Protein Shakes

Options
Hey there!!

Looking to add protein shakes in my diet. There's so many of them, any recommendations? Now, I don't want to "BULK" up, my focus is to loose the weight. So confused!!!!!

Replies

• jlfoster0427
    Options
    I am also thinking about doing protein shakes for breakfast but dont know a whole lot about them. Do they save you any calories from a normal breakfast? How can you incorporate them into your diet? are they really healthy?
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    You in America... So Jay Robb. Tastes amazing and good macros! X
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Think of protein shakes as a supplement. Its just extra protein. And it can not bulk you up, especially since youre a women.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake after I workout because I read that your body absorbs protein better then because it wants it to repair the muscles. You won't bulk up. You want to build muscle to burn fat. My favourite of all that I have tried was MyoFusion in the Cinnamon Roll flavour. Soooooo good.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Read the label, get the one that fits the nutritional gaps you are trying to fill. There are tons of different brands. You may have to try several to find one that fits your budget, goals, tastes, and dietary restrictions.

My favorites are
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Natural
    Gaspari Myofusion
    Trutein

If you get something that is mostly protein with little or no carbs or fat, you can mix them with carbs and fat and create your own meal replacement concoction. For example, chocolate whey, milk, banana, peanut butter, and ice = deliciousness.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Btw, its all about personal preference.... i like eas and body fortress... there isnt one that is better than the other.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I like Shaklee 180. They are great. I think protein shakes are also great because you can add fruit to them to make a great smoothie. I use them in place of a meal, and they do keep me full for 3-4 hours... which is great because I try not to go longer than 4 hours without eating something small. I love Cafe Latte flavor, and its only 250 calories with a glass of skim milk.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Most of the women I know prefer liquid protein shots....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0053HKAJG/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1357946096&sr=8-1&pi=SL75
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Can't help, I drink them all the time and got suuuuper bulky.

(sarcasm font)
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't exercise...it results in bulking up.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes =/= Bulk.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

No, you got bulky from lifting.

I do drink protein shakes daily, and protein itself will not make you bulky any more than carbs or fat will make you bulky. It's just a macronutrient that your body needs. I try to get 40-50% of my diet in protein every day. It definitely makes me feel and look better.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    "Man am I bulky, must be the protein shakes" - no one ever
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Hey there!!

Looking to add protein shakes in my diet. There's so many of them, any recommendations? Now, I don't want to "BULK" up, my focus is to loose the weight. So confused!!!!!
    Women cannot 'bulk up'.

With that clarified, I like Optimum Nutrition. I have a shake after a workout with peanut butter and half a frozen banana.
  • shanpwn
    shanpwn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    As everyone said, protein shakes definitely won't make you bulky. Women simply can NOT get bulky without adding in certain hormones or steroids. I use whey protein to supplement and reach my protein macros. I prefer Optimum Nutrition or Dymatize Elite Gourmet. I mix them with unsweetened almond milk. They make a big difference in my workout performance and how I feel.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Hey there!!

I was the most skeptical person ever about this - but i have been converted!! Best discovery ever! You can read my thoughts here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/806664-anyone-tried-isagenix?page=2#posts-12158172
  • psuLemon
    Options

Love that sarcasm lol..
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition

I included it in my diet to help me meet my protein needs.

And fyi - unless you are planning on also including anabolic steroids or some other method of messing with your testosterone levels - you won't bulk up.
  • cshelto44
    cshelto44 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I ended up with Gnc Lean Shake (mixed berry) and I love it. Bulking up was my biggest fear, don't want to do that. Trying to go down in weight not up.
  • MzAries252
    MzAries252 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am also looking for good protein shakes to try. I am considering trying the Special K Protein shakes or anything similar to it. I have looked on the GNC website and I don't know whats the difference between whey, egg or milk based protein shakes. All of this is very new to me so all advice will be very helpful. Thanks in advance :flowerforyou: