Ideas for pain management

Options
I am just wondering what you do to manage the pain your body goes through in the beginning. I work very hard as a CNA and I am in constant agony in my hips knees and especially my feet. I take Aleve a few times a day and soak and my fiance even rubs my feet and joints throughout the day, but Im still VERY sore. Id like to add extra exercise to my weight loss plan but as of right now I just dont see how its possible. I dont want to cause an injury.

I dont know if there are some gentle stretches or a supplement or something that can help....

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Absolutely anecdotal but, I take fish oil now. Omega 3's. Probably losing weight is the best answer.
    I played through the pain at first.
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Um.... I am losing weight.... Thats why Im here.... :wink:
  • tanniew78
    Options
    Besides its hard work taking care of someone else. VERY physical. I know people that are smaller than me that have alot of pain too. Theirs is mostly in their back though.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Icy hot and tiger balm work for my knees. There are some braces that might help.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Icy hot and tiger balm work for my knees. There are some braces that might help.
    Oh ya, I wore knee and ankle braces (elastic or neoprene) until I felt better.
  • IronGirlShae
    IronGirlShae Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have chronic pain too. Today my neck/shoulder is so bad I can't move my head. I like the elliptical because it is a lot easier on my joints. Swimming and water aerobics are amazing too. I was the only lady in the class under 50, but it was a lot of fun. Stretching and yoga are always good, regular massages help me cope when I can afford them. I like herbal teas too, you can find some in the ethnic section/ethnic markets sometimes like Tila or Passiflora which relax your mind and muscles without making you drowsy. I make sure to get plenty of potassium so my muscles don't cramp, and I take baths with baking soda and lots of epsom salts. The magnesium is also good for aches and muscle pain.

Also, losing weight really did help my pain, when I was skinny my feet were much better. I had to focus on diet for months until I was light enough to do regular exercise. I just increased a little bit steadily and eventually I could run on an elliptical for an hour, no problem. Just be patient with yourself and do your best. You will get there, don't worry.

I hope it helps!
  • tanniew78
    Options
    I was actually just thinking that swimming would be a good form of exercise for now because it would keep the weight off my feet. Id have to check into gym memberships for that and go in the am after I take my lil one to school.
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I would suggest swimming would be great. I swim after my gym workout as I find it easier to stretch out in the pool and it gives me a cardio workout. If possible visit the stream room if there is one at your pool and stretch in there too.
  • heymirth
    heymirth Posts: 448
    Options
    BIOFREEZE is awesome
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    BIOFREEZE is awesome

^^^This!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's great to exercise for fitness but you can totally lose weight with diet only. Maybe you need to work on weight loss first and then as you get lighter your joints may not ache as much.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    For your joints....Glucosamine

For workouts, lower your impact exercise

Also, you should not take Aleive more than twice a day
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    maintenance spankings....

:indifferent:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I was actually just thinking that swimming would be a good form of exercise for now because it would keep the weight off my feet. Id have to check into gym memberships for that and go in the am after I take my lil one to school.

If you are looking at options, deep water aerobics was designed to help runners recover from knee injuries. I always thought it felt like getting a massage with my workout.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Here’s my 2.5 cents

Shy away from the drugs. Research it -- taking NSAIDs actually trains your body to not fix itself. I'm not saying never take them, just be judicious.

Omega 3 and Gloucosamine should help. Eat clean and drink drink drink drink (water not whiskey). Staying hydrated will help a ton.
    Stretching before and after your shift, well as each morning and evening is essential. Check youtube for some great ideas for each specific area.

Look at compression socks, sleeves and kinesio tape (like K-T tape)

And thank you so much for your service to others as a CNA!!
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I agree with compression socks and supportive shoes. I stand on my feet all day being a hairstylist/colorist. I think this is the only reason I don't have horribly vericose veins in my legs and that my feet aren't killing me.
  • mbrickle
    Options
    I'm a nurse so I feel your pain...literally! I also have a massively herniated L5 in my back.

That being said, the best exercise is going to be low impact. That means swimming and walking on the treadmill. I find a get a really great workout when I put the speed to 3.0-3.4 and increase the incline to 6.5-7.5!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    MSM helps with joint pain. the emergen-c with msm packets added to water are good
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    drink lots of h2o. i have so much pain if i am not drinking it. its like it helps lube the joints
  • fmebear
    fmebear Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have chronic pain in my lower back after multiple surgeries. Yes, I do have my muscle relaxers/pain killers but I am working on losing weight to MINIMIZE the use. Currently, after losing 15 lbs it has helped in pain being less but I also have been using Sore No More from Vitamin Cottage. But stretching my lower back, hips also helps after working out. I also use the electric blanket to keep my muscles warm during the night.