No, Seriously: How do you learn to eat vegetables?

Options

Replies

• haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I use frozen veggies and either defrost them or cook from frozen:
    Pour a little extra virgin olive oil on top and put them in the oven for 20 mins
    or
    Skip the oil and have them with reduced salt and sugar tomato ketchup
    or
    Eat a small piece with something else, like sweet potato or chicken to mask the taste.

The KEY step is to start small and work your way up. I now eat 900g of broccoli/cauliflower a day and find it very simple. I would eat more, but eating much much gets expensive.
  • Greg3705
    Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I experimented with new kinds till I found stuff I like and I eat my favorites often. I could have spinach with every meal
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Try cutting them very small and adding them to soups and pasta sauces.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I not only HATED veggies but I had never been exposed to anything healthy while growing up. I couldn't identify most of the food in the produce section (I'm still working on this) much less know how to cook or handle it.

I started with smoothies. Combine your favorite fruits with small amounts of veggies. Like a banana, apple (cored), handful of spinach and whatever liquid you want (juice, milk, yogurt, water). Build your way up slowly to adding more greens. Eventually try to use some kale in place of spinach. I also add a small amount of carrots, broccoli or whatever else I can toss in from time to time. What I found is this helped me adjust my taste buds until I become more comfortable with the veggies (I'm still working on this).

Now, I try to incorporate them in my meals. I started small and worked up. I've heard of people cutting them into tiny pieces and adding them to sauces and things of that nature where you can't taste them. You get some health benefits without having to taste them.

Right now I have a huge pot of veggie stew in my fridge and it's WONDERFUL. It was quick and simple and not insulting to my picky taste buds. I simply used a large can (64 oz) of tomato juice, added a shredded head of cabbage, chopped broccoli, chopped cauliflower, chopped baby carrots, 4 potatoes cubed and some seasonings. I added enough water to cover, I didn't measure this step. I probably could have easily tossed some spinach and/or kale in there and not noticed it. I brought that to a boil and then simmered it for about an hour or until the potatoes and veggies were tender. I drop a handful of shredded cheese on it because I'm an addict and there you have a mostly healthy veggie meal :)

Good luck and stick with it. Experiment with cooking styles. I also learned that I like veggies steamed to almost mush while others like a crispy veggie. See what works for you.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to juice them? Or like the post above says, put them in soups and sauces. I love veggies though, so the answer to that is hard.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I did have to force myself to eat more fresh vegetables. I may not have hated them to the capacity that you did, though (and I mean this in a supportive way, not as a criticism). As a rule, I typically prefer warm food to cold food. However, once I did sort of force myself to eat my greens and get some of the more bitter tasting veggies down, that I actually started to want them. I HATED kale, but I read about how nutritionally sound it is, and made myself eat it. Now, I like it. I am fortunate that there is an oil and vinegar shop next to my job that sells very delicious (ie not bitter or pungent) vinegars and olive oils. Right now I'm snacking on some greens with just a sprinkle of strawberry vinegar on them, which makes them much sweeter for maybe 1 calorie. Not that you have to do that, but experiment with flavors as others have suggested. I no longer do the Weight Watchers program, but here is a link to a really good vegetable soup recipe that I recommend:

http://www.food.com/recipe/weight-watchers-0-point-garden-vegetable-soup-318471
  • Sililily115
    Options
    Open mouth... put veggie in mouth... close mouth... bite... move jaw up and down several times... swollow.

thats how I do it.

Haha so true, the more I eat something the better it tastes. Also if I am more hungry more things taste good
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Try cutting them very small and adding them to soups and pasta sauces.

You just reminded me I will cook and puree carrots and throw them into my tomato sauce...pumpkin tastes good in there too.

Here's a nice article with some ideas.

http://greatist.com/health/40-unexpected-ways-to-add-veggies-to-a-meal-031212/
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Juicing has helped me a lot!!! Try adding things in that hide the taste like pineapple and lemon =) I hate veggies to but I am getting better =)
  • escolol
    Options
    dont look at it as food or veggies, look at it as fuel and nourishment, just down it with water
  • asmithstl
    Options
    There is a cook book called "deceptivley delicious". It has lots of recipies that are super healthy, with veggies hidden in them. It works great for kids --- and grown ups!
  • ilovethelaw07
    Options
    Try cooking them different ways. One of my favorite ways is to roast them, 425 F for 25 to 35 minutes, or until tender. Drizzle with a little olive oil and season if you want to. Try chunks of sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, parsnips, green peppers, onions. Asparagus is also divine roasted. You can also roast brussel sprouts and cauliflower.... pretty much most veggies. When you roast peppers and onions, be sure to leave them in big chunks or they'll burn.

Good luck!

Agreed! Roasting with a little olive oil is great!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Google "green smoothie recipe". You end up consuming a lot of vegetables that way without having to chew them or look at them :)
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Sad! Sorry. I love veggies and it didn't come from the way I was raised.. my mom liked putting butter on all vegetables and boiling them hard... if there were vegetables at all. What I mostly remember was that nasty corn//carrot/green bean/lima bean frozen mixture... hated that stuff. Dad would put in a garden though.. so us kids would go out there and ate everything... not every year though.

