Maybe I am not ready??

Options
2»

Replies

• patrnbabe
    Options
    Make the small changes you ARE ready to make. Not everyone can jump into the deep end of the pool to learn to swim. Choose one or two things you're willing to change now. Ease into a new way of eating. You shouldn't be on a "diet", but on a healthier eating path for life. Celebrate your small victories, and when they become ingrained habits, pick the next thing you're ready to change and move forward.

For me, it took nearly 10 years to pack on the weight, and it'll probably take 10 years to get rid of it. I can't cook two meals every day (one for me and one for the family) but I can make small changes and still eat with everyone else. Reducing portion sizes and finding a protein / complex carb balance can be a win-win for everyone.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I started with getting daily exercise fixed into my routine. Took me about a month. Then I got on MFP and started logging my intake. Didn't set dates to get started, didn't plan to change things by particular dates. Just did it.

My take on it is that if you plan to do x by date y, you can also find enough excuses NOT to do it. Don't plan to start tommorow, start today. Doesn't matter if it isn't perfect, just get used to one change at a time. Start tracking your regular intake, take an apple for afternoon snack instead of a bar of some kind, drink diet soda instead of regular, have your coffee without sugar etc. Next year you'll be amazed about the effect of all those small changes combined.

Go for it!

Edited to add that enjoying the good life isn't a bad thing. Just enjoy in moderation. I for sure didn't say goodby to cheese, chocolate and wine! ;-)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support! I will not give up and will refocus. One day at a time!!
    You are exercising, that's awesome, your body loves you for it!!! So you are doing good things for your body even if you're not quite where you want to be food wise. Switch it around to a positive and think about what it would be like if you weren't getting your workouts in.

Sometimes working on one or the other at the beginning is best to do, it works for some. Concentrate on what you're doing right and the rest will follow.

:wink:
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    you have half of the battle done. you exercise. What i did was come here and try my best to log..even though i wasn't ready either. But i knew it would click and finally i'd be ready to just do it.

I started last week..and now with one week done..it is getting easier..and i'm starting to exercise too. keep coming here and trying...you will do it.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    you have half of the battle done. you exercise. What i did was come here and try my best to log..even though i wasn't ready either. But i knew it would click and finally i'd be ready to just do it.

I started last week..and now with one week done..it is getting easier..and i'm starting to exercise too. keep coming here and trying...you will do it.
    :drinker:
  • mperales00
    Options
    Just remember that you don't have to drastically change everything at once. That in itself may be overwhelming. Maybe you should try incorporating small changes to your diet and progress as you feel comfortable. Small changes can really add up!