My step kids won't eat anything nutritious!

Options

Replies

• MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You could use my method and see if it works, I share custody with my ex-husband and he has his own, not so healthy, choices that he makes for my daughter and I choose healthy 90% of the time.

I make only one meal for everyone in the house and if she does not like it then it's either sit at the table till her plate is empty or she can go straight to bed hungry and she will get nothing but water from that point onward. At first she refused and would go to bed hungry and be upset (she is 4 so she does need to eat, but some lessons need to be learned) and would cry for maybe 10 minutes then settle down and then go to bed since there is no other option but eating the food on the plate. It took 3 tries before she started eating most of what was on her plate and then I would offer to give her a nice dessert (chocolate pudding with a bit of whip cream) if she finished her plate. This also took about 3 tries before she started finishing her plate and now when she finishes maybe 25% of the time she will actually want her dessert and a good chunk of the time she has now started asking for carrot sticks instead. SHOCKING!

This may not be a method that can work for you, but you never know :)

Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You think you have it bad? My kid just turned down a trip to McDonald's! She said McDonald's was unhealthy! She's 5, is that too late to leave her in a basket at the police station?

LOL...my Toddler is turning 3 in March and I asked him this morning if he wanted to go to Chuckie Cheese for his birthday. He's a very sweet kid...he asked me if it would hurt my food (he means my diary) and then said he didn't want to go if it would hurt my food because he wanted me to be strong and be able to take care of him for a long time. We're going...I told him one day wasn't going to do any damage and he had a big ol' smile on his face.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I'd quit making food the issue. They'll eat when they're hungry especially if you don't make a big deal out of them not eating -- just wrap up their food and let them know they can have it later if they get hungry. The one thing I would correct is the "never hide their disgust" thing at dinner time but that's just because I'm big on manners and that wouldn't be acceptable to me.

This. My kids have come around. They still get treats but enjoy the healthy food also. I'm not cooking 2 dinners...they will eat what I eat.
  • Earguy
    Earguy Posts: 35
    Options
    I wasn't able to glean the ages of the children, however...

Make it clear that treats, junk food and unhealthy foods are something that should be rare in their lives. You're teaching this because it's important and you love them. But don't make the junk food a reward, especially at first. It will reinforce bad habits when they're old enough to be on their own. So no "great game! Let's get McDonalds!"

I would be inclined to have a talk with them about food in general. What they like, and what they don't. Give them a say in what the meals will be in the house, and have them participate in its preparation. Make it fun. Maybe start out with one day a week the "kids make dinner."

It's hard for them to turn up their noses at meals they make themselves.

You could let the kids tell you what they want (pizza, etc) and get wholesome recipes that can be made at home. No, it won't taste the same as pizza hut, so it's important to have the kids help every step of the way so they'll be more accepting when it's on the table.

Here's a good article:
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=9522
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You could use my method and see if it works, I share custody with my ex-husband and he has his own, not so healthy, choices that he makes for my daughter and I choose healthy 90% of the time.

I make only one meal for everyone in the house and if she does not like it then it's either sit at the table till her plate is empty or she can go straight to bed hungry and she will get nothing but water from that point onward. At first she refused and would go to bed hungry and be upset (she is 4 so she does need to eat, but some lessons need to be learned) and would cry for maybe 10 minutes then settle down and then go to bed since there is no other option but eating the food on the plate. It took 3 tries before she started eating most of what was on her plate and then I would offer to give her a nice dessert (chocolate pudding with a bit of whip cream) if she finished her plate. This also took about 3 tries before she started finishing her plate and now when she finishes maybe 25% of the time she will actually want her dessert and a good chunk of the time she has now started asking for carrot sticks instead. SHOCKING!

This may not be a method that can work for you, but you never know :)

Good luck!

