes on medium/hard usually burns for me about 400 calories, and it's fun too Enjoy!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Here's how a HRM works, so judge for yourself. Basically, the calories burned displayed during or at the end of your workout is a series of averages based on your heart rate at different points in your workout, your age, your weight and some experimental data by some dudes in the 80s and 90s.

Unless you have a fancy heart monitor that asks you to enter your VO2Max, in which case, it gives you a much more accurate estimate based on how efficient your body's work rate is.

All the sciencey stuff is to say, most people burn about 10 calories a minute when they have a pretty good work rate (think it's hard to talk, you're really shaking your rump around etc.). Heavier people also burn more calories in the same amount of time. So it's quite possible you burned 400 cals in 45 mins, but remember that even your HRM is not the final word on how many calories you actually burn!
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of Just Dance!

When I decided to start losing weight again I didn't really know what I could do for exercise as my health problems have worsened, especially my legs. I can't really use a lot of my old kit anymore, not even my low impact stepper :o(

I bought Just Dance as a family present and found it really manageable and I'm now using it as my main cardio workout at least 5 times a week (apart from 5 weeks while I had a broken foot!). I try to play for at least an hour on non stop shuffle so that my heart rate doesn't get time to drop during songs.

I've not lost a hell of a lot of weight, 11lb over 11 weeks but I do seem to lose slightly more weight per week when working out with Just Dance and I think my progress is going well factoring in my foot and all the Christmas goodies I consumed lol.

It feels like an easy way to improve my fitness and the Xbox version doesn't pause when my 5 little ones are buzzing around. My baby is often content to bop to the music when its on and my elder ones are free to join in if they want and this all makes finding the time to exercise a little easier.

I log it as general dancing and make the most of the extra calories!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Dancing is an aerobic exercise.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    oh, its right for sure. That's the thing about Wii. i love Wii Zumba or any dancing Wii Game because hello..its fun.... it has character and you forget youre actually MOVING and burning calories!
  • Robyn120
    Robyn120 Posts: 249
    Options
    That is correct! I do play Just Dance for fun cardio days using my HRM. It's a great cardio workout :)
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I bought two Just Dance games for my son for Christmas and I played one song but he wasn't interested...yet. I'm SO excited to see if my homestay students (girls, age 13&14) will play with me and hopefully get the little man interested in joining us and I'm SO going to wear my HRM!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yeah...good cardio doesn't have to mean droning away endless hours on an eliptical...it can actually be fun.
  • MelSabourin
    MelSabourin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use all the Just Dance games along with Michael Jackson, Black Eye Peas and Zumba on the Wii as my workout.

The Black Eyed Peas Experience is hilarious...it's freaking hard! But fun...even for the uncoordinated:)
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I use all the Just Dance games along with Michael Jackson, Black Eye Peas and Zumba on the Wii as my workout. That is why I stick with it because it is fun and I can do it with my daughter, my friends or by myself. Its a great workout without feeling like a workout. I love it!!!!!!! So def trust the HRM!!! :bigsmile:
    Have BEP and JD3 for Wii. Rented JD4 but waiting for price drop before will buy. Just bought 2 Zumba games and 2 EA Active games (bargain bin) but haven't tried yet. I will be using Amazon GC to get an HRM (FT7) soon, but all the numbers I'm hearing sound valid based on my experience, so I definitely would trust them.
    For the best workout, don't be lazy by doing only the minimum to score the points... do your best to do the full movement.

P.S. I dare anyone to do BEP's "They Don't Want Music" 'for-real-for-real' and not have a high heart rate! I either save that one for last or have to take a breather afterwards.
  • TheNEWMonicaB
    TheNEWMonicaB Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    OMG, dying laughing. I made my oldest to do Wild Wild West. She was mortified at having to dance to an old, weird song.
    [/quote]
    LOL! My 7 year old was cracking up at her dad and I dancing to Wild Wild West! :)
  • FierceV_Phat
    FierceV_Phat Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I use all the Just Dance games along with Michael Jackson, Black Eye Peas and Zumba on the Wii as my workout. That is why I stick with it because it is fun and I can do it with my daughter, my friends or by myself. Its a great workout without feeling like a workout. I love it!!!!!!! So def trust the HRM!!! :bigsmile:
    Have BEP and JD3 for Wii. Rented JD4 but waiting for price drop before will buy. Just bought 2 Zumba games and 2 EA Active games (bargain bin) but haven't tried yet. I will be using Amazon GC to get an HRM (FT7) soon, but all the numbers I'm hearing sound valid based on my experience, so I definitely would trust them.
    For the best workout, don't be lazy by doing only the minimum to score the points... do your best to do the full movement.

P.S. I dare anyone to do BEP's "They Don't Want Music" 'for-real-for-real' and not have a high heart rate! I either save that one for last or have to take a breather afterwards.
    I've got to try the BEP's