Diabetes and a love for sugar

Options
I used to weigh 310 lbs but then I lost a bunch and now Im down to 158. I always start a new day with the hopes of shedding my last 20 lbs but I falter at the end of the day because I give in to the vending machines or I binge when I get home, on anything I can find. I weighed 151 before christmas but I gained a few over the holidays and I stopped working out...I need help getting back into it, I need motivation. Ontop of it all I am a type one diabetic with a LOVE for sugar. I need help with the cravings, does anybody have any tips or ideas? Anyway I can get motivated again? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is different, but for me the less sugar I eat, the less I crave. If I get back in the habit of eating something sweet every afternoon like I used to, then I will start craving it every day. For me, it is best to avoid sugary sweets on a daily basis.
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulation on an amazing weight loss - 310 to 158 - that is truly incredible. I am just starting out on this life long journey, but I think i agree with the last poster - do your best to stay away from sugary treats. I find the less I eat, the less I want too. And if I do have something, it seems sooo much sweeter than it did before. Granted, staying away is easier said than done. I'm finding if I start my day with protein and no carb and watch the type of carbs I get through the day, I have less cravings for sweets and I don't get as hungry during the day either. The higher the fat/fried content, the more I crave a sweet treat after as well. I'm trying to program myself to be happy with some fruit or higher fibre cereal and yogurt or a flavoured tea with splenda for my sweet evening treat. So far, so good, but I know I will give in once in a while. When that happens, I hope I don't dwell on it and beat myself up about it. Just get back on the wagon and start again tomorrow.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Eliminating white carbs was key for me...they are just hidden sugar cubes made up to look like bread.
    The biggest thing was that I sat down and told myself 'This food isn't going to improve my life.' Over and over...everyday for about 6 months before it finally sunk in. I'm diabetic too and my A1C has gone from 12 to 7 in six months. I feel a lot better now without all the carbs weighing me down. :)

Sorry I know this was about sugar specifically, I just group white carbs and sugar together. :)
  • di1428
    di1428 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is different, but for me the less sugar I eat, the less I crave. If I get back in the habit of eating something sweet every afternoon like I used to, then I will start craving it every day. For me, it is best to avoid sugary sweets on a daily basis.

Totally agree with this......if you could just cut it out for 2 weeks, your cravings will change.
    that is what happened to me. i LOVED my sweets....
    but cut them out for 2 weeks and my cravings have changed...
    you could satisfy your sweet tooth with sugar free things such as sugar free pudding and fudges.
    that is my "sweet" treat at the end of the day..
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    As a fellow diabetic...perhaps a piece of fruit can help quinch the desire for sugar?
    Also, what are your BG's like at that time?
  • winkerbean
    winkerbean Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm a type one diabetic as well and I'd say if you're worried about your waist line you should worry more about calories/carbs and less about sugar (cos, as you know, most T1s are on carb counting treatments) - you can find healthy options to cure that sweet tooth. If I'm craving something high calorie then I'll compromise by having some frozen greek yogurt (the healthy choice ones are pretty ok) with peanut butter swirled in. Or grapes and graham crackers, granny smith apples, etc.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You can try eating dates. They're sweet as hell, but they have a lot of calories. Kinda easy to binge on if you're not careful though (maybe that's just me since I love the flavor and sweetness)