New to mfp, looking to lower cholesterol.

Options
Hi, I am Dan
I am starting a new fitness program, not new to fitness. I am relatively fit and starting new gym membership. Lots of new machines to try. My cardiologist recomended lipitor which I will not take, so I am looking for any and all alternatives. Any tips, advice or success stories would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• jnackenson
    jnackenson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    1) supplement with a good quality fish oil pill. add up the EPA/DHA per pill...have enough pills to get around 3g combined EPA/DHA

2) move to a diet thats mostly high protein/fat and low carb.
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Not sure how far you are willing to change your diet but I would recommend checking out Forks over Knives or the Engine 2 diet. There are many people that have had great success in lowering cholesterol and getting off their medications.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I dropped my cholesterol 30 points in just a couple of months. I cranked up my dietary fiber, started taking omega 3's (fish oil), cut out saturated fats (red meats etc.), and kept up with my cardio. Good luck!

ETA: I'm on a moderate protein, low fat, high carb diet.
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Amen on the Forks over Knives and Engine 2 Diet. You might also read Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. I'm not an expert in any way but seems to me that if you want to lower your cholesterol you need to eat less animal protein since it's the source of the cholesterol.
  • lisamarie327
    lisamarie327 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wyogirl44
    Options
    My father was a cardiologist, and he always recommended smaller portions. He would say, "Serve yourself your normal portion, and then put 1/3 back in the pot." He used this same method when he found himself getting a little...chunky after a cruise, or vacation, or just from being sedentary (he had health issues so he couldn't "work out" like we do). My mother, an RN/MBN also had this issue along with high blood pressure. She is a big time walker as this helped her lower her levels along with a low-fat diet with her main sources of protein coming from nuts and fish.
    I am currently working on this myself and find that I have to completely ignore any greasy foods, processed foods or take-out of any kind, and I also am on Red Yeast supplements (my mother also has been taking these to help). All natural and over time it will help to lower that number. Wishing you best of luck as I totally understand and can empathize. :)
  • trytbfit
    trytbfit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    my hubby had to lower his cholesterol also.. eat oatmeal every day for 3 months for breakfast, get retested, it really helps. and of course as everyone else says exercise.
  • janinealfke
    Options
    I agree that good quality fish oil is a good option. If you eat healthier, and watch carbs, sugar, and fat...your cholesterol should go down naturally. Mine did. Best of luck!!!
  • kenphan142
    Options
    You should try this product Benecol Smart Chews. I had a blood test after using Benecol for two months and my good cholesterol went up and the bad went down. Very happy with the results. Give it a try http://besthealthproduct.net/benecol-smart-chews-caramel-120-count-soft-chews/
  • gettingfitnana303
    Options
    Hi, I am here to lose some weight and to also lower my cholestral. Had a physical in Dec and my doctor told me to lose some weight and to try the mediterrean diet to lower my cholestral. Lots of veggies, fruit, olive oil, fish, grains, legumes and limited red meat. Occasional red wine also. I am trying.