I have 2 boys ages 5 and 3 that will decimate broccoli as I bring it into the house. I'll be unpacking the car still and it's like they can smell broccoli through the shopping bag. They grab broccoli and run. All I'll find later and the big stalks. I peel that and save it for soup. I just love that they like veggies so much. I think what has really helped with that is that we put a garden in every year.. the kids help till, plant, water, pull weeds, and pick. Because they helped from the start it makes them more proud of it and they'll eat veggies like crazy. We don't have much junk food around the house though. I buy a box of mac and cheese about once a month. Every once in awhile I'll get a box of ramen noodles (twice a year). Other than that it's all homemade from scratch. I would say processed foods 'taste' better.. but I think you get used to food that is homemade and better for you if the other option isn't even there. My 5 year old cries if we're out to eat and one of us gets a salad and he doesn't... and he really does eat it all. I make Hidden Valley ranch from the dry package.. it's the best tasting dressing imo. For us grown-ups I make it with 3/4 fat free mayo, 1/4 regular mayo. I wouldn't eat salad if I had to eat it was a dressing I didn't like.

Get the other stuff out of the picture.. the good tasting junk-type foods. I have at least 1 and usually 2 vegetables for dinner, 1 starch and meat.. or a dish with some meat in it. More than 1 vegetable option for a meal is a good idea. Potion out your starch and meat so that if that's all you eat you'd leave the table hungry. Will help encourage the desire to fill up with vegetables. Vegetables are so cheap too. Beef is $3.50/# +, chicken breast is at least $2.50/#.. broccoli crown are about $1.40/#, yellow squash about the same... you can really stretch a meal for the money and calories by making at least half as vegetables.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    I'm another one that just grew up going to pick-your-own farms, farmers markets, working in my grandma's garden, etc. so I've always loved most veggies, but all I can say is keep trying them different ways.

Some studies say that for a child developing it's taste, it can take up to 20 rejections before they learn to like something. I've seen this in action with my 3.5 year old. He used to spit out most veggies, but now loves any beans, tomatoes, cucumber, and will eat green beans, brocolli, collards (!), and pretty much all fruit or sweet veggies like squash and sweet potatoes.

I'd start with a roasted root veggie dish. The natural sweetness in carrots, parsnips, butternut squash, and sweet potatoes are easy for most people to love. Once you master this, add (fresh, not the boxed frozen slimy) brussels sprouts, halved to the mix.

Get a pan large enough to fit your veggies, and cut them all into about 1" cubes or at least similar sizesof peeled root vegetables. Toss with olive oil or spray with cooking spray, place them in one layer on the pan, and roast at 450 degrees until you can stick a fork in fairly easily.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    About juicing--I think that's a waste, frankly. One of the most valuable things vegetables contribute is fiber, which helps you stay full.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Put them in sauces, soups, stews, casseroles, etc.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I loved veggies always, but maybe try a stir fry?
  • kellyraesmik
    kellyraesmik Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I suggest blending them and adding to sauces (such as spaghetti sauce) to "sneak" them in. Or if you like smoothies its real easy to sneak in a carrot or some spinach or kale! You'll barely notice them with sweet fruits.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I hate food. (Ironic, isn't it? Considering I packed on the pounds, but I had a serious addiction to venti Starbucks coffees, and I did like *certain* foods... Seriously. Coffee. It's my weakness.) Although, that's seriously overstated there, but it is true that I dislike *most* foods. Before I changed things upside down, my favorite saying was: "I can taste the green!!" And it's true, I could.

I hated every vegetable known to man (just about), except for carrots, potatoes, and all different kinds of beans. If it was green, though? Gross! (except green beans, but I never claimed this made sense!!)

As I changed my eating habits and cut out all the sugar (boy was I spoiling my tastebuds BIG TIME), I noticed that my tastes have changed. A LOT. Over time, I've even developed a taste for SALADs. I seek them out sometimes, even. Gasp! Now, there's a lot of vegetables I just don't like and will never like, but I'm growing more and more into liking the "borderline" ones now. I even tried broccoli and "couldn't taste the green" and "almost" liked it. Almost. Work-in-progress.

Eating healthier has made me want healthier things.

So I'd say, maybe start slow and see what you like and how you like it. I still can't stand lettuce on a sandwich (I'm big on texture and that just grosses me out), but I can eat (most) salads now.

Plus, I started rationalizing trying vegetables with "These are lower calorie. By eating this rubbish, I can eat more STEAK *and* get a coffee after dinner!" I'd eat the things I didn't like first, then the stuff I loved was the "reward". A way to positively reinforce my behavior. Plus, coffee is my ultimate reward if I have the calories for it. COFFEE.

This is what worked for me!

Though it's done nothing for my coffee addiction, but I've cut down my coffees to 10 calories or less!