I'll take all the advice I can get.

Options
I'm 26 years old and about 5'9 and weigh 200 lbs. At my heaviest I was 207 & that was last month... I shed the 7 lbs which was probably water weight. I'm looking to lose about 50 more lbs by the end of the summer... any help/advice is appreciated. Friends to talk to as well while I try to shed this weight.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit + exercise.
  • cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give you is to educate yourself. There is lots of knowledge out there (some good, some bad). I would recommend starting with learning about BMR, TDEE and calorie deficits.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like :smile:
  • anthonyt086
    Options
    Thanks! I have the exercise and calorie deficit part down. I just recently learned about the BMR, haven't researched the other one though. I'm pretty bad about logging my calories. I do it but most of the time it's just a guess unless i'm scanning a label.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    never eat yellow snow
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    never eat yellow snow
    :laugh:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Plan. Be sensible. Be patient.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, however TO ME, 50lbs seems like a lot of weight to lose if you're already at 200, for a 5'9 male. If you're wanting to put on muscle and lose fat, 150 will seems too low for your stats.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    No ATM.

Best advice I've ever got.
  • runningwild00
    Options
    I'm 26 years old and about 5'9 and weigh 200 lbs. At my heaviest I was 207 & that was last month... I shed the 7 lbs which was probably water weight. I'm looking to lose about 50 more lbs by the end of the summer... any help/advice is appreciated. Friends to talk to as well while I try to shed this weight.

What has helped me is understanding portion size! I didnt realize previously I was using so much salad dressing....which added up to almost 350-400 calories....Oy.
    Maybe check out your portions (2 slices of pizza, instead of 3, etc). That can help cut calories real quick and get you nice and healthy.
  • runningwild00
    Options
    never eat yellow snow

Doesn't that have the most nutrients????
  • angela9887
    angela9887 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Don't drink calories or empty calories i should say. i can't really knock a protein shake because i haven't had one. Drink have your weight in ounces of water daily. being hydrated really does make a difference on how your body burns calories. I would suggest getting a heart rate monitor that shows how many calories you've burned during exercise. that way you'll know for sure!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have the exercise and calorie deficit part down.
    I'm pretty bad about logging my calories. I do it but most of the time it's just a guess unless i'm scanning a label.

Those two comments are likely at odds with each other. If you have the exercise and calorie deficit part down, you WILL lose weight.

The only other part is to make sure you get adequate nutrients, but beyond that, diet and exercise are all there are when it comes to losing weight.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have the exercise and calorie deficit part down. I just recently learned about the BMR, haven't researched the other one though. I'm pretty bad about logging my calories. I do it but most of the time it's just a guess unless i'm scanning a label.
    Also, if you don't really know how many calories you're eating, get a kitchen scale, measuring tools, and weigh foods that aren't already portioned out. Read labels for serving sizes, calories, sugars, fats, proteins, etc. Getting a grasp on how much you're eating and or how little you're eating is just as important as exercise & burning calories!
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    if you can handle eating nothing but fresh fruits and vegies and lean cuts of meat. Lay off soy, corn, gluten, eggs, dairy, sugar/artificial sweeteners (except stevia) and peanuts you will lose. I am losing a 1+ lbs a day using this method.

Look up www.thevirgindiet.com.

Or "the 7 foods to avoid method"
  • anthonyt086
    Options
    Thank you. This is all very helpful.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options