help! can't workout!

Options
due to serious back and neck issues, I can't workout. Even long walks are often difficult!

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    recumbent bike?
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    your lack of creativity is your biggest issue. Go to Walmart or a sporting good store, look around and put some stuff together
  • bebeof3
    Options
    I tried that and still too much pressure on my lower back. I have a feeling a swimming pool is about it! So frustrating when some days I can barely move! Keep suggestions coming though!
  • bebeof3
    Options
    no doubt my creativity is a problem. I have had 3 surgeries on back and neck in 4 years so I am sure fear plays a major role but the weight gain isn't helping the situation
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a Doctor? And if so has he suggested what physical activities you can benefit from? Are you in physical therapy?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    HOw about yoga? With the approval of your doctor of course.
  • Natasha28
    Options
    Physical Therapy...talk to your doctor. It may be painful at first...but if you stick to your therapy...it WILL build and strengthen your bad back and neck. And evetually you'll be able to do even more. Also...change your diet. It really does help. I'm not just talking calories. People like to say on here that as long as you eat less calories...doesn't matter what you eat. Well, that may be true to an extent...but eating healthy...really makes a difference. And it really makes a difference to your overall health on so many levels. Good luck! I know how hard it is to overcome a challange...as I have many of them myself...but you CAN do it!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Swimming? Water walking?
    I agree, talk to a PT for ideas.
  • Natihilator
    Options
    Swimming is definitely a good activity, and possibly some gentle yoga. If you can't do long walks take short little walks throughout the day. I suffer from upper and lower back and hip pain, and have to modify my activities all the time according to how my body feels during and after exercise. It may just be trial and error to find an activity that won't aggravate your problem zones, just keep good stock of Tylenol and/or Robaxacet. Tiger balm and foam rollers will be your best friends. And of course, it's a good idea to clear any new exercise plans with your doctor/chiropractor/physical therapist first.
  • bfcano
    bfcano Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm sad to hear you've gone through so many surgeries.
    I suppose what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

I would suggest swimming in the pool or even water jogging.
    I did water jogging for a long time when I was injured last year. All you need a floatation belt & the deep end of a pool.
    You just move your legs and arms like you would when your running. The only difference is the running motion is really exaggerated so you need to bring your bent leg up to about a 90 degree angle and then shoot it out straight and swing it back. At first it feels really awkward but it gets better with time.
  • eshanimongia5
    eshanimongia5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I had hurt my back quite horribly a couple months ago. I couldn't sit or sleep, let alone exercise. I ended up gaining some weight I had lost last year. At a certain point, I basically was using my injury as an excuse. I basically stuck to physical therapy and swimming. I slowly started a walking as much as I could. Now my back is nearly healed and I can exercise a lot more. Take it one day at a time. And build up to exercising. Don't injure yourself. Hope you get better soon!
  • Funnyfishat40
    Funnyfishat40 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Not in your situation BUT AM WAITING FOR MY THIRD SURGRY GRRR, sending you sympathy maybe water walking or aqua erotica will help, not much else to suggest but feeling your pain, oh or ask to be referred to the pain clinic maybe they can help with relief to enable you to be more active, hugs xxx
  • Natihilator
    Options
    maybe water walking or aqua erotica

:huh:
  • bebeof3
    Options
    cloudbustr, that is what I am thinking!
  • princesspeanutsmom
    princesspeanutsmom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had a total knee replacement and need another one done so I understand about trying to exercise while in pain. A recumbent bike worked well for me as did water exercises. Don't give up. You just have to be creative.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    DO NOT DO YOGA. Worst thing for a bad back. DO ask your doctor to refer you to physical therapy for back strenghtening exercises and you can ask them what other exercise is safe for you to do. Start eating a healthier diet. It will help. By healthy I mean less processed, fried, fast food and no soda or juices (unless you make the juice yourself)
  • scythian5
    Options
    Where I swim, there are a few people I know who have neck and back issues. They do laps, but rather than do the usual breathing they use a snorkel (and goggles), so they don't need to use their neck,and from their experience, it certainly helps them with their back issues. They have both had back surgery and rely on swimming now to help with pain management and to keep fit.
    Good luck.:smile: