Maybe I am not ready??

Options
Maybe I am not ready to lose this weight and don't have the will power at this time?!?! Self sabatoge has become my best friend. I exercise regulary but my diet is HORRIBLE!! I guess you have to have the right mindset to lose weight.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• di1428
    di1428 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i believe we are own worst enemy...be your own best friend and not someone who
    will sabatage yourself.
    follow the advice you would tell someone you loved and cared about........

it is a mindset i believe.......i had so many "tomorrow im starting overs"..eventually enough is enough.
    for me, i picked a date (april 10 2012) and the week leading up to it i talked to myself so much saying
    that is the date...ya either gonna do it or ya not. do i want to be happy and healthy or continue to feel
    negitive and not like how i look?
    im only about half way there and have hit a bump......(plateau) but refuse to get discourage because
    that will just set me back....

you can do this! keep coming here and take it one day at a time......feel free to add me (and others)for future encouragement.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You're right. You have to be ready. You have to decide to make a change and jump feet first.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me has been to not think of a few bad days (or even a solid week) as "falling off the wagon" and needing to "get motivated and on track again." That implies I've failed, when really, I simply acted like a normal human being who doesn't count calories. Saying I screwed up makes me feel screwed up and then I drag along all the extra guilt and frustration and baggage onto the NEXT round and just set myself up for more failure.

It's a hedonistic way of thinking about it (very feel-good, kind of touchy-feely), but it's the only attitude that's worked for me this time. Bad days, bad meals, and a full bad week or two and I've still lost weight, still lost inches, still fitting into smaller clothes. Adherence is important, but so is recognizing that we are not going to be able to be on 100 percent of the time.
  • wildchild06241
    wildchild06241 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Only you can answer that question. But I'm with di1428, choose a date and prepare yourself. It's the same as quitting smoking. I needed a challenge from my gym to get started. I've thought about it for a year and a half. But they posted a Biggest Loser contest and I am highly competitive. Doing what I can to win! Even if I lose I'll be a winner because I will have lost weight and become healthier and stronger. (But I will win!)
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body
  • SE_Adams
    Options
    I have found that taking it slow and not getting over zealous has been the key for me.
  • dlbinin
    dlbinin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am not ready to lose this weight and don't have the will power at this time?!?! Self sabatoge has become my best friend. I exercise regulary but my diet is HORRIBLE!! I guess you have to have the right mindset to lose weight.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You absolutely must be ready mentally. No getting around it. Maybe your not mentally ready now but next month you might be. No quick fixes to lose the weight. When your ready you will know it. Then once you start and begin to see the weight coming off you will have tons of motivation and self control. I am speaking from personal experience. Good luck to you.
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    No point in trying to lose weight if your diet is horrible. no amount of exercise can reverse what you put in your mouth.
  • sarahanncarson
    sarahanncarson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i was going through something similar for a little while. what turned me around was putting in the time and effort to finding new recipes and meal plans that made me want to eat right. self sabotage is #1 for me. i fight it all the time. but since i've concentrated my efforts into my meal plans i've done well. let me know if you want help with recipes :)
  • gingameister
    gingameister Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have found that taking it slow and not getting over zealous has been the key for me.

I couldn't agree more. I've tried over the years but did it too fast. I wanted instant results. I wanted to lose two stone in two months, run 5K in the first run. It's not realistic, and that's what we must be.

By taking it slowly, I've been able to lose 28lbs at 2lb per week and get to running 5 miles by doing the C25K program, which getting you running slowly.

Take this slowly and it will happen, I promise. 8-)
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Falling is not quitting but giving up is. We all fall from time to time, have bad days, weeks, months, but what matters is getting back on the horse and keep pushing forward.

If you give up completely and just start a free for all and eat whatever you want all the time, it will just put you in a worse position then you are and may even make you feel 10 times worse and that is going to get you no where.

Don't look at the big picture, start taking things day by day. Do your best today and worry about tomorrow then. If you make mistakes today, tomorrow is a new day to try again, but if you give up you will NEVER get to your goals.

You are the only one standing in your way. Maybe you just need to have something more structured and regimented, maybe that would help you stick to it?

Good luck and DON'T give up, you will only be giving up on you, love you for who you are and accept that there are going to bumps in the road but getting over those bumps and progressing it was matters :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    At least you're exercising regularly.

I realize for many people a number on the scale or the size of your jeans is more important than fitness but my personal belief is that fitness should be your first priority. You can be fit and healthy while still carrying some extra weight (it's not ideal but it's better than being a skinny couch potato).

In respect to your diet being "horrible" try making a series of small changes rather than overhauling it all at once. I suspect that many people feel deprived and overwhelmed by trying to fix everything all at once. Think in terms of baby steps.......it may take longer but you still get to your destination.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I agree - you do have to be 'ready to change your lifestyle and change the way you eat.

That being said, if you have a bad day it does NOT mean that you're not ready yet. Habits are hard to change and it seems like bad habits are the hardest to break. Make some small changes rather than trying to do everything at once and I think you'll have better success, and success leads to more motivation. You're here, you've begun. Don't let "I'm not ready" become yet another excuse.

I've been having to remind myself if this lately:

521475_10151636449745200_1133158168_n.jpg
  • NSP85
    NSP85 Posts: 27
    Options
    When will you be ready? It's the main question to ask yourself. I use to think that i'd deal with my weight maybe after university when I wasn't so stressed studying and then I put it off till after I found a good steady job and was financially secure. I just kept procrastinating and not happy with the way I looked.

Small changes help but really soul search and determine when you'll be ready. When will you put your health first? When will you put YOU first!
  • zephyrhythm
    zephyrhythm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i like your attitude toward 'being human' - thanks!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    OR, maybe you just need a new perspective or a different approach. It's hard to give specific advice without knowing exactly what you've been doing but I think you posting this means you might be ready and you're just looking for some input.

If your calorie goal seems too low and you're always struggling, how about increasing it by 100-200 calories per day?

Or you could take a week's vacation from logging and have a better attitude about it when you get back.

If you've been eating a lot of sweets, I find that's a vicious cycle. The more of them I eat, the more of them I want. It's a tough habit to break but if you plan your meals and snacks really well, you should be able to avoid the hunger and after a few days those cravings will subside. I like snacking on steel cut oats with craisins. It's sweet and very filling so I'm not tempted to grab sweets in the afternoon.

P.S. I hope you don't decide to give up. Even if you're just exercising, you're still doing something good for yourself!
  • tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support! I will not give up and will refocus. One day at a time!!
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am working through this at the moment. Have lost 11 pounds over the last few months but I have started to sabotage myself since new years. I am now between 3-4 pounds heavier. I know it is because I am eating crap but I can't seem to stop eating it. I have got into a pattern now and I need to focus and get past this hurdle. The annoying thing is that I was really looking great and I know it's only 4 pounds but it does affect your confidence.
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Just take it one day at a time, tiny changes. This is HARD -- if it wasn't we'd all be thin! But I have faith in you :-)
    We're all here for you! Log crappy days, log great days... don't quit until the miracle happens!
  • wendydeal
    wendydeal Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You definetely have to make up your mind. Throughout 2012 I started and stopped many times, but this time it's like something has clicked and my mind is set. Maybe you could try changing one thing at a time instead of everything at once. (cut back on sweets,skip dessert, no soft drinks, etc) The good thing is that you are already exercising which is a big plus! Hang in there and dont try to figure it all out at once. One day at a time....