Sounds like what my parents did. She'll grow up liking lots of different kinds of foods (because you are making her try them) and contrary to popular belief she will still like and love you even though you aren't trying to be her best friend. Sounds like great parenting to me ;)
  • Earguy
    Earguy Posts: 35
    Options
    Oh, and don't have snacks and similar in the house. Otherwise they'll sneak it later. "This is what's in the house" is a powerful tool.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My kids aren't super picky, but they have their moments. We have a "this is the meal, eat it or not, your choice, but don't be rude" rule. If they choose not to at least try their food (which for my kids is a couple bites) , that fine, they can go play. The meal will sit on the table, and whenever they are hungry, they can try it. Until then, no other food. If they give it a genuine try, they can pick something else to eat. The "something else" is not a highly desirable food (grilled cheese for my kids, lol) it is something boring like a peanut butter sandwich.

Our other policy is that if they want a second serving, they need to finish the vegetables on their plate first.

Forcing kids to finish their full plate or eat food they hate is a recipe for disordered eating. Ellyn Satter is an expert on this and there is a ton of good info on her website. Ellynsatter.com. I have no connection to her, just passing on info from friends who have used her methods with success.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I don't know how old the kids are, but once my kids started turning their noses up at our meals, we put them on timeouts until they were ready to eat. We didn't set a time limit, just put them away from the family on a step until THEY decided they wanted to eat. If it lasted the whole meal, well they didn't eat and went to bed hungry. Usually only lasted about 5 minutes (if that) before they decided they would eat. And if they DIDN'T eat, they got the "this is what's for dinner and you get nothing else all night" routine. Only took a couple of times and no problems.
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I'm a tough love kind of dad.... my kids eat what I make or they don't eat.... and guess what? They eat. And they have great BMIs.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I believe the saying is "CPS requires that you provide food and nourishment. It doesnt say that they have to eat it."

I agree with the - if you keep making a big deal about it, it will only get worse. Not to mention there could be other divorce/mom/dad/step mom issues going on.

Eventually they will be old enough to decide whether or not to see you and your husband. I wouldnt want to push them away.
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I also am a believer in not making a kid clean a plate...and definitely not rewarded with a treat only when doing so...

I feel this just sets the child up for food issues later. I do however require them to take a few bites of vegetables I know they will eat before they can be done, even if they did a good job on the main dish.

My 4 and 5 year olds are testing the manners on the seeing dinner and making negative comments....it is a direct sentence of sitting on your bed to think about your behavior.....I will not allow disrespect like that...and it is already less frequent.

I think it is normal for kids to hit that stage, especially when they hear it a lot from the other kids at school meals..
  • 52in13
    52in13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You are in for a long hard road!

When I met my step-daughter, she was 3 years old and would only eat carbs (mashed potatoes and french fries, buiscuits and rolls). She might have eaten the occassional applesauce, but that is it! I am soooo not exaggerating.

She had her father convinced she had a touchy gag reflex and would throw up when he tried to force her to eat something she "didn't like."

Enter me, stubborn as all get out and determined to be a good parent (my child is 4 years older).

She tried to make herself throw up when I forced her to eat a hot dog and I promised her that I would make her eat another, if she did.

We spent many a meal time and many a night fighting with her and eachother over her lack of "gusto" at the table. It took well over a year, and lots of spankings (since my hubby wouldn't let her go to be hungry) but she gradually started eating, but almost 4 years later and I still have to force her to eat her meat first, her veggies next, and carbs last. (She usually doesn't last long enough to eat the carbs because she either runs out of time or room in her "eat like a bird" belly.) And, you know what, she enjoys hot dogs and many other foods that she wouldn't touch before. She even takes pride when she tries something and likes it.

(Oh, and she is restricted from snacks and deserts unless she finished the previous meal.)

