Help... please!

Options
I am frustrated with my eating.... I can have a great day where I follow my calorie intake and then come home and because I am bored, I eat. Days like today are probably my worst when I am home all day long.... I will find myself in front of the fridge looking for food and I am really not hungry! :( I am new to this calorie counting thing... but I know that my weight gain is due to the constant eating.... any ideas how to stop doing this??? All suggestions welcome!! :)

Replies

• DriaD84
    Options
    start keeping fruits, vegetables and really low calorie snacks in your home so that if you can't stop yourself from snacking at least you're snacking on something that is good for you or isn't so high in calories that it messes up your entire day
  • lippygidg
    lippygidg Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    A couple things you can do ... one if your bored of course you can workout :) even just dancing around the house any movement is calorie burning. Another thing I do is before you go to the fridge wait 20 minutes your brain will in that time think of something else besides food. If those dont help ... Chew Gum! nothing taste good with Winterfresh breath :)
  • ladybowe
    Options
    I did that too. My answer to that problem was not to make food that easy to just grab. All of the food I have in the house now is food that needs to be prepared to eat. I have a family of 6 and this has stopped the constant snacking too for them as well. I also cut up veggies ahead of time like celery, carrots, radishes and cucumber and keep them in a zip lock bag so that's the only easy thing to grab quick. Even my kids like this, they will grab some celery sticks and get the peanut butter, lol.

I do not buy chips or junk food anymore. I do keep a bag of pretzels handy though if I'm craving something salty. Also, make sure you're drinking enough water...sometimes our body mistakes thirst for hunger. Try having a cup of water before you snack. Another thing I do is I try to take my mind off of food by doing exercise, housework or even playing a computer game or reading a book. Hope this helps!!
  • pattydi
    pattydi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Its tough,, but you have to first want to do this.. then you have to tell yourself that you have so many calories that you can spend.. kinda like money... when it's gone, it's gone.. It took a few months of really get that into my head! I log every morsal I put in my mouth,, and I don't allow myself to cheat! Best of luck to you hon, and stay strong.. set mini goals for yourself, and celebrate your successes! Just not with cake and icecream!!! lol :smile:
  • hamilton040
    hamilton040 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It's hard I've been home with my 4 kids since restarting my weight loss (day 10) and it gets boring when there doing there own thing and makes me wanna eat. I try to keep out of kitchen all together and keep myself busy and so far it's worked ok
  • gina2378
    gina2378 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! These are great suggestions and I am going to start trying them!!
  • DebbieWhitney68
    Options
    A couple things you can do ... one if your bored of course you can workout :) even just dancing around the house any movement is calorie burning. Another thing I do is before you go to the fridge wait 20 minutes your brain will in that time think of something else besides food. If those dont help ... Chew Gum! nothing taste good with Winterfresh breath :)

Or brush your teeth..
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    When i come home from work, i take my time making dinner and eating it. I sometimes can drag it out 2 hours or more, so that by the time i'm done eating dinner its time for my planned snack, and then time for bed. I eat slow, so i get the satisfaction of constantly eating. I also make tons of vegitables and eat as many as i want. So every night i feel stuffed when i go to bed. I used to think you had to feel hunger pains in order to lose weight, but thats all wrong, i never let myself feel hungry and i always have something healthy, green and low cal around to snack on when i have the munchies. Dieting isn't about starving yourself or ignoring your usual habits like boredom eating, its about making better choices, preplanning, working with who you are to find a way to be yourself and still be a healthy weight.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Here’s my two cents:

Get zero calorie or nearly zero calorie foods and eat 2:1. For example if you get to the fridge, first grab a carrot or celery stick and eat two of those for every one dove chocolate. I keep mine in the fridge door and am trying to make it a habit to grab one each time I open that door.

Buy your favorite treat in small sizes (see previous mention of dove chocolates) and freeze them. Each day pull out ONE and set yourself a small goal (does not have to be weight or health related). I have little snickers squares in the fridge. They are completely inedible frozen.

