5'4 1410 calories?? help??

Options
I am 5'4, and obviously very overweight. i just changed my diet to mainly veggies, and lean protein. with few whole wheat carbs. I am looking to lose fat. :) MFP caculated my diet to be at 1410 calories, i changed my settings to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. I am doing about 25 minutes of circuit training everyday, and 15 of weight training. How many calories should i be consuming? I am asking this because i see a top where girls are eating 1700 calories and losing weight...I am content on this calorie ammount, but i am afraid i wont drop lbs only eating that ammount...what would you recommend i do??

ETA: my meals are under 400 calories. I am having an omelet for breakfast with 1 piece of whole wheat toast, and water to drink. or ill have a smoothie with blueberries, banana, yogurt. and lunch i have a good size salad, with a can of tuna, veggies, water to drink. and then for dinner a salad again.

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    If you just changed your diet, why not give it a couple weeks to see how it's working, and then decide if you want to alter it?
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    See how it goes and how you feel. I was eating at 1,600 when I first started and after about 5 months, it wasn't enough. I was still hungry so I listened to my body and upped my calories. I'm still losing and I feel so much better. Are you eating back exercise calories too? That also makes a difference.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Start at that and eat your exercise calories back. If that doesn't work, adjust it. I found MFP's "default" settings to work well for me early on… then as I was nearing my goal weight, I had to start making adjustments.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'2 and usually eat between 1100-1600 a day and I have had no problem losing with that calorie intake. I think lately I have been more around the 1400-1600 calories range. I am usually fairly active. Give it some time and then make adjustments as needed. :)
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    You need more complex carbohydrates. At every meal, you should have a vegetable, a protein and a carb. For instance, my lunch today was salad, 0.5 tbsp light dressing, 0.5 tbsp margarine, 7oz sweet potato, and 4oz chicken breast. Dinner was similar but instead I had whole grain brown rice for my carb and asparagus for my vegetable. When eating at a deficit, you will feel much better if you consistently eat balanced meals consisting of real, whole foods.
  • carmelvalleyite
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and wanted to lose 5 lbs and tone up. They recommended 1200 calories a day. I work out 3 times a week
    with weights and on the treadmill for 30 mins at 3.4 mph. I found I was just maintaining my weight with that amount
    of calories so I cut back to about 1000 calories a day and found that works better for me. I eat often during the day
    but just cut back on portions and I'm not hungry doing it that way. Stick with it. Everyone's metabolism is different.
    Be sure to eat a good breakfast and drink enough water. If you can, a few times a day take a brisk 15 minute walk.
    I find that easier than one long walk. Good luck to you!!
  • justmeeh91
    justmeeh91 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    So if i burn 300 calories from exercising during the day, i need to consume 300 more calories?
    I am eating 3 meals a day with really no snacks in between. i think i need to eat more frequently. What do you guys think?
    I am totally new to counting calories and exercising, and everything! so all your input is much appreciated :) I will stick at 1410 calories and see what happens. I am not starving myself, so this is a calorie level i am perfectly fine at i suppose.
  • justmeeh91
    Options
    You need more complex carbohydrates. At every meal, you should have a vegetable, a protein and a carb. For instance, my lunch today was salad, 0.5 tbsp light dressing, 0.5 tbsp margarine, 7oz sweet potato, and 4oz chicken breast. Dinner was similar but instead I had whole grain brown rice for my carb and asparagus for my vegetable. When eating at a deficit, you will feel much better if you consistently eat balanced meals consisting of real, whole foods.

I am having each of those in my meals. I am stick to whole foods. I am not eating anything white. (pasta, white bread, etc). I have 100% whole wheat bread, and kashi whole wheat crackers, and when i have those with a mean, i have one slice, and 1 serving which is 7 crackers. I have cut out all junk and processed stuff besides those 2 wheat products. I am eating salads with tuna or chicken, veggies, and dressing. :)
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    It's really all trial and error. Stick with 1410 and see if you lose. If you're losing more than 2lbs per week, then eat more. Or more than you planned on losing, really. I eat around 1400 and I'm 6'2, so it's definitely not too little for you. Try to NET 1410 by eating back your exercise calories and that should help.

