What's so special about brown rice?

Options
I have always heard that brown rice is sooooo much better for you than white rice. But I just decided to look for myself and now I don't get where this comes from.

I compared 100g of white and brown rice here: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5707/2 and here: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5722/2

One of the big selling points I have heard about brown rice is the high fiber content, but based on these numbers it is only a 1% difference so not all that significant. The glycemic index is essentially the same. Total calories actually slightly favors the white rice (though again, it is an insignificant difference).

The brown rice has slightly more protein, but again only a 1% difference.

Some experts are saying that brown rice contains phytic acid that somehow interferes with the uptake of nutrients. This seems like a small strike against brown rice. Speaking of nutrients, research also tells me that while brown rice is higher in certain nutrients (e.g. selenium and manganese) white rice is higher in other important nutrients (e.g. folate and thiamine). So let's just call nutrient content a wash.

Actually, that is my whole point: it seems like the pros and cons between the two are minor and essentially a wash. So how did brown rice get such a good rep while white rice got shoved to the curb?

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    The brown rice has more: Vitamins, Minerals, Protein, Fiber.

If you think those things are NOT good for the body, then yes, I could see why you'd think white rice is better.

And your numbers are wrong. 2g to 4g is NOT 1%, it is 100% difference.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    brown rice is NOT processed .... its closerr to its natural state and unlike white rice, it is a whole grain
  • Andreinne
    Options
    I suppose it might depend on what brand you look to buy.....try to go to your local supermarket, and compare for yourself, rather than looking to the internet.
    Grab white rice, and brown rice, of the same brand, and compare them, and see if different brands maybe have different amounts of the "good stuff"(i.e. fiber, vitamins, minerals, etc)
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that as well and I can't explain it. I did find this:

http://www.usarice.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=106

and the only thing I can figure is that the white rice nutritional data is for enriched rice. For now, I'll just stick with the "brown rice is closer to the natural form, so it is probably better for you" theory.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that as well and I can't explain it. I did find this:

http://www.usarice.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=106

and the only thing I can figure is that the white rice nutritional data is for enriched rice. For now, I'll just stick with the "brown rice is closer to the natural form, so it is probably better for you" theory.

right, white rice is bleached, enriched with excess baddies...
  • rshields9093
    rshields9093 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The brown rice has more: Vitamins, Minerals, Protein, Fiber.
    Well, that is simply not true based on what I have been reading. The brown rice is higher in some good stuff while the white rice is higher in other good stuff (presumably b/c it has been fortified, but the numbers are still the numbers).
    If you think those things are NOT good for the body, then yes, I could see why you'd think white rice is better.
    Of course I know that nutrients are good for the body. But as I clearly stated in my OP and above, they each have their pros and cons regarding micro nutrients and the differences in macro nutrients are not very significant (for example, one more gram of protein per 100g serving is not that exciting).
    And your numbers are wrong. 2g to 4g is NOT 1%, it is 100% difference.

Actually, I think you were comparing the 1 cup serving sizes but those volumes have different weights. I was quoting information from a 100g serving size for brown and white so that we are comparing the exact same amount of each. So the difference is 2g vs. 3g for protein and a difference of 1g vs. 2g for fiber . I was attempting to make the statement that that was only a 1 gram difference but I confused the issue by saying it is a 1% difference. My apologies for not stating that more clearly.

Anyway, I am not trying to change anyone's mind about brown rice. Heck, I don't have my own mind made up. I just know that I used to avoid white rice like the plague and on further inspection there just doesn't seem to be a huge difference between them and was seeking other opinions on the topic.

I think Gaucho put it perfectly that brown rice is simply less processed and that alone is a pretty good tool for choosing better foods.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest difference is that white rice has some of the grain removed, which is why it cooks so quickly, and why brown rice takes longer to cook. http://www.livestrong.com/article/404203-is-whole-grain-brown-rice-a-good-carb/ Also, brown rice has the ability to help lower cholesterol from your body. http://www.livestrong.com/article/321153-does-rice-lower-cholesterol/
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It's tasty :blushing:
  • regina456
    Options
    I've heard that in general most white carbs (bread, flour, rice, pasta) are addictive in nature so you tend to eat a lot more of them than you would of their wholegrain counterpart, so that could be why brown rice gets a better rap than white.
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It's tasty :blushing:

Quite right. Apart from which, studies show that most studies are paid for by people who have an interest in the results of the study and should perhaps be taken with a bit of your daily sodium allowance.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    it seems like the pros and cons between the two are minor and essentially a wash. So how did brown rice get such a good rep while white rice got shoved to the curb?

There is a movement out there demonizing "white" foods (white rice, white pasta, etc.).

Personally, I prefer white rice, and I don't see a huge difference in nutritional quality versus brown rice either.

Generally speaking, eating foods as close to their natural state as reasonably possible is good, but that doesn't mean a processed version is significantly worse if you prefer the taste or enjoy it more for your recipes.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    There is a movement out there demonizing "white" foods (white rice, white pasta, etc.).

Ricist food movement is ricist!!!!!
    2v7xmva.jpg
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Brown rice tastes better to me.

That's the ONLY reason I prefer it.

White pasta tastes loads better than whole wheat. I will never eat whole wheat pasta.

I get vitamins/minerals/fiber in all my other foods throughout the whole day. One serving of a "white" food isn't going to kill me.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

2v7xmva.jpg

QFT
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    i don't detect a difference in taste between white rice (bland) and brown rice (bland), so if the brown rice is marginally better in nutrition, then why not choose brown rice?

also, i buy brown rice so that racist eel above doesn't judge me.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Brown rice tastes better to me.

That's the ONLY reason I prefer it.

White pasta tastes loads better than whole wheat. I will never eat whole wheat pasta.

I get vitamins/minerals/fiber in all my other foods throughout the whole day. One serving of a "white" food isn't going to kill me.

whole wheat pasta tastes like dirt LOL I eat brown rice pasta lol
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

2v7xmva.jpg

Is that a conger eel? I like them on white rice, so I can see why he'd have an opinion on this :laugh:

Fibre is a big deal in our family (DS's health issues) so we have brown rice at home. However, I do let DS have white rice too, partly because it's tasty and partly because, as he's 50% Japanese, it's part of his heritage. I want to try nanabun rice, which is meant to be 7/10 wholegrain.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    i don't detect a difference in taste between white rice (bland) and brown rice (bland), so if the brown rice is marginally better in nutrition, then why not choose brown rice?

Some brown rice has a nuttier flavor. I like it fine..but...

Don't mess with my white rice. That's all I'm saying :P hahahah...

And I figure if a lot of my ancestors ate it and ended up okay....maybe I might luck out and be okay too....
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

And I figure if a lot of my ancestors ate it and ended up okay....maybe I might luck out and be okay too....

for me, rice is just the bed on which tastier stuff is placed. so white or brown makes no difference to me, so if brown rice is marginally more nutritious, then that seems marginally better to me.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

for me, rice is just the bed on which tastier stuff is placed. so white or brown makes no difference to me, so if brown rice is marginally more nutritious, then that seems marginally better to me.

Well, I was raised on it..heavily. I can totally taste and even smell (sometimes) the difference between American rice and Asian rice real fast. And yes, I actually order Japanese rice..lol.