I do not envy you your battle, but you can overcome it.
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Simple. I'd tell them "Eat dinner now, or eat breakfast tomorrow. Your choice." Keep all good food in your house so even if they try to sneak food, they'll still have to sneak good food. (fruit etc).
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Don't even have the bad stuff in the house as an option. Put the food on their plates if they don't eat, they get up from the table and that is it. There isn't anything else. If they get hungry later tell them you have saved their plate of food for dinner. That is how it works wtih my son. Things are getting better.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I didn't read all of the responses, but I agree that you just should stop making it an issue. The reality is, it is most likely a power struggle and since you can't literally force them to eat, they will win. At our house, we have family meals and you can either choose to eat or not eat, however, you must sit with the family during mealtime. Dessert may be offered if they have eaten healthy food first, but it is not used to bribe them to eat or as a reward for eating. If they choose not to eat, it's perfectly fine with me. If they are hungry later, they can have their skipped meal reheated or wait until the next meal (I won't withhold food later as a punishment for not eating during mealtime).

The only time we've had an issue is when my ds at around age 8 started not eating dinner and then getting up just after bed time and sneaking protein bars or snack type foods. It did get to where we started putting a video monitor on him to make sure he stopped doing this at night. After he learned that sneaking food at night wasn't going to fly, it's been better. But he's got some behavioral issues related to this kind of thing that we're working on.

The issue of them not hiding their disgust is a problem too in my opinion. At our house, if you don't like something, you simply say "thank you, but this doesn't suit my palate". I know it sounds weird, but I don't want my kids saying "that's gross" or something like that. We encourage them to try new foods and they almost always do, but never force the issue, because again, I don't want to get into a power struggle with my kids over food.

Anyway, I think you have the right idea of just making mealtime a relaxing and enjoyable time where they will see you guys enjoying your food. More than likely, if there is no pressure to eat, they will go ahead and eat.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the comments others posted about not making them finish their plate or making an issue out of food. Believe me, when kids are hungry they will eat. The more you give in the harder it will be. Just be firm with it, this is what I am cooking and eat it or don't.
  • asmithstl
    Options
    You think you have it bad? My kid just turned down a trip to McDonald's! She said McDonald's was unhealthy! She's 5, is that too late to leave her in a basket at the police station?

This is awesome! My son would rather an apple to a candy bar any day!

I just posted it on another Board, but check out the cook book deceptively delicious - it takes foods kids normally likes and offers recipies to make them healthier meal without tasting or looking different.
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    What works for someone else doesn't always work for your family. I have a blended family and there are many issues to overcome and I have learned to pick my battles. Food is not one of them. You just need to decide if it is worth it. In my own experience, I have come to realize that kids just do not have much of palette until they start getting older. Given I have several kids in the house, we have a range of eating habits. One is vegetarian, one will only eat peanut butter or chicken nuggets etc. So I just go with it and have more important household issues to tackle.

My husband and I have this look now when one of the kids eats something new. Since we have taken the laid back approach they have become less combative at meal time.

Good Luck!

^^^^This! My steps were 3 and 2 when I became part their lives and mom and her team dictated all new food introductions. For over a year all they wanted was white bread, cheez whiz, broccoli and orange juice (and their bottles) We would try teddy grahams, chicken, jello and they wouldn't touch it. During the next visit, seems mom had tried new foods and we needed to re-stock the kitchen. As quoted...pick your battles particularly if they're with you part-time. Best to establish a strong loving foundation than have a food fight each visit.

And best of luck!!
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I believe the saying is "CPS requires that you provide food and nourishment. It doesnt say that they have to eat it."

I agree with the - if you keep making a big deal about it, it will only get worse. Not to mention there could be other divorce/mom/dad/step mom issues going on.

Eventually they will be old enough to decide whether or not to see you and your husband. I wouldnt want to push them away.

Yup....hence picking one's battles.
  • purrmeow
    purrmeow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My grandson (age 4) is like this. He often loudly declares "I HATE FOOD!" I've tried just ignoring the food and beverage issue, and that was a bad plan. He ended up in the hospital because he got so dehydrated at my house. He wouldn't accept a single thing I offered him all weekend! I feel like I'm constantly coaxing him to accept something. Some days are better than others. I've found that if I keep at him, I can get a few bites and sips down him.

He's much the same with his mom at home; it's not just my house.

Have you taken him to the doctor? Maybe there's something else that's making him not want to eat. If he didn't eat all weekend and had to go to the hospital, I think there's something wrong with him since most would have eaten by then.