Also, good job on your macros - those are the perfect ratios for prime weight loss.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    If MFP gave you a number...why are you still questioning? Log your food and exercise, stay within your calorie parameters, eat back for burned calories....try it for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. You can always make adjustments later.
    So many of us (me definately included) overthink and overplan and get stuck waiting for perfect data instead of just jumping in and DOING. Just do it. It will be ok. You'll be awesome! You can do this!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If this is the # MFP gave you (with the correct activity amount selected) - than eat 1410 plus your exercise calories back.

Try eating smaller meals more frequently or snacking through the day to see what works for you.

If you are dealing with emotional/stress/boredom eating - take a moment to evaluate your hunger before you eat. Try drinking some water and waiting 10 minutes to see how you feel. If you are still hungry - eat. If you know it is a craving..then try chewing gum.

For some extra information:

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.
  • EOHerrera
    Options
    I see your weight loss has been 8 pounds so far, so that tells me you are doing something right! Sounds like you are eating well balanced meals and you say you're not hungry, so I would stick with that. If at some point you find you are getting hungry, add a fruit snack to your meal plan. I have found that if I eat 1400 calories, I am not hungry and yet I can still lose weight, even without exercising - something I need to still find a routine time-wise that will work for me on a consistent basis. Plus you are drinking water - kudos! I need to work on that, too. Keep up the good work!! You are doing great.
  • justmeeh91
    Options
    If MFP gave you a number...why are you still questioning? Log your food and exercise, stay within your calorie parameters, eat back for burned calories....try it for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. You can always make adjustments later.
    So many of us (me definately included) overthink and overplan and get stuck waiting for perfect data instead of just jumping in and DOING. Just do it. It will be ok. You'll be awesome! You can do this!

I guess i was just questioning because other people i have seen on here, have been following the calorie number that MFP gave them, and they arent losing. and you are right, i think i am over thinking things!!! thank you :) i feel better already just with 1 week of eating clean, whole, good food!!!
  • LilMissTalyn
    LilMissTalyn Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you are not hungry and you are losing then I'd stick with it, but I am a big beleiver in eating back your calories! you still will lose! and if you don't do it all the time, at least on this work out regimen you don't need to feel bad about snacking healthfully in between meals when you DO feel like it! Maybe add some nuts or more fruit in as snacks! But again only if you feel you need it!
  • justmeeh91
    Options
    If this is the # MFP gave you (with the correct activity amount selected) - than eat 1410 plus your exercise calories back.

Try eating smaller meals more frequently or snacking through the day to see what works for you.

If you are dealing with emotional/stress/boredom eating - take a moment to evaluate your hunger before you eat. Try drinking some water and waiting 10 minutes to see how you feel. If you are still hungry - eat. If you know it is a craving..then try chewing gum.

For some extra information:

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.

Thank you!!!! I will go and check them all out right now!
  • justmeeh91
    Options
    It's really all trial and error. Stick with 1410 and see if you lose. If you're losing more than 2lbs per week, then eat more. Or more than you planned on losing, really. I eat around 1400 and I'm 6'2, so it's definitely not too little for you. Try to NET 1410 by eating back your exercise calories and that should help.

Also, good job on your macros - those are the perfect ratios for prime weight loss.

I am going to stick with this ammount, and see what it yields. also, i cant take credit for knowing what percent to put the macros on ;) my lovely friends on MFP helped me out, because i couldnt understand why i kept going over my protein goal! thank you. :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Here is another link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

It gives you the formulas needed to figure what you should set your macros at (your proteins, carbs and fats). It also gives instructions on how to change them if needed. Hope this helps as well :)