Cook a bunch of chicken breasts ahead and have them ready throughout the week to toss onto a salad or into a stirfry or to just snack on. This has helped me a TON when things get busy.

Get a water bottle that you really like and keep it with you at all times. Name her because she’s going to become your new best friend. I actually have four now so I can match them to whatever I’m wearing. When I’m at work and I don’t have it people will ask me where my EPWB is. (that’s Ever Present Water Bottle).
  • gina2378
    gina2378 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Here’s my two cents:

Get zero calorie or nearly zero calorie foods and eat 2:1. For example if you get to the fridge, first grab a carrot or celery stick and eat two of those for every one dove chocolate. I keep mine in the fridge door and am trying to make it a habit to grab one each time I open that door.

Buy your favorite treat in small sizes (see previous mention of dove chocolates) and freeze them. Each day pull out ONE and set yourself a small goal (does not have to be weight or health related). I have little snickers squares in the fridge. They are completely inedible frozen.

Cook a bunch of chicken breasts ahead and have them ready throughout the week to toss onto a salad or into a stirfry or to just snack on. This has helped me a TON when things get busy.

Get a water bottle that you really like and keep it with you at all times. Name her because she’s going to become your new best friend. I actually have four now so I can match them to whatever I’m wearing. When I’m at work and I don’t have it people will ask me where my EPWB is. (that’s Ever Present Water Bottle).

Great idea!! Love naming the water bottle!! :)
  • ifoundroadkill
    ifoundroadkill Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Water tons of water, and more water. Did I mention water? Oh and I frequently call my sister when I am about to bored or stress eat or read a book :)
  • GMorrisUK
    GMorrisUK Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You are most certainly not alone on this one!! I think we have all had those days where food becomes the 'go to' for keeping busy. In part of my journey to weight lose I have realised quite simplistically that my body during the day can do two things: CONSUME CALORIES or BURN CALORIES. So, if you are bored - make sure you pick the BURN CALORIES choice. Some of the suggestions above are super! (I like the dancing around the room one...) - but yes, even walking to the bathroom (because of all the water you are drinking/>??? DO DRINK LOTS!) - BURNS rather than CONSUMES.

Also - as stated above - make it as hard as possible for yourself to just 'grab something.' Dont keep grab foods in the house, and if you do, let them be low or no cal foods. (my problem was always grabbing a slice of bread and spreading thick peanut butter on it. - and I never stopped at ONE.) Now I say, "the bread is not for me, its for the rest of the family. IF I take a slice of bread, I am stealing someone else's food!"

Will power - thats what it comes down to! You can do this!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Eat smaller meals and you can have snacks without going over.
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Keep yourself busy with some kind of activity. Everyone's comment above are great. Just know we are here to support you. We all need support sometimes, If your looking for new friends your welcome to add me.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Here's my favorite way to combat boredom nibbling. This is something that was 'common knowledge' or a common trick when my mom was in Weight Watchers in the 70s, and it's how I was raised (not to say that it's how I always acted, lol)

Floss and brush your teeth. Seriously. Do it really really well.
    A) The toothpaste numbs your tongue and you lose your taste for munching on anything.
    B) After working so hard to take care of your teeth, you won't want to 'ruin' your clean mouth.
    C) The length of time you spend doing this will interrupt those food thoughts.
    D) The length of time you spend doing this, you are looking at yourself in the mirror, and that will remind you of your goals.
    E) Your dentist will be so proud of you.
  • HandyASH
    HandyASH Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Remind yourself that you are worth a healthy life.
    Healthy snacks are always a good thing to have around.
    I distract myself by keeping busy, clean out your fridge, bleach the cabinets, clean the windows or light fixtures, clean the base boards, organize your closets, organize and clean the garage, donate items to charity. When I have days like this I distract distract distract myself.