What works for you?

Options
Hey all, I'm new to this diet thing, but I have to start somewhere! Right now I'm just limiting calories and trying to cut back, but not completely eliminate the sodas in my life. If I eliminate them completely, it makes me crave them more and then I go nuts with them.. I am doing the calorie counter program for MFP and it has me at 1800 calories a day I think, I'd have to relook at it. My thing is I can't do the calorie intake it wanted me to originally to lose 2 lbs a week b/c I'm nursing my baby and I have to have a minimum of 1800 calories a day, so with that, what all is working for you? I like to eat, there is no doubt, but in my pregnancy, I completely burned myself out of cereal, so for breakfast, that is out, possibly a snack sometime, but I'm rarely in the mood for it anymore. I like Greek yogurt, but have to be in the mood for it. I'm just worried in counting calories, I'm going to get frustrated easily. The program does make it easier, but I'm not the healthiest eater in the world that's for sure!! Anyway, let me know what works for you so I can be inspired!! Thanks, Shannon

Replies

• Mom2Three_ACG
    Options
    bump
  • fumanskew
    Options
    since you're nursing, have you talked to your doctor about how they feel about you getting on an eating plan?
  • lalarox
    lalarox Posts: 37
    Options
    I make sure I am eating something about every 2 hours. Breakfast at 8, snack at 10, lunch 12, snack 2 and then I have a gap until my dinner. I try and stick with a fruit or veggie and some hummus for my snacks and either oatmeal or toast with peanut butter/fruit for breakfast. Typically my snacks are about 200 cals, my lunch usually about 300-350. But I agree, check with your doc to make sure you are having enough calories and make your calories count by eating foods with more bang for your buck (or calorie ;-)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding requires about an additional 500 calories a day so make sure you have them included in your numbers.

What works for me:

- eat primarily nutritious foods at a reasonable caloric deficit
    - hit my macros
    - do not restrict and food or food groups and enjoy 'treats'
    - weigh/measure and log everything accurately (get yourself a digital food scale if you do not have one)
    - strength train
    - eat ice-cream every day
    - focus on non-weight loss goals/progress
    - I do not eat in the morning so I have bigger meals in the afternoon/evening