How to Keep (and even gain) Muscle Mass?

Options
I've been part of MFP for a year now. Lost about 40lbs last year (probably would have lost more, but I was pregnant last year too, and my goal then was to gain healthy weight). I'm up to 47 total lbs lost total already (but I only gave birth 6 weeks ago). My goal isn't just weightloss though - I want to make sure I maintain my lean body mass, and even build more muscle. What is it I need to be doing to accomplish that? My "base" calories a day is 1300, but I add 200 for nursing my toddler, and about 450 more because I pump my milk to donate. Then most days I exercise and burn another 200-400. I try to get within 100 calories of my goal each day, so I'm eating about 1900-2400 calories a day. I'm not eating a *ton* of protein (or maybe I am, but I don't know what's considered normal and what's a lot), but I'm going to start trying to eat more - the question is, how much do I need? Does eating protein actually help that much, or is that more of a myth?

Also, my lean body mass is at 112lbs (according to a bioimpendence analysis I had done), and my fat mass is 63lbs. Based on that, what's an ideal weight for me? I'm terrible at figuring out the math. I'm 5'1" tall as well, but the charts tell me anywhere from 115-130 is healthy, but based on my LBM, 115lbs would be unhealthy for me...right? Anyways, someone who understands all this, please give me some tips. I would LOVE to gain more lean muscle mass, but if that's not possible, then I at least want to maintain what I have.

The exercise I currently do is walking and light exercise games on the Wii. I'm only 6 weeks postpartum from a c-section, so I can't start running or doing Jillian Michaels workouts again for another 2-6 weeks (depending on how I feel....hopefully I'll be doing it again right at 8 weeks, but I have to take it slow or risk tearing my incision). Thanks!

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I've been part of MFP for a year now. Lost about 40lbs last year (probably would have lost more, but I was pregnant last year too, and my goal then was to gain healthy weight). I'm up to 47 total lbs lost total already (but I only gave birth 6 weeks ago). My goal isn't just weightloss though - I want to make sure I maintain my lean body mass, and even build more muscle. What is it I need to be doing to accomplish that? My "base" calories a day is 1300, but I add 200 for nursing my toddler, and about 450 more because I pump my milk to donate. Then most days I exercise and burn another 200-400. I try to get within 100 calories of my goal each day, so I'm eating about 1900-2400 calories a day. I'm not eating a *ton* of protein (or maybe I am, but I don't know what's considered normal and what's a lot), but I'm going to start trying to eat more - the question is, how much do I need? Does eating protein actually help that much, or is that more of a myth?
    Strength training and adequate protein intake will do wonders to help preserve lean body mass while in a caloric deficit. Protein gives the body the "building blocks" it needs to repair/replenish muscle. Common recommendations are anywhere from 0.8g to 1g per pound of lean body mass to 0.8g - 1g per pound of bodyweight...so given your stats, a minimum of somewhere around 89g - 112g protein per day would be a good starting point. Here's a thread which discusses it further, with links to peer-reviewed studies:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake

The stresses of strength training signals the body that it needs to hold on to muscle mass to meet the demands being placed on it. The body doesn't know whether you're lifting weights or carrying mastodons back to the cave for food - all it knows is that these demands for strength are being placed on it, and it needs to preserve muscle mass to meet them. You'll still lose some muscle mass while in a caloric deficit - but the ratio will be much lower than it would from diet or cardio only.

As far as gaining muscle mass - the simple fact is that it's not going to happen to a great degree while in a caloric deficit. Here's an article which discusses it in depth:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html

Mass gain is made even more difficult for women, who have less muscle mass to start with and about 1/10 the testosterone of men (which is why women shouldn't worry about "getting bulky" - it's just not going to happen. Go to this link and scroll down to the section titled "How Fast Can You Actually Gain Muscle Mass?":

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    "carrying mastodons back to the cave for food"

LOL...That made me giggle, but it makes sense why I should be strength training..so would things like wearing a heavy backpack (or my toddler) while walking be considered strength training, or would it be considered cardio, because it gets my heart rate up? Also, what about things like the Jillian Michaels videos? Are those considered just cardio or a mixture of both? Basically, I don't know what differentiates cardio from strength training. I don't have access to weights or anything (closest 24/7 gym is 65 miles away, and we only have 1 car in the family), but surely there are things I can do otherwise to count as strength training?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar enough with Jillian Michaels' videos (or any other exercise videos) to say whether they have an element of strength training in them or not. Most that I've seen/heard of are primarily cardio.

If you don't have access to a gym or weight equipment, there are plenty of bodyweight exercises you can do for strength training. Google "Convict Conditioning" and/or "You Are Your Own Gym". I believe there are also some free websites that offer bodyweight strength training programs, but I don't have links to any of them off the top of my head.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Keeping muscle mass while on a calorie deficit is done with strength training, not cardio made up to look like strength training (I.e. anything in a Jillian Michaels video). Pick up heavy weights and put them down again. Repeat. You need to stimulate the muscle tissue with resistance, not lift those cute little Barbie weights a bazillion times. That is cardio and it is for muscular endurance.